Doubront warming up before the Boston Red Sox at Baltimore Orioles game, September 28, 2011
October 23, 1987 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|June 18, 2010 for the Boston Red Sox|
(through August 16, 2014)
|Earned run average||4.82|
|Career highlights and awards|
Félix Antonio Doubront [doo-Bront] (born October 23, 1987) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher with the Chicago Cubs of Major League Baseball. Listed at 6'2", 200 lb., Doubront bats and throws left-handed.
Doubront was 17 years old when he entered the minors in 2005 with the VSL Red Sox (rookie), playing for them one year before joining the GCL Red Sox (rookie, 2006), Lowell Spinners (A–, 2006–2007), Greenville Drive (A, 2007–2008) and Lancaster JetHawks (A+, 2008). His most productive season came in 2008, when he posted a combined 13–9 record with a 3.76 ERA in 119 ⅓ innings of work.
Boston Red Sox
He made his Major League debut on June 18, 2010 versus the Los Angeles Dodgers. Doubront pitched five innings, gave up three earned runs, walked two, and struck out two for the win. It was a spot start and Doubront was optioned back to Pawtucket after the game. He was later recalled on July 5 after Clay Buchholz joined a long list of banged-up Red Sox players to go on the disabled list. Doubront made two more starts and lost both of them before being optioned on July 17. He was recalled August 6, and returned to the Red Sox roster as a reliever.
Doubront entered the 2012 season as one of the Red Sox starters, beating out Aaron Cook and Alfredo Aceves in spring training. Despite slow starts for Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester, and Daniel Bard's demotion to the minors, Doubront got off to a good start, earning 5 wins and 2 losses in his first ten starts. In June, Doubront took a no hitter into the sixth inning against the Miami Marlins. He finished the game giving up two runs on three hits and earned a win. He ended the season with a positive first year having a full-time starting job, with a record of 11-10.
Doubront turned in another effective season in 2013, posting an 11-6 record over 27 starts for a Red Sox team that would win 97 games and a World Championship. Doubront pitched out of the bullpen in the postseason, earning his first career postseason victory in Game 4 of the 2013 World Series.
Doubront's main pitches are a four-seam and two-seam fastball that range between 90–95 mph. He also throws a cut fastball (87–89), a big curveball (76–80), and a changeup (85–88) that is used mostly against right-handed hitters. His deceptive delivery results in hitters not being able to pick up the ball until late. The late pick-up also makes his fastball look faster to opposing hitters.
- 2005 - BRS Minor League Latin pitcher of the month (July)
- 2005 - BRS Minor League Latin pitcher of the year
- 2006 - BRS prospects All-Star (LH starting pitcher)
- 2008 - BRS prospects pitcher of the week (July 28 - August 3)
- 2008 - BRS prospects pitcher of the week (August 18–24)
- 2008 - BRS prospects All-Star (starting pitcher)
- 2008 - South Atlantic League All-Star
- 2009 - Portland Sea Dogs Pitcher of the Year
- "Ortiz homers as Red Sox beat Dodgers in Manny return". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 18, 2010. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Chimelis, Ron (June 19, 2010). "Red Sox add reliever Robert Manuel and send Felix Doubront to Triple A". The Republican. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Edes, Gordon (July 5, 2010). "http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5356471". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Red Sox RHP Buchholz ready to return Wednesday". Fox News. Associated Press. July 17. 2010. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- McDonald (August 6, 2010). "Hideki Okajima sent to DL (hamstring)". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Abraham, Peter (April 2, 2012). "Doubront, Bard put in rotation". Boston Globe. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Felix Doubront shines as Red Sox pound reeling Marlins". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 13, 2012. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Perry, Dayn (July 30, 2014). "Red Sox trade Felix Doubront to Cubs". cbssports.com. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- Cohen, Jay; Golen, Jimmy (July 31, 2014). "Cubs acquire struggling LHP Doubront from Red Sox". ESPN.com. Associated Press. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Felix Doubront". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- First Inning chart