Location of Föglö in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Niklas Eriksson|
|• Total||1,869.02 km2 (721.63 sq mi)|
|• Land||134.78 km2 (52.04 sq mi)|
|• Water||1,734.24 km2 (669.59 sq mi)|
|Area rank||47th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||329th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.24/km2 (11.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Swedish||90.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.9%|
|• 15 to 64||60.1%|
|• 65 or older||25%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||17.25%|
The municipality has a population of 571 (30 September 2014) and covers an area of 1,869.02 square kilometres (721.63 sq mi) of which 1,734.24 km2 (669.59 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.24 inhabitants per square kilometre (11.0/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Swedish, yet in the last decade there has been some immigration from Estonia and Latvia due to the need of employees at the fish farms, the main industry in Föglö. The municipality is connected only by ferries to Lumparland which has road connection to Mariehamn, and by ferries to Kumlinge where there is a ferry to mainland Finland. There are plans to build a road tunnel to Lemland, likely to be opened around 2015.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.09.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Föglö at Wikimedia Commons
|This Åland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|