From left to right: Amber, Victoria, Krystal, Sulli, Luna
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||Pop, K-pop, electropop, dance-pop|
|Labels||S.M. Entertainment (South Korea)
Avex Taiwan (Taiwan-R.O.C.)
United Asia Management
|Associated acts||SM Town|
f(x) (pron.: / /; Korean: 에프엑스) is a South Korean girl group formed by SM Entertainment in 2009. The quintet consists of Victoria, Amber, Luna, Sulli, and Krystal. The name is a play on the mathematical notation for function. The group made their debut on September 5, 2009 with release of the digital single "LA chA TA". f(x) released their first EP Nu ABO in 2010 to growing popularity. f(x) released their first studio album Pinocchio in 2011. The lead single off the album "Pinocchio (Danger)" gained their first music program win and was their first song to win the triple crown.
They released their second Korean EP Electric Shock on June 10, 2012. Electric Shock reached the #1 spot on both the US and Canadian iTunes electronic albums chart soon after its release. The lead single off their EP gained significant popularity and acclaim, domestically sweeping digital charts.
Pre-debut history 
Krystal Jung was first spotted by SM Entertainment in 2000 on a family visit to Korea, which earned her a small role in a short segment of Shinhwa's "Wedding March" music video. Sulli first debuted as a child actress in 2005 when she was selected to play young Princess Sun-hwa in the SBS television drama, The Ballad of Seo-dong. In 2006, SM Entertainment recruited Luna after seeing her performing on SBS's television program, "Truth Game". Victoria was spotted by a S.M. Entertainment's agent at a Beijing dance competition, and later joined the company. Two months later, Amber was cast through SM's Global Auditions in Los Angeles, California, where she was one of two people (one male) selected to be trainees.
2009: Debut, first single album, and collaborations 
SM first released a teaser preview of the group via YouTube on August 24, introducing them as "Asia's Pop Dance Group." For five days, SM individually released information through news portals and posted pictures of each member on SM Town's official website, starting with Korean member Sulli on August 26, Taiwanese-American member Amber on August 27, Korean-American member Krystal on August 28, Korean member Luna on August 29, and lastly the Chinese member Victoria on August 30.
On September 1, the group's first single "LA chA TA" was digitally released. Following their first performance at the Samseong-dong Fashion Center on September 2, the music video was screened and released online the next day. The group's first broadcast performance of "LA chA TA" was held at MBC's music show Show! Music Core on September 5.
On October 7, the group also released the electro-pop version of the digital single, "Chocolate Love", alongside their label mate Girls' Generation. The single was released for the promotion of the 4th edition Blacklabel series of LG CYON phone, LG Chocolate (BL40).
On November 9, f(x) released their first single album, Chu~♥, which consists of 3 songs.
2010: Nu ABO, Amber's hiatus, and SMTown World Tour 
On January 2, the group released the Chinese track, "Lollipop", a cover version of the 1958 song "Lollipop" – written by Julius Dixson and Beverly Ross, for which they collaborated with the Chinese boy band, M.I.C, to promote the LG Cyon phone. The music video was digitally released on January 12, 2010, they also made a Korean version of the song with label mates SHINee but no music video was made.
On February 27 and 28, the group appeared once again as special guests on Into the New World concert in Olympic Fencing Gymnasium.
On May 4, f(x) released their first mini-album, Nu ABO, consisting of 6 tracks. The lead single, "Nu ABO", topped online music portal charts Monkey3, Dosirak and Bugs. The song also made it to the Gaon Chart weekly number-one singles. The music video for the song was released on May 6. The group made their live comebacks on KBS's Music Bank on May 7, MBC's Music Core on May 8 and SBS's Inkigayo on May 9.
Amber went on hiatus on June due to an ankle injury. The remaining group activities of the year 2010 were carried out without her.
On July 17, the group started performing their next promotional single, "Mr. Boogie", from their mini-album, Nu ABO. They had their first performance for the song on MBC's Music Core.
f(x) also participated in the SMTown Live '10 World Tour alongside their label-mates on August 21 at Seoul Jamsil Olympic Stadium. They also performed in Tokyo, Shanghai, Los Angeles, and Paris (2011) on later dates. This marks the first time f(x) and their fellow label-mate groups performed outside of Asia.
On November 24, 2010, Avex Entertainment, as well as SM Entertainment Japan, released a statement about the renewal of contracts of SM artists signed to Avex. It stated that f(x) is now signed to Avex, and its albums will be released under the said label in Japan, Taiwan, China, and Hong Kong.
2011: Pinocchio and Hot Summer 
The first teaser photo for their full-length album entitled Pinocchio was released on April 7, 2011 at the f(x) official website. The MV teaser for the lead single, "Pinocchio (Danger)" (a remake of Kristine Elezaj's "Razor"), was released on April 15, 2011. The album was released on April 20, 2011 and the group held their first comeback stage through KBS’s Music Bank on April 22, 2011.
The group have achieved 8-wins with "Pinocchio (Danger)" from the music shows, namely M! Countdown, Music Bank and Inkigayo.
On June 8, it was announced that f(x) would be releasing their repackaged album of Pinocchio, titled "Hot Summer", on the 14th. It included all 10 songs from their first album and new track "Hot Summer" (a re-recording of a Monrose song), written by Thomas Troelsen and Remee), their OST song for "Paradise Ranch" and digital singles "Chu" and "LA chA TA."
2012-13: SMTown Tour, Electric Shock, Japanese debut, and SXSW 
F(x) participated in SMTown Live World tour in Anaheim at Honda Center on May 20, 2012 and in Hsinchu,Taiwan at Hsinchu County Stadium on June 9, 2012 with their label mates.
It was confirmed that f(x) would be making a comeback in either June or July. However, SM later confirmed on June 5, 2012 that the girls would be releasing a new mini-album titled Electric Shock on music sites such as iTunes on June 10, 2012. On June 5, SM Entertainment has released a teaser image of Krystal for their comeback mini-album Electric Shock. On the following day, SM released teaser photos of Victoria and Sulli. On the following day SM released f(x)'s album cover and M! Countdown's teaser images. On June 8, SM released teaser photos of Luna and Amber. Along on that day, they released a video teaser for "Electric Shock".
After releasing a series of teaser images and an MV teaser, f(x) have released their newest EP ‘Electric Shock‘ digitally on June 10, 2012. f(x) began promotions for "Electric Shock" on M.net's M! Countdown on June 14 and also performed "Jet" as part of a special comeback stage. The group performed "Electric Shock" on various music shows such as Music Bank, Music Core and Inkigayo.
The group will begin its Japanese promotions by releasing its hit track Hot Summer in mid-August. The track has already been selected as the CM background song for Uminoie Resort, giving fans in Japan a first listen to the spunky track. On June 27, 2012, f(x) Japanese official website went online. f(x) ended their Electric Shock promotions on July 15, and began preparing for their Japanese debut. Representatives of SM Entertainment had released, “Although we haven’t come out with a definite schedule yet, we will be preparing [f(x)] for their official Japanese debut during the second half of the year.” They continued to ensure Korean fans, “f(x) will be attending to Korean activities occasionally alongside their Japanese activities.” A preview for their debut Japanese single, a remake of their 2011 Korean hit, "Hot Summer", was released on July 31, 2012.
On January 29, 2013 at the press conference for 10th Annual Korean Music Awards, it was announced that the songs "Electric Shock" and "Jet," both releases from their second EP were nominated for the same category "Best Dance & Electronic Song." In regards to the two songs being nominated in the same category, a representative of the KMAs said "This is due to the corresponding songs having excellent music reviews and rather than disregarding them because it is from the same artist, we chose to recognize their excellence." The 10th Annual KMAs will be held on February 28.
It was revealed through the press on February 11, 2013 that f(x) would be performing at the 2013 SXSW South By Southwest held in Austin, Texas. SXSW is one of the biggest annual music conference and festival events in the United States. It will be held from March 8-17, and f(x) will be one of 11 K-pop artists to perform.
Other activities 
Original Soundtrack 
In late 2009, Luna and Krystal contributed to the soundtrack of television series Invincible Lee Pyung Kang with a duet, "Hard but Easy".
In early 2010, Krystal, Luna and Amber also recorded the song "Spread Its Wings" for the soundtrack of the KBS's drama, God of Study. Krystal and Luna recorded a duet song for the KBS's drama Cinderella's Sister original soundtrack, called "Calling Out".
In late 2010, Luna released a single "Beautiful Day", as part of the official soundtrack of the KBS drama 'Please Marry Me'. On December 23, 2010, a duet collaboration between Luna and Super Junior's Yesung was released, titled “And I Love You“, for the second original soundtrack of KBS's President.
Television and Acting careers 
Krystal appeared on a daily Korean sitcom called "More Charming by the Day" which started from March 22, 2010 to November 2, 2010. The sitcom has total of 138 episodes but Krystal appeared from the 60th episode.
On April 2, 2010, Y-Star started airing first variety show of the group, Hello f(x). The program consisted of four episodes which showed close coverage on their preparations for the first mini-album, Nu ABO.
From May 2010, F(x) members started to appear in variety show on regular basis. Victoria was cast in We Got Married to become a couple with Nichkhun from 2PM. They were a couple for a little over a year and were the only couple to have crossed seasons. She was also cast as regular member of Invincible Youth, and appeared in the show until it ended in December 2010. Luna appeared in Star King and became regular member of the show. She went on to win "New Star" (신인상) award in 2010 SBS Entertainment Award (2010 연예대상). Sulli was cast as the co-host of Inkigayo (인기가요) along with Jo Kwon from 2AM and Jung Yong Hwa of C.N.Blue. She is still hosting the show with Jo Kwon, along with new co-hosts IU and Lee Gi Kwang
In late 2010, members Victoria, Sulli and Krystal became model endorsers for the clothing brand, Calvin Klein's X Jeans. A music video for the song, "Beautiful Day", was released in December 2010 to endorse the brand. The group also endorsed another clothing brand, K-Swiss, for their 2010 winter collection.
In addition to those endorsements, Victoria also was featured in Kangta's music video of his song 爱，频率 ("Love，Frequency"/"Breaka Shaka").
From May 2011 through August 2011, Krystal appeared as a contestant on Kim Yuna's celebrity ice skating show, "Kim Yuna's Kiss and Cry." After consistently scoring near the top of the competition, Krystal and her partner Lee Don Hun won the show with their flawless performance of "Carmen." Krystal and Lee Don Hun were later invited to participate in "Kim Yuna's Ice Show—All That Skate Summer 2011" on August 14 and 15.
Towards the end of the year, f(x) members pursued individual acting activities. On September 19, 2011, MBC aired the first episode of "High Kick 3," a daily sitcom show in which Krystal starred as one of the lead roles. In October, Amber was cast as a member of the second season of Invincible Youth. In November, Victoria starred alongside Super Junior's Kyuhyun in TRAX's music video for the song "Blind". In December, CSTV began airing the weekend drama "Saving Mrs. Go Bong Shil", which features Luna in the role of Seo In Young.
Korean discography 
Japanese discography 
Music videos 
|"LA chA TA"||3:26||Debut Single|
|"Chocolate Love" (electro-pop version)||3:49||Commercial film for the LG's Chocolate.|
|"Chu" (stylized as "Chu~♥")||3:18|
|"Lollipop"||3:14||Commercial film for LG's Lollipop.|
|"Thrill Love"||2:57||OST for the drama of Hungry Romeo, Luxury Juliet.|
|"Beautiful Day"||1:22||Commercial film for Calvin Klein's X Jeans.|
|"Hot Summer" (Japanese Ver.)||3:58|
Supporting act 
- Girls' Generation The 1st Asia Tour : Into the New World
- Super Junior The 3rd Asia Tour : Super Show 3
- Shinee The 1st Concert: Shinee World
- Super Junior The World Tour: Super Show 4
Other concert participation 
Music Programs 
Music Bank 
|2011||April 29||"Pinocchio (Danger)"|
|2012||June 22||"Electric Shock"|
M! Countdown 
|2011||May 5||"Pinocchio (Danger)"|
|June 30||"Hot Summer"|
|2012||June 21||"Electric Shock"|
|2011||May 8||"Pinocchio (Danger)"|
|June 26||"Hot Summer"|
|2012||July 1||"Electric Shock"|
Show Champion 
|2012||June 26||"Electric Shock"|
Other Media 
On June 1, 2011, S.M. Entertainment, together with NEOWIZ Internet Corporation, Ltd, released an iPhone application which features f(x)'s album, Pinocchio. The app can be downloaded for free on iTunes. and f(x)'s First Mini Album "NU ABO" for iPhone/iPod Touch. The app can be purchased for US$4.99 on iTunes.
On March 19, 2012. S.M Entertainment.co.,Ltd. released 2012 f(x) Diary app for iOS.
|2012||"I AM."||Documentary of SMTown Live '11 World Tour in New York||As themselves|
Television series 
|2010||YStar "Hello f(x)"|
|2010–2011||MBC "f(x)'s Koala"||Amber didn't participate in the series due to an ankle injury.|
|2010 – present||SBS "Star King"||members are recurring in the show|
|2013||MBC "Amazing f(x)"|
See also 
- "S.M. Entertainment Japan, Avex Group Strengthen Ties". www.avex.co.jp. Avex Group. December 7, 2010.
- (Korean)"SM rookie, f(x) member Sulli was a child actress". MSN Korea. August 26, 2009. p. 1. Retrieved August 28, 2009.
- "How f(x) members Luna and Krystal Got Noticed by SM". allkpop.com. September 2, 2009. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- (Korean)"소녀시대·에프엑스 ‘뉴초콜릿폰’ CF, "전혀 다르네"". ibtimes.co.kr. IBT. October 9, 2009. Retrieved November 16, 2010.
- "f(x)’s NU ABO is already No. 1 on the charts". allkpop.com. May 5, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "omonatheydidnt: f(x) Nu ABO MV to be released on May 6th!". Community.livejournal.com. May 4, 2010. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- "SM Entertainment to launch world tour". koreatimes.co.kr. The Korea Times. July 2, 2010. Retrieved July 5, 2010.
- "엠버 f(x) 복귀 2월 컴백설 ‘솔솔’". news.mk.co.kr. January 15, 2011. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- "f(x)’s "Hot Summer" will be a remake. Bad idea? Probably.". Seoul Beats. June 12, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "f(x), 신곡 ‘Hot Summer’로 ‘피노키오’ 열기 이어간다". Naver News (in Korean). June 8, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "f(x) reveals OST for ‘Puzzle Bubble’ online game". allkpop.com. August 14, 2011. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "SMTOWN’s Warm Present for Global Music Fans! 2011 SMTOWN Winter – The Warmest Gift will be Released on the 13th!". December 6, 2011.
- "에프엑스, '핫 썸머' 이후 다시 돌아온 '일렉트릭 쇼크' 컴백". news.nate.com. June 4, 2012. Retrieved June 4, 2012.(Korean)
- f(x) reveals Krystal’s teaser photo for ‘Electric Shock’. Allkpop.com (June 5, 2012).
- f(x) releases Victoria & Sulli’s teaser photos for ‘Electric Shock’. Allkpop.com (June 6, 2012).
- f(x)’s ‘Electric Shock’ album covers out + sneak peek of Amber and Luna’s teaser photos from ‘M! Countdown’. Allkpop.com (June 7, 2012).
- f(x) releases ‘Electric Shock’
- f(x) to Make It a ‘Hot Summer’ in Japan – Yahoo! OMG! Philippines. Ph.omg.yahoo.com (July 19, 2012).
- "f(x) JAPAN official TEASER SITE". SMTown facebook. June 27, 2012.
- f(x) releases short PV for Japanese “Hot Summer”. allkpop.com. July 31, 2012. Retrieved on July 31, 2012.
- "Super Junior’s Yesung & f(x)’s Luna to release a duet for "President"". allkpop.com. December 23, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "f(x) photos for K-Swiss revealed". allkpop.com. February 17, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "And the winner of SBS ‘Kim Yuna’s Kiss & Cry’ is…". allkpop.com. August 14, 2011. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "f(x)’s Krystal shed tears due to nervousness on ‘Kiss & Cry’". allkpop.com. August 19, 2011. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "Krystal’s new drama, ‘High Kick 3′, holds production conference". allkpop.com. September 8, 2011. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "f(x)’s Amber confirmed for ‘Invincible Youth 2′". allkpop.com. October 17, 2011. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- "f(x)'s Luna and Kim Kyujong to star in their first drama". koreaboo.com. August 24, 2011. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- "‘Saving Mrs. Go Bong Shil’ press conference". koreanvibe.com. December 7, 2011. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- "Past and present ‘We Got Married’ couples to host the 2011 MBC Gayo Dajaejun Festival". allkpop.com. December 15, 2011. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "f(x)’s Victoria to play leading role in new Taiwanese drama". allkpop.com. January 11, 2012. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- 설리 민호 커플화보 공개, ‘순정만화에서 튀어나온 듯’ : 네이트 뉴스. News.nate.com.
- f(x)'s Pinocchio app. Itunes.apple.com.
- f(x)'s First Mini Album "NU ABO" app. Itunes.apple.com.
- f(x)_001. Market.android.com.
- f(x) PINOCCHIO(Danger) Live Wallpaper & Widget app (Android market)app
- f(x) Pinocchio Lite by Neowiz Internet App lite
- f(x)_Hot Summer_Live. Market.android.com.
- f(x) on KakaoTalk from f(x) official Facebook
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: F(x) (band)|
- f(x) Official website – Korean
- f(x) Official website – Chinese (Avex Taiwan)
- f(x) Official web site – Japanese
- f(x) Official page on Facebook
- f(x) Official Channel on YouTube -created by SM Entertainment
- f(x) iTunes on ITunes
- f(x) Members' me2day(Korean)
- Korea Tourism Organization: f(x)
|Awards and achievements|
|Korean Music Awards: Group Musician of the Year
|14th Mnet Asian Music Awards - Best Female Dance Performance