F. King Alexander
|F. King Alexander|
|President and Chancellor of
Louisiana State University
|Term||July 1, 2013 – present|
|Predecessor||John V. Lombardi|
|President of California State University, Long Beach|
|Term||January 2006 – June 30, 2013|
|President of Murray State University|
|Term||September 2001 – December 2005|
|Predecessor||S. Kern Alexander|
|Successor||Randy J. Dunn|
|Alma mater||B.A, Saint Lawrence University
M.S., University of Oxford
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin–Madison
|Spouse||Elizabeth Williams Alexander (died 2000)
Shenette Campbell Alexander (since 2006)
Fieldon King Alexander is the president of the LSU system and chancellor of Louisiana State University and A&M College and former president of California State University, Long Beach and of Murray State University.
Early life and career
He received a PhD in higher education administration from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, a master's degree in educational studies/comparative education policy from the University of Oxford, and a bachelor's degree in political science from St. Lawrence University. At St. Lawrence, he was a member of the men's basketball team, and at Cal State Long Beach he was occasionally seen on campus in pickup games with students.
Murray State University
California State University, Long Beach
F. King Alexander was appointed as the sixth president of California State University, Long Beach on January 9, 2006. During his time at CSULB, a new $70 million Student Recreation Wellness Center was completed along with a $110 million Hall of Science building. The Hall of Science building was the largest capital building project in the history of the CSULB campus and most expensive building project in the CSU system. Enrollment at CSULB was 34,500 when Alexander took office, and it increased by more than 2,000 students by 2012. On May 15, 2013, the California Conference for Equality and Justice presented him with the Humanitarian Award.
Louisiana State University
It was announced on March 27, 2013, that Alexander would become president of the LSU system and chancellor of Louisiana State University A&M effective July 1, 2013.  There was some criticism over the way the Louisiana State University Board of Supervisors had conducted its search to fill the position of president of LSU after John V. Lombardi had been fired from it under alleged influence by Governor Bobby Jindal, Alexander was named the sole finalist for president of LSU. The decision was met with a unanimously negative vote of confidence by LSU's faculty senate against the LSU Board of Supervisors, but Board of Supervisors chair Hank Danos asserted that Alexander "was clearly the right guy for LSU." The Faculty Senate's vote of no confidence in Alexander's hiring noted that Alexander had never been a tenured full professor at a major research university and that the graduation rates at CSULB were lower than those at LSU.
- 2006. F. King Alexander and Daniel Layzell, "Changing Priorities and the Evolution of Public Higher Education Finance in Illinois," What's Happening to Public Higher Education?, pp. 135-158.
- 2000. F. King Alexander, "The Changing Face of Accountability: Monitoring and Assessing Institutional Performance in Higher Education," The Journal of Higher Education, Vol. 71, No. 4 (July/August): pp. 411-431. http://rubensdissertation.wikispaces.com/file/view/article+2.pdf
- 2003. F. King Alexander and Ronald G. Ehrenberg. Maximizing Revenue in Higher Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 2002. The University: International Expectations. McGill-Queen's University Press.
- "Dr. F. King Alexander". California State University. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- Moreno, Matt (February 18, 2009). "Obama not the only prez with basketball jones". Daily 49er (California State University, Long Beach). Retrieved March 20, 2009.
- Ambrose, Anne (Spring 2006). "CSULB Welcomes President Alexander". The Beach Review (California State University, Long Beach).
- "F. King Alexander took Cal State Long Beach to a higher level: Editorial". Press-Telegram. May 21, 2013. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Silverstein, Stuart (October 28, 2005). "New President of Cal State Long Beach Named". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Rider, Tiffany (June 4, 2013). "Long Beach Bids Adieu To Popular CSULB President F. King Alexander". Long Beach Business Journal. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- Ballard, Ernie. "Incoming LSU President and Chancellor F. King Alexander Receives Humanitarian Award". Archived from the original on 13 October 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander to Become President-Chancellor of the Louisiana State University System" (Press release). California State University, Long Beach. March 27, 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- Addo, Koran (2013-03-22). "Alexander defends record". Advocate (Baton Rouge). pp. 1A, 4A. Retrieved 2013-03-22. The interim president after Lombardi's firing was William Jenkins, who had preceded Lombardi in the position.
- "LSU Faculty Senate votes 'no confidence' in board", WWLTV.com, March 20, 2013, http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/199191511.html
- , Doug Krikorian, "LBSU Reflects Its President", Long Beach Press Telegram, 13 May 2007