F. P. Holland
|Franklin Pierce Holland|
|Mayor of Dallas, Texas|
|Preceded by||Bryan T. Barry|
|Succeeded by||Bryan T. Barry|
September 22, 1852|
|Died||January 18, 1928
|Resting place||Oakland Cemetery, Dallas|
|Children||Franklin P. Holland, Jr., Reginald Vincent Holland, Ira Holland, Augusta Holland, J. Porter Holland, Marsh W. Holland|
Franklin Pierce Holland (September 22, 1852 - January 18, 1928), publisher, was mayor of Dallas 1895 - 1897.
Franklin Pierce Holland was born September 22, 1852 in Galveston, Texas to Dr. Gustavus Holland, a native of Stuttgart, Wurtemberg, Germany and Evelyn Compton of Louisiana. He married Pamelia Allen, daughter of Joseph D. Allen and Pamelia Roberts on 25 Dec 1877 in Waxahachie, Ellis County, Texas. They had six children: Franklin P. Holland, Jr., Reginald Vincent Holland, Ira Holland, Augusta Holland, J. Porter Holland, and Marsh W. Holland.
Following his schooling at Redding, Fairfield County, Connecticut, F. P. Holland returned to Texas and found work as a sewing machine and farm implement salesman in Austin, Texas. He began working for Texas Siftings as an editor. Later he started Texas Farm and Ranch Magazine and served as its editor and publisher. He was involved in the establishment Dallas State Fair (forerunner to the State Fair of Texas), serving as the first general manager of the fair.
Franklin P. Holland was elected alderman in 1891. He was elected mayor April 2, 1895, beating Bryan T. Barry, Frank Wozencraft, and John B. Louckx. In 1905 he began publishing Holland's Magazine.
- 1870 Redding, Farifield County, Connecticut. NARA Publication M593, Roll 99, p. 7, Family No. 88.
- "A State Fair At Dallas." The Dallas Morning News. February 17, 1886, p. 4
- "Dallas City Council." The Dallas Morning News. April 10, 1891, p. 5.
- "The Agony Ended. Frank P. Holland Elected Mayor of Dallas." The Dallas Morning News. April 3, 1895, p. 8
- Texas State Board of Health. Bureau of Vital Statistics. Standard Certificate of Death. Col. Frank P. Holland. No. 1193.
- Brian Hart, "HOLLAND, FRANKLIN PIERCE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho24), accessed December 10, 2010.
- "Frank P. Holland, Publisher, Former Mayor of Dallas and Native Son of Texas, Dies." The Dallas Morning News. January 19, 1029, p.II-1,19.