Mormon Studies Review
|Mormon Studies Review|
| Review of Books on the Book of Mormon
FARMS Review of Books
|Edited by||J. Spencer Fluhman|
Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship (United States)
Mormon Studies Review is an annual academic journal covering Mormon studies published by the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship. In March 2013, the Institute appointed J. Spencer Fluhman as the journal's editor-in-chief.
The journal was established in 1989 by the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies as Review of Books on the Book of Mormon, with Daniel C. Peterson as founding editor-in-chief. The Review of Books on the Book of Mormon was renamed to FARMS Review of Books in 1996, to FARMS Review in 2003, and to Mormon Studies Review in 2011.
During its early history, the journal specialized in apologetics. In 1997, Peterson said to the Salt Lake Tribune, "FARMS has often had a polemical edge and we are curious to see how or whether that will be accommodated." In 2013, after an over a year-long hiatus, the journal began transitioning toward being a review journal without a primary focus on LDS apologetics, at which time it set up a new broad-based advisory board and announced a change from biannual to annual publication.
Selected apologia of note
A review of Christopher Hitchens's God Is Not Great, published in FARMS Review by William J. Hamblin in 2009, was highlighted in a more extensive criticism of Hitchens by atheistic American philosopher and social critic Curtis White in 2013.
- Announcing the new Mormon Studies Review, Maxwell Institute Blog (Maxwell Institute), 2013-03-25, retrieved 2013-04-05
- Peterson, Daniel C. (1996), Editor's Introduction: Triptych (Inspired by Hieronymus Bosch), FARMS Review of Books 8 (1): v, retrieved 2009-07-28
- Midgley, Louis (2003), Editor's Introduction: On Caliban Mischief, The FARMS Review 15 (1): xi, retrieved 2009-07-28
- Peterson, Daniel C. (2010), Editor's Introduction: An Unapologetic Apology for Apologetics, The FARMS Review 22 (2), retrieved 2011-02-04
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher (2012-06-26), Shake-up hits BYU's Mormon studies institute, The Salt Lake Tribune, retrieved 2013-04-05
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher (November 8, 1997), Group Trying to Prove LDS Works Joins With BYU; But Can Controversial Questions Continue?, Salt Lake Tribune
- "The Role of Apologetics in Mormon Studies | Interpreter". Mormoninterpreter.com. 2012-12-14. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Publications - Review http://farms.byu.edu/publications/reviewmain.php Website Information". Webnav.me. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Wendt, Anna (March 26, 2013), Neal A. Maxwell Institute announces "Mormon Studies Review", The Universe
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher (April 19, 2013), Split emerges among Mormon scholars, The Salt Lake Tribune
- From BHodges (2013-03-27), Seven Questions for Spencer Fluhman, Maxwell Institute Blog (Maxwell Institute), retrieved 2013-04-23
- William J. Hamblin. "The Most Misunderstood Book: christopher hitchens on the Bible - William J. Hamblin - FARMS Review - Volume 21 - Issue 2". Maxwellinstitute.byu.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- White, Curtis (2013), The Science Delusion: Asking the Big Questions in a Culture of Easy Answers, Melville House, ISBN 9781612192017
- White, Curtis (2013-06-23). "Christopher Hitchens’ lies do atheism no favors". Salon.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.