FC Avenir Beggen
|Full name||Football Club Avenir Beggen|
|Founded||1 July 1915|
|Ground||Stade rue Henri Dunant,
|League||Luxembourg Division of Honour|
|Website||Club home page|
The club were founded in 1915 as FC Daring Beggen but changed their name to FC Avenir Beggen a year later. In 1940, they were renamed SV 1915 Beggen, but in 1944, it was changed again to FC Avenir Beggen.
Avenir Beggen had played in the National Division in consecutive seasons since 1965–66, but were relegated in the 2005–06 season. Finishing second in their first season in the second-tier Division of Honour, Avenir returned to the National Division at the first time of asking. In 2008/09 the club finished 14th and were relegated back to the Luxembourg Division of Honour.
- Winners (6): 1968–69, 1981–82, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1992–93, 1993–94
- Runners-up (5): 1974–75, 1982–83, 1986–87, 1989–90, 1991–92
- Winners (7): 1982–83, 1983–84, 1986–87, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 2001–02
- Runners-up (4): 1973–74, 1987–88, 1988–89, 1997–98
Avenir have qualified for UEFA European competition sixteen times.
- Qualifying round (2): 1993–94, 1994–95
- First round (4): 1969–70, 1982–83, 1984–85, 1986–87
- Qualifying round (1): 2002–03
- First round (4): 1975–76, 1985–86, 1990–91, 1995–96
- First round (4): 1983–84, 1987–88, 1988–89, 1992–93
- Second round (1): 1974–75
They have won three ties in European competition (although two were only on technicalities):
- In 1974–75, their Cup Winners' Cup first round opponents, Enosis Paralimni of Cyprus, withdrew due to ongoing crisis in that country.
- In the same competition in 1992–93, Avenir beat the Faroe Islands' B36 Tórshavn 2–1 on aggregate in the qualifying round, before losing 5–1 on aggregate to Spartak Moscow in the first round proper.
- In the 1995–96 UEFA Cup, Avenir lost on away goals to Örebro SK, but Avenir were awarded a 3–0 victory when it transpired that the Swedes had fielded an ineligible player.
Throughout its history the team has won three rounds in Europe, including Champions League, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup (but only on the field). In 1969, Avenir Beggen wins his first league title in Luxembourg, with a historic victory followed by 10,000 spectators, of 3-1 against Jeunesse d'Esch. Moreover, thanks to this victory, the club has qualified for the first time for the Champions League where he played against the Italians of AC Milan (0-5 to Miland and 0-3 in Luxembourg city). Apart from the success, the club advances to the semi finals of the Cup.
Another success of Avenir Beggen comes right to the 60th anniversary of the club, 1 September 1975, the Avenir Beggen plays his first UEFA Cup (now Champions League) against FC Porto (0-7 in Porto and 0-3 in Luxembourg city).
Overall, Avenir's record in European competition reads:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to FC Avenir Beggen.|
- Eis Équipe fir d'Saison 2008/09 - Wichtelweb