FC Oțelul Galați
|Full name||Fotbal Club Oțelul Galați|
|Owner||Aspen Alpine Pty Ltd|
|2013–14||Liga I, 10th|
|Website||Club home page|
Fotbal Club Oțelul Galați (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈot͡selul ɡaˈlat͡sʲ]; meaning "Galați Steel") is a Romanian football club based in Galați . They have spent the majority of the last few decades in the top division, securing several seasons of European football and enjoying success in the Romanian Cup. They won their first league title in the 2010–2011 season and consequently qualified for the UEFA Champions League for the first time. On 25 August they were drawn in Group C of the Group Stage and met Manchester United, Benfica and FC Basel.
Oțelul play in red, white and blue.
The club was formed in 1964. After a brief period in which their town rivals Dunărea were the prominent club, Oțelul emerged as the main footballing force of the region. The club was first promoted to the Divizia A in 1986 and in 1988 made its debut in the UEFA Cup with a 1–0 victory against Italian side Juventus. The club reached the 2004 final of the Romanian Cup but lost against Dinamo Bucureşti.
They clinched their first Liga I title on 15 May 2011 following a 2–1 victory over Politehnica Timişoara, qualifying for the group stage of the 2011–12 UEFA Champions League, their debut in this competition. They played Manchester United, Benfica and Basel in the group stage, but failed to win a single point. The club won its first Romanian Supercup in 2011 after a 1-0 victory over rivals Steaua Bucureşti.
- Winners (1): 2010–11
- Winners (2): 1985–86, 1990–91
- Winners (2): 1967–68, 1980–81
- Runners-up (1): 1972–73
- Runners-up (1): 2003–04
- Winners (1): 2011
Including 2011–12 season.
|UEFA Champions League / European Cup||1||6||0||0||6||3||11||– 8|
|UEFA Europa League / UEFA Cup||5||14||5||3||6||18||21||– 3|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup||1||4||3||1||0||7||2||+ 5|
As of 6 July 2014
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
Reserves and youth team
Current technical staff
Current medical staff
- Fitness coach: Janosch Emonst
- Club Doctor: Mihail Troacă, MD
- Hafez, Shamoon (17 October 2011). "Man Utd's trip into the unknown". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Otelul confirmed as Romanian champions after CAS verdict". Yahoo Eurosport. Reuters. 18 May 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- The UEFA Intertoto Cup: Past Winners. Listed are all 11 teams that won the Intertoto Cup, qualifying for the UEFA Cup.
- Official Website
- Fans website
- Otelul Galati – A Dream came true – book in English
- Official Liga 1 stats of Oţelul Galaţi