F.C. Porto B
|Full name||Futebol Clube do Porto B|
Azuis e Brancos (Blues and Whites)
|Short name||Porto B|
|Ground||Estádio Dr. Jorge Sampaio
|President||Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa|
|2013-14||Segunda Liga, 2nd|
|Website||Club home page|
F.C. Porto B is a Portuguese football team. They are the reserve team of F.C. Porto. Reserve teams in Portugal play in the same league system as the senior team, rather than in a reserve team league. However, they cannot play in the same division as their senior team, so Porto B is ineligible for promotion to the Primeira Liga and cannot play in the Taça de Portugal and Taça da Liga.
FC Porto had a B team until the 2005–06 season, and refounded it in 2012, when a new set of rules regarding B teams was introduced in Portuguese football system. For the 2012–13 season, another five B teams, alongside Porto B, where refounded and established themselves in Segunda Liga.
Prior to the end of the 2011–12 football season in Portugal, seven clubs in the Primeira Liga announced there interest in constructing a B team to fill the six vacant places available to compete in the Segunda Liga for the 2012–13 season. Of those seven, the six clubs which were selected to take part in the competition were the B teams of Benfica, FC Porto, Sporting CP, SC Braga, Marítimo and Vitória de Guimarães.
The LPFP who organizes the professional football tiers in Portugal announced that for the clubs to compete in the 2012–13 Segunda Liga they would have to pay 50,000 €. In addition the LPFP would also require the clubs to follow new rules regarding player selection in which each 'B' team must have a squad of a minimum of ten players who were formed at the club's academy as well as having an age requirement between 15 and 21 years old. The LPFP also went on to say that the clubs are unable to compete in cup competitions as well as gaining promotion due to the possibility of playing the senior team. Each 'B' team may have 3 players above 23 years old.
In late May 2012, it was officially announced that the six Primeira Liga clubs' B teams would compete in the 2012–13 Segunda Liga which would increase the number of teams in the league from 16 to 22 as well as increasing the number of games needed to play in one season from thirty games to forty two games.
- As of 5 October 2014
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
League and cup history
Last updated: 21 December 2014
Div. = Division; 2H = Liga de Honra; 2DS/2D = Portuguese Second Division
Pos. = Position; Pl = Match played; W = Win; D = Draw; L = Lost; GS = Goal Scored; GA = Goal Against; P = Points
- "Estádio Dr. Jorge Sampaio". ZeroZero. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Sete clubes interessados nas seis vagas para equipas B" [Seven clubs interested for the six vacancies for the B teams]. Relvado. 17 February 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Equipas B de FC Porto, Benfica e Sporting confirmadas" [B teams of FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting have been confirmed]. Relvado. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Equipas B custam 50 mil euros de inscrição" [B Team's registration costs 50,000 €]. O Jogo. 21 May 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Liga: seis clubes inscreveram a equipa "B"" [League: six clubs register for a B team]. Mais Futebol. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- Portugal - Porto II - Results, fixtures, squad, statistics, photos, videos and news - Soccerway
- Official club website (Portuguese)
- Club Profile at ForaDeJogo (Portuguese)
- Club Profile at LPFP (Portuguese)
- Club Profile at ZeroZero (Portuguese)