|Launched||October 31, 2006
October 31, 2010 (linear channel)
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Headquarters||Santa Monica, California|
|Available on select cable systems||Check local listings|
Fearnet (stylized as FEAR.NET) is an American cable channel, website, and Video on Demand service that specializes in thriller, suspense, and horror entertainment. It is owned by Comcast and launched on October 31, 2006.
On April 14, 2014, Comcast purchased partners Lions Gate Entertainment and Sony Pictures Entertainment shares to take full ownership of the channel. Following the sale, Comcast will fold FEARnet into its NBCUniversal Cable network Chiller, though some programming might move to Syfy, thus ceasing operations of FEARnet. No exact timetable for the closure has been set yet.
FEARnet On Demand launched October 31, 2006. It features full-length horror, thriller, and suspense films as well as shorts, trailers, interviews, and behind-the-scenes clips. It is currently available On Demand on Comcast, Cox Communications, Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-verse, Insight Communications, Bresnan Communications, Guadalupe Valley Systems, Buckeye CableSystem, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, and CenturyLink.
In September 2012, FEARnet became the first network to offer Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI). This technology decreases integration time from four weeks to as few as three days. It also allows advertisers to refresh creative mid-campaign and track impressions on a daily basis.
FEARnet Linear Cable Channel
The FEARnet linear cable channel is available on television and airs over 350 full-length feature films per year, as well as popular series and original content such as Tales from the Crypt, Reaper, Holliston, and the Funhouse Weekend Block. The channel was launched on October 31, 2010. It was originally scheduled to launch October 1st, but the date was moved back due to carriage negotiations. The FEARnet linear cable channel is available through Comcast (in select markets), Cox Communications, Time Warner Cable, Verizon, Bright House Networks, and CenturyLink.
The site features thriller, suspense, and horror films, videos, trailers, and shorts. Daily news and reviews cover all areas of genre entertainment. The website has over 270,000 registered users who participate in sweepstakes, chats and forums. Streamed content is updated weekly.
In 2010, Peter Block was named the President and General Manager of FEARnet, taking over from Diane Robina. Prior to this post, Block launched the Saw franchise, which grossed over $877 million worldwide. Block has also produced several other genre blockbusters including Hostel, Cabin Fever, Open Water, and House at the End of the Street. While serving as President and General Manager of FEARnet, Block continues to run his production company A Bigger Boat.
FEARnet premiered its first original series, Holliston, on April 3, 2012. The show stars Adam Green and Joe Lynch as two college graduates chasing the dream of becoming successful horror filmmakers while struggling to make ends meet through their jobs at a Boston public-access cable station. The show co-stars Dee Snider, Corri English, and Laura Ortiz. Holliston was renewed for a second season which aired in 2013.
In August 2012, FEARnet began airing a two-hour block of programming on Saturday and Sunday mornings called "Funhouse." Airing in the block are reruns of The Real Ghostbusters, Tales From the Cryptkeeper, Eerie, Indiana, and Dark Oracle.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 14, 2014). "Comcast Takes Full Control Of FEARnet, To Fold It In Into Chiller & Syfy". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "FEARnet Rolls Out New Programming, Sets Up Carriage Deals". TV Week. May 2011. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Walker, Hunter (June 21, 2010). "FearNet to Launch Cable Channel". The Wrap. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Galluzzo, Rob (September 23, 2013). "FEARNET Now On CenturyLink!". FEARnet. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Schley, Stewart (February 11, 2013). "It's alive! Dynamic VOD ads are up, running...and not all that scary". Zonewire. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Sharma, Amol; Vranica, Suzanne (May 27, 2013). "On Demand: Quick Ad Switch". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- FEARnet HD
- Barton, Steve (June 21, 2010). "FEARnet Launches Cable Channel in October". Dread Central. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Peter Block Named FEARNET President and General Manager". FEARnet. August 11, 2010. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Umstead, R. Thomas (August 8, 2011). "FEARnet Greenlights First Original Series". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 17, 2012). "'Holliston', FEARnet's First Original Series, Renewed for Second Season". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 15, 2014.