List of FIFA World Cup hat-tricks
This is a list of all hat-tricks scored during FIFA World Cups; that is, the occasions when a footballer has scored three or more goals in a single football World Cup Finals match (not including FIFA World Cup qualification matches). Scoring a hat-trick in a World Cup is a relatively rare event: only 49 hat-tricks have been scored in over 700 matches in the 19 editions of the World Cup tournament. As FIFA is the governing body of football (soccer), official hat-tricks are only noted when FIFA recognises that at least three goals were scored by one player in one match.
The first hat-trick was scored by Bert Patenaude of United States, playing against Paraguay in the 1930 FIFA World Cup; the most recent (as of 2010) was by Gonzalo Higuaín of Argentina, playing against South Korea in the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
The only World Cup not to have at least one hat-trick scored was the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany. The record number of hat-tricks in a single World Cup tournament is eight, which occurred during the 1954 FIFA World Cup in Switzerland.
Notable World Cup hat-tricks
- Bert Patenaude was the first player to score a hat-trick in a World Cup match, on 17 July 1930 against Paraguay. However, until 10 November 2006 the first hat-trick that FIFA acknowledged had been scored by Guillermo Stábile of Argentina, two days after Patenaude. In 2006 FIFA announced that Patenaude's claim to being the first hat-trick scorer was valid, as teammate Tom Florie's goal in the match against Paraguay was reattributed to him.
- Four players have scored two hat-tricks in World Cup matches: Sándor Kocsis (both 1954); Just Fontaine (both 1958); Gerd Müller (both 1970); and Gabriel Batistuta (1994 and 1998). Batistuta is thus the only person to score hat-tricks in two World Cups. Kocsis and Müller scored their hat-tricks in consecutive matches.
- Oleg Salenko is the only player in World Cup history to have scored five goals in a single match. He did this during the 1994 FIFA World Cup match between Russia and Cameroon.
- One player has scored a hat-trick on his international debut: Guillermo Stábile (1930).
- One player has scored four goals for the losing side: Ernest Wilimowski (5-6, 1938)
- Two players have scored a hat-trick for the losing side till now: Josef Hügi (5-7, 1954); and Igor Belanov (3-4, 1986).
- There have been three occasions when two hat-tricks have been scored in the same match. Two occurred during the 1938 FIFA World Cup: when Sweden defeated Cuba, Gustav Wetterström and Harry Andersson, both playing for Sweden, scored three goals, with the former completing his in the first half. In the Brazil vs Poland, Leônidas did it for Brazil and Ernest Wilimowski for Poland. One occurred during the 1954 FIFA World Cup: when Austria defeated Switzerland, Theodor Wagner and Josef Hügi scored hat-tricks for Austria and Switzerland respectively.
- Only one player has scored a hat-trick in a World Cup Final. Geoff Hurst scored three for England against West Germany in the 1966 FIFA World Cup Final. This is also the longest hat-trick to be completed - most time between the first and third goals. His first goal came at 10', while the second goals were in extra time at 98' and 120'.
- The quickest hat-trick to be completed is Erich Probst's three goals during the 1954 FIFA World Cup. He scored his third in the 24th minute, after scoring his first goal in the 4th minute and his second in the 21st.
- The briefest hat-trick to be completed - that is, the shortest time between the first and third goals - is the one by László Kiss in 1982 against El Salvador. He scored at 69', 72', and 76', making the time between his first and third 7 minutes. This is also the only hat-trick scored by a substitute.
- The only players to have scored from three headers in a single match are Tomáš Skuhravý in 1990 and Miroslav Klose in 2002.
- The youngest player to score a hat-trick is Pelé at 17 years and 244 days.
List of World Cup hat-tricks
|Sequence||Player||No. of goals||Time of goals||Representing||Final score||Opponent||Tournament||Round||Date|
|1.||Patenaude, BertBert Patenaude||3||10', 15', 50'||United States||7000330000000000000 3–0||Paraguay||1930, Uruguay||8 First round||July 17, 1930|
|2.||Stábile, GuillermoGuillermo Stábile||3||8', 17', 80'||Argentina||7000360000000000000 6–3||Mexico||1930, Uruguay||8First round||July 19, 1930|
|3.||Cea, PedroPedro Cea||3||18', 67', 72'||Uruguay||7000560000000099999 6–1||Yugoslavia||1930, Uruguay||3Semi-final||July 27, 1930|
|4.||Schiavio, AngeloAngelo Schiavio||3||18', 29', 64'||Italy||7000670000000000000 7–1||United States||1934, Italy||8First round||May 27, 1934|
|5.||Conen, EdmundEdmund Conen||3||66', 70', 87'||Germany||7000350000000000000 5–2||Belgium||1934, Italy||8First round||May 27, 1934|
|6.||Nejedlý, OldřichOldřich Nejedlý||3||19', 71', 80'||Czechoslovakia||7000230000000099999 3–1||Germany||1934, Italy||3Semi-final||June 3, 1934|
|7.||Wilimowski, ErnestErnest Wilimowski||4||53', 59', 89', 118'||Poland||6998950000000000000 5–6 aet||Brazil||1938, France||8First round||June 5, 1938|
|8.||Leônidas da Silva||3||18', 93', 104'||Brazil||7000160000000000000 6–5 aet||Poland||1938, France||8First round||June 5, 1938|
|9.||Wetterström, GustavGustav Wetterström||3||32', 37', 44'||Sweden||7000880000000000000 8–0||Cuba||1938, France||5Quarter-final||June 12, 1938|
|10.||Andersson, HarryHarry Andersson||3||9', 81', 89'||Sweden||7000880000000000000 8–0||Cuba||1938, France||5Quarter-final||June 12, 1938|
|11.||Zsengellér, GyulaGyula Zsengellér||3||19', 39', 85'||Hungary||7000450000000000000 5–1||Sweden||1938, France||3Semi-final||June 16, 1938|
|12.||MiguezOscar Míguez||3||14', 45', 56'||Uruguay||7000880000000000000 8–0||Bolivia||1950, Brazil||8First round||July 2, 1950|
|13.||Ademir||4||17', 36', 52', 58'||Brazil||7000670000000000000 7–1||Sweden||1950, Brazil||2Final round||July 9, 1950|
|14.||Kocsis, SándorSándor Kocsis||3||24', 36', 50'||Hungary||7000990000000000000 9–0||South Korea||1954, Switzerland||8First round||June 17, 1954|
|15.||Probst, ErichErich Probst||3||4', 21', 24'||Austria||7000550000000000000 5–0||Czechoslovakia||1954, Switzerland||8First round||June 19, 1954|
|16.||Borges, CarlosCarlos Borges||3||17', 47', 57'||Uruguay||7000770000000000000 7–0||Scotland||1954, Switzerland||8First round||June 19, 1954|
|17.||Kocsis, SándorSándor Kocsis||4||3', 21', 67', 78'||Hungary||7000580000000000000 8–3||West Germany||1954, Switzerland||8First round||June 20, 1954|
|18.||Sargın, BurhanBurhan Sargın||3||37', 64', 70'||Turkey||7000770000000000000 7–0||South Korea||1954, Switzerland||8First round||June 20, 1954|
|19.||Morlock, MaxMax Morlock||3||30', 60', 77'||West Germany||7000570000000000000 7–2||Turkey||1954, Switzerland||8First round||June 23, 1954|
|20.||Theodor Wagner||3||25', 27', 53'||Austria||7000270000000000000 7–5||Switzerland||1954, Switzerland||5Quarter-final||June 26, 1954|
|21.||HugiJosef Hügi||3||17', 19', 58'||Switzerland||6998850000000000000 5–7||Austria||1954, Switzerland||5Quarter-final||June 26, 1954|
|22.||Fontaine, JustJust Fontaine||3||24', 30', 67'||France||7000470000000000000 7–3||Paraguay||1958, Sweden||First round||June 8, 1958|
|23.||Pelé||3||52', 64', 75'||Brazil||7000350000000000000 5–2||France||1958, Sweden||3Semi-final||June 24, 1958|
|24.||Fontaine, JustJust Fontaine||4||16', 36', 78', 89'||France||7000360000000000000 6–3||West Germany||1958, Sweden||4Third-place playoff||June 28, 1958|
|25.||Albert, FlóriánFlórián Albert||3||1', 6', 53'||Hungary||7000560000000099999 6–1||Bulgaria||1962, Chile||8First round||June 3, 1962|
|26.||Eusébio||4||pen., 56', 59' pen.27', 43'||Portugal||7000250000000000000 5–3||North Korea||1966, England||5Quarter-final||July 23, 1966|
|27.||Hurst, GeoffGeoff Hurst||3||18', 98', 120'||England||7000240000000000000 4–2 aet||West Germany||1966, England||1Final||July 30, 1966|
|28.||MullerGerd Müller||3||pen., 88'27', 52'||West Germany||7000350000000000000 5–2||Bulgaria||1970, Mexico||8First round||June 7, 1970|
|29.||MullerGerd Müller||3||19', 26', 39'||West Germany||7000230000000099999 3–1||Peru||1970, Mexico||8First round||June 10, 1970|
|30.||Bajević, DušanDušan Bajević||3||8', 30', 81||Yugoslavia||7000990000000000000 9–0||Zaire||1974, West Germany||8First round||June 18, 1974|
|31.||Szarmach, AndrzejAndrzej Szarmach||3||30', 34', 50'||Poland||7000700000000000000 7–0||Haiti||1974, West Germany||8First round||June 19, 1974|
|32.||Rensenbrink, RobRob Rensenbrink||3||pen., 62', 79' pen.40'||Netherlands||7000330000000000000 3–0||Iran||1978, Argentina||8First round||June 3, 1978|
|33.||Cubillas, TeófiloTeófilo Cubillas||3||pen., 39' pen., 79'36'||Peru||7000340000000000000 4–1||Iran||1978, Argentina||8First round||June 11, 1978|
|34.||Kiss, LászlóLászló Kiss||3||69', 72', 76'||Hungary||7000995000000099999 10–1||El Salvador||1982, Spain||First round||June 15, 1982|
|35.||Rummenigge, Karl-HeinzKarl-Heinz Rummenigge||3||9', 57', 66'||West Germany||7000340000000000000 4–1||Chile||1982, Spain||8First round||June 20, 1982|
|36.||Boniek, ZbigniewZbigniew Boniek||3||4', 26', 53'||Poland||7000330000000000000 3–0||Belgium||1982, Spain||6Second round||June 28, 1982|
|37.||Rossi, PaoloPaolo Rossi||3||5', 25', 74||Italy||7000130000000000000 3–2||Brazil||1982, Spain||6Second round||July 5, 1982|
|38.||Elkjær Larsen, PrebenPreben Elkjær Larsen||3||11', 67', 80'||Denmark||7000560000000099999 6–1||Uruguay||1986, Mexico||8First round||June 8, 1986|
|39.||Lineker, GaryGary Lineker||3||9', 14', 34'||England||7000330000000000000 3–0||Poland||1986, Mexico||8First round||June 11, 1986|
|40.||Belanov, IgorIgor Belanov||3||pen.27', 70', 111'||Soviet Union||6998930000000000000 3–4 aet||Belgium||1986, Mexico||7Second Round||June 15, 1986|
|41.||Butragueño, EmilioEmilio Butragueño||4||pen.43', 56', 80', 88'||Spain||7000450000000000000 5–1||Denmark||1986, Mexico||7Second Round||June 18, 1986|
|42.||Michel Míchel||3||22', 61', 81'||Spain||7000230000000099999 3–1||South Korea||1990, Italy||8First round||June 17, 1990|
|43.||Skuhravý, TomášTomáš Skuhravý||3||12', 63', 82'||Czechoslovakia||7000340000000000000 4–1||Costa Rica||1990, Italy||7Second Round||June 23, 1990|
|44.||Batistuta, GabrielGabriel Batistuta||3||pen.2', 44', 89'||Argentina||7000440000000000000 4–0||Greece||1994, United States||8First round||June 21, 1994|
|45.||Salenko, OlegOleg Salenko||5||pen., 72', 75'14', 41', 44'||Russia||7000560000000099999 6–1||Cameroon||1994, United States||8First round||June 28, 1994|
|46.||Batistuta, GabrielGabriel Batistuta||3||pen.72', 80', 82'||Argentina||7000550000000000000 5–0||Jamaica||1998, France||8First round||June 21, 1998|
|47.||Klose, MiroslavMiroslav Klose||3||20', 25', 70'||Germany||7000880000000000000 8–0||Saudi Arabia||2002, South Korea/Japan||8First round||June 1, 2002|
|48.||Pauleta||3||14', 65', 77'||Portugal||7000440000000000000 4–0||Poland||2002, South Korea/Japan||8First round||June 10, 2002|
|49.||Higuaín, GonzaloGonzalo Higuaín||3||33', 76', 80'||Argentina||7000340000000000000 4–1||South Korea||2010, South Africa||8First round||June 17, 2010|
- Until 10 November 2006 was thought to be the first hat-trick in the history of World Cup matches - see Notable World Cup hat-tricks (section) for more details.
- One of two hat-tricks scored on the same day (but different matches).
- One of two hat-tricks scored in the same match.
- Hat-trick completed in extra time.
- First of two World Cup hat-tricks scored by this player.
- The quickest hat-trick to be completed in World Cup history.
- Second of two World Cup hat-tricks scored by this player.
- Only player in history to score a World Cup hat-trick in the Final.
- The briefest hat-trick (the shortest time between the first and third goals in a hat-trick) to be completed in World Cup history. Also the only hat-trick scored by a substitute.
- Only occasion in World Cup history where five goals were scored by one player in a single match.
- "FIFA Facts: World Cup Goals" (PDF). FIFA. pp. pages 2–3. Retrieved 2007-12-06.
- "American Bert Patenaude credited with first hat trick in FIFA World Cup history". FIFA. 2006-11-10. Retrieved 2007-12-06.
- "World Cup 2006 Missing a Hat-trick". Ohmynews. 2006-07-06. Retrieved 2006-10-09.
- "Pauleta and Klose revive a vibrant hat-trick past". Yahoo. 2002-06-11.
- "No hat-tricks for the first time?". Yahoo. 2006-07-02.
- "World Cup Trivia - Hat-tricks". RSSSF. Retrieved 2006-10-09.