FISINT (Foreign Instrumentation Signals INTelligence) is intelligence from the interception of foreign electromagnetic emissions associated with the testing and operational deployment of foreign aerospace, surface, and subsurface systems. Since it deals with signals that are not exchanged by humans, it is a subset of ELINT, which, in turn, is a subset of SIGINT. Typical examples of such communication include:
- Telemetry data (TELINT). Missiles, satellites, and other remotely-monitored devices often transmit streams of data concerning their location, speed, engine status and other metrics.
- Video data links. These may be from UAVs or from satellites used for reconnaissance.
- ELINT: Electronic intelligence
- HUMINT: Human intelligence
- COMINT: Communications intelligence
- SIGINT: Signals intelligence
- IMINT: Imagery intelligence
- Missile guidance
- Intelligence collection management