The FMOD sound system is typically supplied as a single C++ library which consists of the sound playback and mixing engine. However, since version 3.75, the FMOD sound system has been split into 4 technologies:
- FMOD Ex - The sound playback and mixing engine.
- FMOD Studio - An audio creation tool for games, designed like a digital audio workstation. Succeeds FMOD Designer.
- FMOD Designer 2010 - An audio designer tool used for authoring complex sound events and music for playback.
- FMOD Event Player - An auditioning tool[clarification needed] in conjunction with FMOD Designer 2010.
The FMOD sound system has an advanced plugin architecture that can be used to extend the support of audio formats or to develop new output types, e.g. for streaming.
FMOD is available under multiple license schemes:
- FMOD Non-Commercial License, which allows software not intended for commercial distribution to use FMOD for free.
- FMOD Commercial License, licensed on a per-platform basis. Intended for commercial software and games.
- FMOD Casual License, a variant of the commercial license intended for electronically distributed titles, such as those distributed via the Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, Nintendo WiiWare, Windows and Mac OS X via download, as well as various mobile application distribution channels.
- Microsoft Windows (x86 and x86-64)
- OS X
- Linux (x86 and x86-64)
- Wii, Wii U, 3DS
- Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita
- Google Native Client
FMOD Ex can playback the following audio formats: AIFF, ASF, ASX, DLS, FLAC, FSB (FMOD's sample bank format), IT, M3U, MIDI, MOD, MP2, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, PLS, S3M, VAG (PS2/PSP format), WAV, WAX (Windows Media Audio Redirector), WMA, XM, XMA (only on the Xbox 360), as well as raw audio data.
FMOD has been integrated as a primary sound-effects system into the following video game engines:
- Unity from Unity Technologies
- Unreal Engine 3 from Epic Games
- CryEngine from Crytek
- Torque Game Engine from GarageGames
- BigWorld Technology from Bigworld Technology
- Scaleform from Scaleform Corporation
- Havok Vision Engine
- Havok Project Anarchy
- Source from Valve Software
- HeroEngine from Idea Fabrik Plc.
Games using FMOD
FMOD has been used in many high profile commercial games since release; this is a partial list.
- Allods Online
- Assetto Corsa
- Audition Online
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Battlestations: Pacific
- Bastion (video game)
- Brütal Legend
- Clive Barker's Jericho
- Cortex Command
- DJ Hero
- De Blob
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Diablo 3
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Dwarf Fortress
- Far Cry
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
- Forza Motorsport 2
- Forza Motorsport 3
- Guild Wars
- Guild Wars 2
- Guitar Hero III
- Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
- Guitar Hero: World Tour
- Hard Reset
- Heavenly Sword
- Heroes of Newerth
- Hellgate: London
- Hitman Absolution
- Impressive Title
- Impressive Title Returns
- Impressive Leone
- Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
- Just Cause 2
- League of Legends
- Lego Universe
- "Mechwarrior Online"
- Metroid Prime 3
- Music Construction Set: Eleven
- Natural Selection 2
- Need for Speed: Shift
- Nicktoons Unite!
- Nicktoons: Across the Second Dimension
- No More Room in Hell
- Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
- Plants vs Zombies
- Planetary Annihilation
- Renegade Ops
- Rise of Flight: The First Great Air War
- ROW Europe: Ruins Of War
- Second Life
- Shadowgrounds: Survivor
- Shattered Horizon
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
- StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Stargate Worlds
- Sven Co-op
- The Forest
- The Swapper
- TNA iMPACT!
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
- Tomb Raider: Underworld
- Tomb Raider (2013 video game)
- Transistor (video game
- Tropico 3
- World of WarCraft
- You Don't Know Jack
- "FMOD Licenses". Firelight Technologies. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- "Creative Labs: Connect". Connect.creativelabs.com. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Unreal Technology". Unreal Technology. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Crytek GmbH: Specifications". Crytek.com. 2010-04-13. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "BigWorld Technology - BigWorld Partners". Bigworldtech.com. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Integration". scaleform. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Products - Vision Game Engine | 3rd Party Integrations". havok.com. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Project Anarchy". havok.com.
- "Implementing FMOD". Valve Software.
- "HeroEngine 1.47.0 Enhancements". HeroEngine wiki. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Game List - FmodWiki". Fmod.org. 2009-12-21. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_lUYyGVtZY%7C Planetary Annihilation: LiveStream February 1st, 2013