|Jmol-3D images||Image 1|
|Density||1.885 g cm-3|
|Melting point||238 °C (decomp.)|
|Explosive velocity||8870 m/s at density 1.885 g cm-3 (estimated)
8335 m/s at density 1.756 g cm-3 (measured, small-scale testing)
| (what is: / ?)
Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C (77 °F), 100 kPa)
FOX-7 is similar to the insensitive chemical compound TATB, which is a benzene ring compound with three amino and three nitro groups. FOX-7 has a two-carbon backbone rather than a benzene ring, but the amino and nitro groups have similar effects in both cases according to published reports on sensitivity and chemical decay processes of FOX-7. FOX-7 is today produced by Eureco Bofors AB in Sweden.
Its explosive properties appear extremely favorable; in addition to its insensitive properties, the detonation velocity of mixtures of 80% FOX-7 plus binders are as high as Composition B, and nearly pure FOX-7 based plastic bonded explosives are slightly superior to RDX.  FOX-7 has been calculated to have a detonation velocity of 8,870 m/s.
Due to its small-scale production, the cost of FOX-7 is relatively high. However, the production is based on commercial starting material and the synthesis is uncomplicated. The price is therefore predicted to fall as production scale increases. There is no current full scale use of FOX-7, but it is being tested at several military research centers. The need for less sensitive munitions is the most important driver for testing FOX-7.
- Computational Studies of FOX-7, a New Insensitive Explosive, Dorsett, 2000, accessed Aug 25, 2005
- Hervé, Grégoire; Jacob, Guy; Latypov, Nikolaj (2005). "The reactivity of 1,1-diamino-2,2-dinitroethene (FOX-7)". Tetrahedron 61 (28): 6743. doi:10.1016/j.tet.2005.05.010.
- Anniyappan, M.; Talawar, M.B.; Gore, G.M.; Venugopalan, S.; Gandhe, B.R. (2006). "Synthesis, characterization and thermolysis of 1,1-diamino-2,2-dinitroethylene (FOX-7) and its salts". Journal of Hazardous Materials 137 (2): 812–9. doi:10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.03.034. PMID 16701943.
- DETONATION AND SENSITIVITY PROPERTIES OF FOX-7 AND FORMULATIONS CONTAINING FOX-7, Karlsson et al., 2002, accessed Aug 25, 2005
- Sorescu, Dan C.; Boatz, Jerry A.; Thompson, Donald L. (2001). "Classical and Quantum-Mechanical Studies of Crystalline FOX-7 (1,1-Diamino-2,2-dinitroethylene)". The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 105 (20): 5010. doi:10.1021/jp010289m.
- Evers, Jürgen; Klapötke, Thomas M.; Mayer, Peter; Oehlinger, Gilbert; Welch, Jan (2006). "Α- and β-FOX-7, Polymorphs of a High Energy Density Material, Studied by X-ray Single Crystal and Powder Investigations in the Temperature Range from 200 to 423 K". Inorganic Chemistry 45 (13): 4996–5007. doi:10.1021/ic052150m. PMID 16780321.