||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
|Born||September 7, 1964|
|Institution||University of Zürich|
|Alma mater||London School of Economics (Ph.D., 1994; M.Sc., 1991)
University of Bologna (B.Sc., 1989)
|Awards||Yrjö Jahnsson Award (2009)|
|Information at IDEAS/RePEc|
Fabrizio Zilibotti (born September 7, 1964) is an Italian economist. He is the Head of the Chair of Macroeconomics and Political Economy of the University of Zürich's Department of Economics. Zilibotti was previously Professor of Economics at University College London and at the Institute for International Economic Studies in Stockholm. A former managing editor of the Review of Economic Studies, he is the chief editor of the Journal of the European Economic Association, and an Associate Editor of the Journal of Economic Growth and of China Economic Review. He is a fellow of the Econometric Society and of the CEPR, and a member of the Academia Europaea. He is the academic director of the UBS Center for Economics in Society. Starting January 1, 2014, Zilibotti, will be the vice president of the European Economic Association.
His research interests include economic growth and development, the economic development of China, political economy, macroeconomics, financial economics, and industrial organization.
- Acemoğlu, Daron; Gancia, Gino; ——— (2012). "Competing Engines of Growth: Innovation and Standardization". Journal of Economic Theory 147 (2): 570–601. doi:10.1016/j.jet.2010.09.001.
- Song, Zheng; Storesletten, Kjetil; ——— (2011). "Growing Like China". American Economic Review 101 (1): 196–233. doi:10.1257/aer.101.1.196.
- Doepke, Matthias; ——— (2008). "Occupational Choice and the Spirit of Capitalism". Quarterly Journal of Economics 123 (2): 747–793. doi:10.1162/qjec.2008.123.2.747.
- Acemoğlu, Daron; Aghion, Philippe; ——— (2006). "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth". Journal of the European Economic Association 4 (1): 37–74. doi:10.1162/jeea.2006.4.1.37.
- Marimon, Ramon; ——— (1999). "Unemployment vs. Mismatch of Talents: Reconsidering Unemployment Benefits". The Economic Journal 109 (455): 266–291. doi:10.1111/1468-0297.00432.
- Acemoğlu, Daron; ——— (1997). "Was Prometheus Unbound by Chance? Risk, Diversification, and Growth". Journal of Political Economy 105 (4): 709–751. doi:10.1086/262091.
In 2009, Zilibotti received the Yrjö Jahnsson Award of the European Economic Association for “greatly [improving] our understanding of how technological innovation affects economic growth at different stages of economic development. He also contributed to the positive analysis of the welfare state, explaining how economic and political forces interact to shape government redistribution.". Zilibotti shared the prize with John van Reenen of the London School of Economics.