Facebook F8 (pronounced "eff eight") is a mostly-annual conference held by Facebook, intended for developers and entrepreneurs who build products and services around the website. It takes place in San Francisco, California. Previous events have started with a keynote speech by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, followed by various breakout sessions concentrating on specific topics. Facebook has often introduced new features, and made new announcements, at the conference. The name "F8" derives from the tradition at Facebook of having a big eight-hour Hackathon just after the event.
The 2008 F8 event was held July 23, at the San Francisco Design Center once again. News and announcements from this event included:
- Introducing the New Facebook Profile & More
- Integrating Facebook Connect into your Website
The 2010 F8 event was held April 21 at the San Francisco Design Center. The main announcement was the feature to add a “Like” button to any piece of content on a website by the owner. This feature is now integrated within around 2.5 million websites worldwide, with 10,000 more being added daily.
Additional news and announcements included:
- Social Plugins (e.g. Like button)
- Open Graph Protocol
- Graph API
- OAuth 2.0
The 2011 F8 happened on September 22, 2011. Facebook introduced 'Timeline' that showed a history of user's activity on their profile and also a broader version of 'Open Graph'.
The F8 2011 event was mainly focused on introducing new products, transforming industries, building and growing social applications and product Q&A. Some of the details of the topics were:
- The Future of Digital Music
- Mobile + Social
- The Rise of Social Gaming
- Investing in Social
- Developing Products at Facebook
- Social Design
- Distribution: Growing on Facebook
- Marketing on Facebook
- Hack Better: New Tools for Developers
- Inside HTML5 Development at Facebook
- Making Fast Social Apps
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
- Facebook To Release A “Like” Button For the Whole Darn Internet
- Yes Facebook Developers, There Will Be An f8 This Year
- f8In Review: f8 2010TijdlijnOver Facebook. "f8 - In Review: f8 2010". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Sorry, Developers: Don't Expect Facebook's F8 Conference This Year - Mike Isaac - Social". AllThingsD. 2012-09-17. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Zach Walton (2012-09-18). "Facebook Skips On Hosting The F8 Conference This Year". WebProNews. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Destiny be damned, Facebook not holding f8 this year". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Barnett, Emma, "Facebook f8: Zuckerberg announces revamp: Facebook's founder and CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has announced a host of changes to the site at the social network's f8 conference in San Francisco", The Telegraph (London), 22 Sep 2011.