|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2009)|
Facedown Records is a Christian record label based in Fallbrook, California, devoted mostly to hardcore punk and metalcore bands (Christian and secular). Founded by No Innocent Victim drummer Jason Dunn, the label started off small with a number of 7" record releases by bands such as Overcome, Dodgin Bullets, and Born Blind. As the label grew, it was able to sign artists for full album deals. xDISCIPLEx and The Deal, who were both popular in the Christian and secular scenes, released material on Facedown, as well as Canada's Figure Four, One-21, and Point of Recognition. The label also signs straight edge groups such as xDEATHSTARx and xLooking Forwardx.
Bands like Seventh Star and Nodes of Ranvier released well-received records through the label, but it was the release of Turn It Around by Comeback Kid (featuring members of Figure Four) that really brought the label more notice. Comeback Kid toured behind that album for the following two years, eventually leaving Facedown to sign with Victory Records.
War of Ages, For Today, Sleeping Giant and others make up the self-described "Facedown Family". Facedown has more recently signed Twin Cities metalcore group Your Memorial, Nashville metalcore group A Plea for Purging and Alabama southern metal group Remove the Veil.
Strike First Records
Strike First Records is Facedown's imprint label, which provides label services for smaller bands, and sometimes acts as a sort of "Facedown training ground"; some Strike First bands, such as Bloody Sunday, Kingston Falls, Call To Preserve, and War of Ages have since moved to Facedown. All of Strike First's releases are limited edition physical issue, and are made using no plastic, from recycled cardboard.
Late in 2007, the label announced a new imprint, the rock-based Dreamt Music. Dreamt Music focuses more on Christian Alternative and Classic Rock unlike its Christian Metal counterparts Facedown and Strike First Records. See Dreamt Artists for list of Dreamt Music signed artists.
The label also hosts an annual two-day "Facedown Fest" in southern California. The festival is usually made up of the entire Facedown and Strike First rosters. It has been the site of final performances by The Deal, xDisciplex A.D., and xDEATHSTARx, Seventh Star, and served as the introduction of xLooking Forwardx to Facedown fans, prior to the band signing with the label. The popularity of the Fest has grown, and in November 2005, an additional two days were held in Annapolis, Maryland for the convenience of those in the eastern part of the U.S. who cannot easily make it to California.
- The Burial
- Everything in Slow Motion
- Hope for the Dying
- Mouth of the South
- My Epic
- Saving Grace
- Those Who Fear
- War of Ages
- Your Memorial
- A Hope for Home (unsigned)
- Ace Augustine (Strike First Records) (signed to Red Cord Records)
- Ark of the Covenent (unsigned)
- Comeback Kid (currently signed to Victory Records)
- The Deal (reunited in November 2008)
- Dogwood (currently on Roadside Records) **
- Dynasty (unsigned)
- For Today (signed to Razor & Tie)
- Hanover Saints (reunited; members are also in BRIAN HANOVER AND THE WOUNDS)
- The Great Commission (signed to Ain't No Grave Records)
- Immortal Souls (signed to Rottweiler Records)
- Impending Doom (signed to E1 Music)
- Messengers (unsigned, members in Modern Pain, Heretic, Hollow Point, Never In Ruin)
- Nothing Til Blood (StrikeFirst, unsigned)
- Overcome (active, unsigned)
- Shapes Stars Make (Dreamt Music) (currently unsigned)
- Sleeping Giant (active, signed to Ain't No Grave Records and Century Media Records)
- Sinai Beach
- Torn in Two (changed their name to Red Red, playing local shows)
- A Plea for Purging
- Abel (Dreamt Music)
- Alove for Enemies (members in Letter to the Exiles)
- Anam Cara
- As Hell Retreats (signed to Ain't No Grave Records)
- Bloody Sunday
- Brutal Fight (Strike First Records)
- Born Blind
- Call to Preserve
- XDEATHSTARX (last show April 4, 2009; several ex-members are now in Sleeping Giant, reuniting at Facedown Fest 2015)
- Dodgin' Bullets
- Earth From Above
- Falling Cycle
- Flee the Seen (dropped from Facedown)
- Inked In Blood
- In the Midst of Lions
- Kingston Falls
- Jesus Wept
- Letter to the Exiles
- xLooking Forwardx
- Nodes of Ranvier
- Onward to Olympas
- Persevere **
- Phanatik **
- Positive Youth **
- Point of Recognition
- The Rekoning
- Remove the Veil
- Seventh Star
- Symphony in Peril
- Take it Back!
- This Runs Through (members are now in Sleepwave and To Speak of Wolves)
- Through Solace
- Thieves and Liars (Dreamt Music)
- We The Gathered (Strike First Records)
- Wrench in the Works
- xDisciplex A.D. (members are currently in Jesus Wept) **
- Bloodlined Calligraphy (unsigned)
- Figure Four (two members are also in Comeback Kid)
- No Innocent Victim
- Sleep for Sleepers (Dreamt Music) (member in The Wandering Tree)
(**)- Never officially signed to Facedown Records, though they had a release from that label
- "Company Profile: Facedown Records". Alternative Press 251 (June 2009), p. 38.
- New Imprint Label from Facedown Records. Decapolis, November 16, 2007.
- "Facedown Fest 2013". facedownrecords.com. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- "Facedown Records signs Attalus".
- wookubus. "Impending Doom Sign With eOne Music". Theprp.com. Retrieved April 3, 2015.