|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2009)|
Facedown Records is a Christian record label based in Fallbrook, California, devoted mostly to hardcore punk and metalcore bands (Christian and secular). Founded by No Innocent Victim drummer Jason Dunn, the label started off small with a number of 7" record releases by bands such as Overcome, Dodgin Bullets, and Born Blind. As the label grew, it was able to sign artists for full album deals. xDISCIPLEx and The Deal, who were both popular in the Christian and secular scenes, released material on Facedown, as well as Canada's Figure Four, One-21, and Point of Recognition. The label also signs straight edge groups such as xDEATHSTARx and xLooking Forwardx.
Bands like Seventh Star and Nodes of Ranvier released well-received records through the label, but it was the release of "Turn It Around" by Comeback Kid (featuring members of Figure Four) that really brought the label more notice. Comeback Kid toured behind that album for the following two years, eventually leaving Facedown to sign with Victory Records.
War of Ages, For Today, Sleeping Giant and others make up the self-described "Facedown Family". Facedown has more recently signed Twin Cities metalcore group Your Memorial, Nashville metalcore group A Plea for Purging and Alabama "southern metal" group Remove the Veil.
Strike First Records
Strike First Records is Facedown's imprint label, which provides label services for smaller bands, and sometimes acts as a sort of "Facedown training ground"; some Strike First bands, such as Bloody Sunday, Kingston Falls, Call To Preserve, and War of Ages have since moved to Facedown. All of Strike First's releases are limited edition physical issue, and are made using no plastic, from recycled cardboard.
Late in 2007, the label announced a new imprint, the rock-based Dreamt Music. Dreamt Music focuses more on Christian Alternative and Classic Rock unlike its Christian Metal counterparts Facedown and Strike First Records. See Dreamt Artists for list of Dreamt Music signed artists.
The label also hosts an annual 2-day "Facedown Fest" in southern California. The festival is usually made up of the entire Facedown and Strike First rosters. It has been the site of final performances by The Deal, xDisciplex AD, and xDEATHSTARx, Seventh Star, and served as the introduction of xLooking Forwardx to Facedown fans, prior to the band signing with the label. The popularity of the Fest has grown, and in November 2005, an additional two days were held in Annapolis, Maryland for the convenience of those in the eastern part of the U.S. who cannot easily make it to California.
- The Burial
- Everything in Slow Motion
- Hope for the Dying
- Mouth of the South
- My Epic
- Saving Grace
- Those Who Fear
- War of Ages
- Your Memorial
- A Hope for Home (active, unsigned)
- A Plea for Purging (disbanded)
- Abel (Dreamt Music) (disbanded)
- Ace Augustine (Strike First Records) (active, signed to Red Cord Records)
- Anchor (disbanded)
- Alove for Enemies (disbanded, members in Letter to the Exiles)
- Anam Cara (disbanded)
- Ark of the Covenent (active, unsigned)
- As Hell Retreats (disbanded, signed to Ain't No Grave Records)
- Bloodlined Calligraphy (Inactive, unsigned)
- Bloody Sunday (disbanded)
- Brutal Fight (Strike First Records; disbanded)
- Born Blind (disbanded)
- Call to Preserve (disbanded)
- Comeback Kid (currently signed to Victory Records)
- The Deal (active, reunited in November 2008)
- XDEATHSTARX (disbanded, last show April 4, 2009; several ex-members are now in Sleeping Giant, reuniting at Facedown Fest 2015)
- Dodgin' Bullets (disbanded)
- Dogwood (active) **
- Dynasty (active, unsigned)
- Earth From Above
- Falling Cycle (disbanded)
- Figure Four (On Hiatus; two members are also in Comeback Kid)
- Flee the Seen (dropped from Facedown, disbanded)
- For Today (active, signed to Razor & Tie)
- Hanover Saints (reunited); members are also in BRIAN HANOVER AND THE WOUNDS.
- The Great Commission (active, signed to Ain't No Grave Records)
- Immortal Souls (active, signed to Rottweiler Records)
- Impending Doom (active, signed to E1 Music)
- Indwelling (disbanded)
- Inked In Blood (disbanded)
- In the Midst of Lions (disbanded)
- Kingston Falls (disbanded)
- Jesus Wept (disbanded)
- Letter to the Exiles (disbanded)
- xLooking Forwardx
- Means (disbanded)
- Messengers (band) (active, unsigned, members in Modern Pain, Heretic, Hollow Point, Never In Ruin)
- Nodes of Ranvier (disbanded)
- No Innocent Victim (hiatus)
- Nothing Til Blood (StrikeFirst, active, unsigned)
- One-21 (disbanded)
- Onward To Olympas (disbanded 2013)
- Overcome (active, unsigned)
- Persevere (disbanded) **
- Phanatik (disbanded) **
- Positive Youth (disbanded) **
- Point of Recognition (disbanded)
- The Rekoning
- Remove the Veil (disbanded)
- Shapes Stars Make (Dreamt Music) (active, currently unsigned)
- Sleep For Sleepers (Dreamt Music) (0n hiatus, member in The Wandering Tree)
- Sleeping Giant (active, signed to Ain't No Grave Records and Century Media Records)
- Seventh Star (disbanded)
- Sinai Beach (active)
- Symphony in Peril
- Take it Back! (disbanded 2011)
- This Runs Through (disbanded; members are now in Underoath and To Speak of Wolves)
- Through Solace
- Torn in Two (changed their name to Red Red, playing local shows)
- Thieves and Liars(Dreamt Music) (disbanded)
- We The Gathered (Strike First Records) (disbanded in 2013)
- Wrench in the Works (disbanded)
- xDisciplex A.D. (disbanded; members are currently in Jesus Wept) **
(**)- Never officially signed to Facedown Records, though they had a release from that label
- "Company Profile: Facedown Records". Alternative Press 251 (June 2009), p. 38.
- New Imprint Label from Facedown Records. Decapolis, November 16, 2007.
- "Facedown Fest 2013". facedownrecords.com. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- wookubus. "Impending Doom Sign With eOne Music". Theprp.com. Retrieved April 3, 2015.