Faculty of Astrological Studies
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (July 2012)|
|Formation||7 June 1948|
|Legal status||Company Limited by Guarantee|
The Faculty of Astrological Studies (founded 7 June 1948) is a UK-based school of astrology which in its over sixty years of existence has enrolled more than 10,000 students from ninety countries.
New millennium astrological chart
The Faculty of Astrological Studies (FAS) was founded on the 7th June 1948 under the auspices of the Astrological Lodge of London, for the purpose of advancing the understanding of the astrological tradition and producing practicing astrologers of integrity. Its founding members were Charles E. O. Carter, Edmund Casselli, Margaret Hone, and Lorenze von Sommaruga. The Faculty became independent of the Lodge in 1954. Its first Principle was the British astrologer Charles Carter, who was supported by his friend and FAS fellow-council member John Addey. Carter remained in the post of president until 1954, when he was succeeded by Margaret Hone, and later by Jeff Mayo in 1969 and by Julia Parker in 1973. Two of its former tutors, Liz Greene and Howard Sasportas, went on to found the Centre for Psychological Astrology in London in 1983.
In the 'Prospectus and Brief Syllabus of the Faculty of Astrological Studies' issued in August 1948, the objectives of the Faculty were set out as follows:
- The Faculty of Astrological Studies has been founded by the Astrological Lodge of London as an independent examining body in all astrological subjects. It is a non profit making organisation having as its functions:
- 1) the drawing up of a syllabus of astrological subjects of a high standard;
- 2) the instituting of courses of tuition;
- 3) the preparation and holding of examinations in astrology, both of intermediate and final standards.
The Faculty of Astrological Studies today
The Faculty of Astrological Studies runs training courses by distance learning or classes in London. Its syllabus is reputed to be "rigorous" and includes a study of "history, astronomy, psychology, counselling methods, and every kind of astrological technique". Holders of its diploma are required to sign its Code of Ethics. It also holds an annual Summer School in Oxford.
The position of President is currently held by Laura Andrikopoulos. It is a member of the Advisory Panel on Astrological Education.
- Weiss, Steve M., Signs of success: the remarkable power of business astrology; p.7. AMACOM Div American Mgmt Assn, 2008. ISBN 978-0-8144-7441-9.
- Greene, Liz, and Sasportas, Howard, The inner planets: building blocks of personal reality; p.ix. Weiser Books, 1993. ISBN 978-0-87728-741-4.
- Holden, J. H., A History of Horoscopic Astrology, AFA, (1996), p.196. ISBN 978-0-86690-463-6.
- Mann, A. T., The Future of Astrology; p.41. Cosimo, Inc., 2004. ISBN 978-1-931044-87-5.
- Dean, Malcolm, The astrology game: the truth about astrology; p.258. Beaufort Books, 1980. ISBN 978-0-8253-0002-8.
- "www.parkeriters.com".Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Porche, Jean, and Vaughan, Deborah Vaughan, Psychics and Mediums in Canada; p.122. Dundurn Press Ltd., 2005. ISBN 978-1-55002-497-5.
- Parry, Robert, In Defense of Astrology: Astrology's Answers to Its Critics; p.50. Llewellyn Publications, 1991. ISBN 978-0-87542-596-2.
- "FAS Website".Retrieved 19 January 2013.