Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University
|The Faculty of Engineering,
113,000 square metres (28 acres)
|Colors||Blue and Orange|
The Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University (Arabic: كلية الهندسة جامعة الإسكندرية) was established in 1941.
At the beginning of the academic year 1941 - 1942, the Faculty of Engineering of King Fuad I University established a branch in Alexandria for the preparatory year study. In 1942, Farouk I University was established in Alexandria, and the branch of the faculty of Engineering became the Faculty of Engineering in King Farouk I University. The study in the preparatory year and the first year started simultaneously in the academic year 1942 - 1943; the study started in the departments of Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. In 1946, the Department of Sanitary Engineering and Municipalities was established. The Departments of Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering were developed over the years. In 1953, the Institute of Industrial Chemistry which was affiliated to the Faculty of Science, became one of the departments of the Faculty of Engineering as the Chemical Engineering Department, from which the 1st class was graduated in 1954. The Departments of Nuclear Engineering and Computer and Automatic Control were established in 1964 and 1974 respectively.
- In 1941 The Faculty of Engineering – Cairo University established its branch in Alexandria.
- 1942 The emanation of law ordinance No. 32 for the year 1942 for founding Alexandria University.
- 1942 The inception of the education in of the preparatory year and the first year (Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering)
- 1946 Establishing the department of Sanitary Engineering and Municipalities.
- 1953 Establishing the department of Chemical Engineering
- 1960 Establishing the departments of Mechanical Power Engineering, and Weaving & Textile Engineering.
- 1961 Establishing the department of Marine Engineering.
- 1963 Establishing the department of Production Engineering.
- 1964 Establishing the department of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1974 Establishing the department of Computer Science and Automatic Control.
- 2006 Adopting Specialized Scientific Programs (S.S.P) using Credit hours system.
The Faculty is located in the middle of the city of Alexandria. It has an area of over 110,000 m² consists of 10 buildings 6 of them are famous for their Pharaonic Style. The building are:
- Administration building.
- Preparatory building.
- Mechanical departments building.
- Textile Engineering building.
- Production workshop.
- Electrical Engineering workshop.
- Electrical departments building.
- The clinic building.
- Student Activity building.
- SSP building. (not completed)
The Faculty follows a two-semester system per academic year. The duration of study to obtain a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree is five academic years (a preparatory year, followed by four academic years). Each semester runs for 15 weeks.
Credit Hours System
The Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University has developed a curriculum to upgrade the Graduate Studies and Research based on credit hours system, to provide advanced academic programs to match the development of different fields and to enhance scientific experience to support the rapid pace of development worldwide. It consists of a three-semester system The Fall Semester (First Semester): Starts on the Third Saturday of September and Lasts for 15 weeks. Spring Semester (Second Semester): Starts on the Second Saturday of February and Lasts for 15 weeks. Summer Semester (Third Semester): Starts on the First Saturday of July and Lasts for 8 Weeks.
- The student is allowed to register 12 credit hours per regular semester and 6 credit hours in the summer semester. Full-time students are allowed to register a maximum of 18 credit hours per regular semester and 9 credit hours in the summer semester.
- Specialized Scientific Programs (SSP)
- The student is allowed to register 20 credit hours per regular semester and 6 credit hours in the summer semester. For emergency cases students are allowed to register a maximum of 22 credit hours per regular semester and 9 credit hours in the summer semester.
- Architectural Engineering Department.
- Chemical Engineering Department.
- Computer and Systems Engineering Department.
- Electrical Engineering Department.
- Communication and Electronics Department.
- Electrical Power Department.
- Engineering Mathematics and Physics Department. (Preparatory Stage)
- Irrigation Engineering And Hydraulics Department.
- Marine Engineering And Naval Architecture Department.
- Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Nuclear and Radiation Engineering Department.
- Production Engineering Department.
- Sanitary Engineering Department.
- Structural Engineering Department.
- Textile Engineering Department.
- Transportation Engineering Department.
Specialized Scientific Programs (S.S.P)
Since 2006, the Faculty Of Engineering introduces five Specialized Scientific Programs using the Course credit system and Grade Point Average (GPA) for the first time in the Faculty. The programs are:
- Gas And Petrochemicals Engineering.
- Electromechanical Engineering.
- Computer and Communication Engineering.
- Architecture and Construction Engineering.
- Materials Science and Engineering.1
Similar to the SSP the postgraduate programs follow the credit hours system. The Faculty offers the following post-graduate degrees:
- The Technical Diploma.
- Postgraduate diploma.
- Master's degree.
- Master of Science.
- Doctor of Philosophy.
The Faculty of Engineering has 3 Special Units that are involved in supporting the Faculty and Alexandria University with their facilities:
- The Engineering Center,
- The Scientific Computation Center
- The Production Unit
- Quality Control Center
- Yahya El Mashad Egyptian nuclear physicist
- Hassaballah El Kafrawy Former Minister of Development, Reconstruction, Housing, New Communities, Public Utilities and Land Reclamation (1977–1993).
- Mohamed Hashish Egyptian research scientist best known as the father of the abrasive water jet cutter.
- Mohamed Abdou Egyptian nuclear Engineer.
- Khairat El-Shater Famous Egyptian Businessman, Politician and one of the notable leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood
- Rasheed Mohamed Rasheed Former Egyptian Minister of Industry and foreign trade
- Hossam Moghazy Minister of Irrigation and water resources
- List of Engineering Faculties in Egypt
- Alexandria University
- Educational institutions in Alexandria
- Course credit