Faculty of Management Studies
|Faculty of Management Studies|
|Type||Public business school|
|Dean||Prof. Raj S.Dhankar|
|Location||Delhi, Delhi, India|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Faculty of Management Studies (Commonly known as FMS Delhi ) established in 1954 under the aegis of the University of Delhi offers management education to the professional managers as part-time and full-time MBA programmes. It is one of the oldest business schools in India which started offering a Full Time MBA programme. The first set of professors were trained at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the institute was started at the Delhi School of Economics premises under the-then Dean, Prof. A. Dasgupta of Delhi College of Engineering. The institute has since then expanded on the number of management courses available.
- 1 Courses
- 2 Student Life and Participation
- 3 International Associations
- 4 Academic chairs
- 5 Rankings
- 6 Admissions
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 References
- 9 External links
FMS is known for its academic programmes, training programmes, research and consultancy, but its primary aim is long-term academic programme leading to a Degree Certification. Currently, FMS conducts the following long-term programmes:
- MBA (Full Time)
- MBA(Executive)Health Care Administration
- Doctoral Programmes
In addition to all these programmes, FMS also regularly conducts Management Development Programmes.
MBA Full Time
MBA Full Time at FMS Delhi is a two-year course. The first year of the course concentrates on imparting management fundamentals like Human Resources, Organisational Effectiveness & Change, Marketing Management, Financial Management, Quantitative Methods, Computer Applications in Management etc.
At the completion of the first two semesters of the first year and before the commencement of the third semester in the second year,the student is required to undergo summer training in an organisation. A report based on the summer training shall be submitted within four weeks from the commencement of the third semester.
In the second year, the learners decide on their professional development plans by reflecting on their first year's learning and summer internship experiences. There are 22 core courses and over 78 elective courses offered. Students are required to complete 8 core or elective courses or a combination of both in every semester.
MBA Executive & MBA Executive (Health Care Administration) Two Year Evening Programmes
The existing three-year MBA (Part-Time) programme has been replaced with two-year MBA-Executive programme from 2012. Similarly, existing three-year MBA (Part-Time) Health Care Administration programme has been replaced with a two-year MBA- Executive (Health Care Administration) programme from 2012. The modular design of the restructured MBA -Executive and MBA- Executive (Health Care Administration) programmes has been divided into four semesters over a period of two years. The intake in this programme for the year 2012 is 172 participants (MBA- Executive) and 42 participants (MBA- Executive Health Care Administration).
Over 40 courses are offered as electives in the fields of Finance, Marketing, Organizational Behaviour and HRD, Operations Management and Entrepreneurship.
Full Time Doctoral Program PhD
The main objective of the Doctoral Research in the Faculty of Management Studies is to encourage original work in different aspects of management and to develop scholars who go on to contribute towards its growth through teaching and research. The Industry as well as the various Government Agencies have approached the Faculty for carrying out research in specific problem areas. The subjects covered include a wide variety of areas such as Growth & Behavior Patterns of Companies in India, Marketing, Financial, Human Resource and Organizational Dimensions of Modern Industry & Business.
Management Development Programme
Faculty of Management Studies has a management development program where the faculty visit organizations and provide management education. The clientele includes, among many others:
- The Taj Group of Hotels
- GAIL Ltd.
- Department of Posts, Government of India
- North Delhi Power Ltd.
- NTPC Ltd.
- ESIC (Empoyees State Insurance Corporation)
- North Delhi Municipal Corporation 
Some of the topics in these programs include Business Planning & Growth Strategies for World Class Performance, Proactive Leadership,Project & Contract Management,Six Sigma,Strategic Financial Management for Value Creation,Finance for Non-Finance Managers,Managerial Effectiveness for Excellence etc.
Student Life and Participation
The student life at FMS is full of activities that stretch well beyond the classroom as they involve themselves in the various student's activities as well as contribute to the institute. As a Full Time MBA student at FMS one gets an opportunity to join the Management Science Association(MSA),a completely student run body, which coordinates all these activities. MSA's mission is to promote learning. With a belief that learning is not just what is taught within the confines of classrooms, a lot is learned by involving oneself in various functional responsibilities, activities of the societies, community responsibilities as well as projects that companies offer on the campus. The various societies that form part of MSA at FMS are:
Media Relations Cell
The Media Relations Cell takes care of all communications- both internal and external at FMS and serves as the official mouthpiece of the Management Science Association (MSA). Some of the activities performed by this cell are:
- Handling all publications that come out of FMS
- Covering and reporting activities happening at the campus
- Updating and streamlining FMS' official website and the unofficial student driven website- www.lifeatfms.com
The team ensures that FMS is seen and heard at the right places and at the right time so that various stakeholders - students, faculty, applicants, corporate professionals and alumni can achieve maximum leverage from the FMS brand.
Alumni Relations Cell
Team Alumni Relations acts as an interface between the student community and FMS Alumni. Their primary objective is to strengthen the relationship with and to develop a strong network among alumni, as also to make them actively participate in their alma mater's functioning. Some of the major events organized by the Alumni Relations Cell are:
- FMS Alumni City Chapter Meets in Bengaluru, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Singapore and Dubai
- Annual General Meet and Welcome Dinner for incoming batch
- Panel Discussions, Guest Lectures and GAMA Mentorship Programme for the batch
- Annual Alumni Meet at Delhi
- Silver Jubilee Reunion of MBA(FT) Batch
Marketing Society (MarkSoc)
The Marketing Society at FMS was started in 1993 and is one of the oldest interest groups at FMS. MarkSoc has evolved from an interest group to a fully funded self-sufficient society having its own website- My Marklab (www.mymarklab.com) and its own Facebook page – MarkSoc, FMS Delhi. MarkSoc also has strong corporate relations with firms such as ITC, Reckitt Benckiser, Godrej, ProMed, Microsoft, Airtel, Hero Honda etc. Recently, it also forged international linkages with Hyundai through its Hyundai Global Youth Marketing Camp. In collaboration with Entrepreneurship Cell of FMS, the society initiated Merchants of Delhi in 2010 which not only helps students learn nuances of selling in real life markets but has also been raising funds of over Rs. 1 Lac for the past 2 academic years. MarkSoc encourages practical learning for students by organizing various national level competitions like poweRBiz, Pandemonium etc. and floating live projects.
Finance Society (FinSoc)
The Finance Society is a student run group that aspires to endorse Finance as a career opportunity at FMS. Its endeavor is to further the education and interest of the students of FMS in the financial domain. The Vision of FinSoc is to educate each and every student of FMS about all aspects of modern day finance and financial institutions. It aims to accomplish its objectives by organizing guest lectures and seminars, conducting online simulation games and workshops, arranging for live projects and conducting knowledge sessions and mock interviews. FMS has now 12 Bloomberg terminals that come under the purview of FinSoc. These terminals are used to obtain access to real time data. Some of the recent partners in activities of FinSoc include- Fullerton Securities and Dun & Bradstreet.
Cultural Society (CulSoc)
The Cultural Society is responsible for managing cultural activities (intra as well as inter college) at FMS. It also handles organization of the cultural festival ‘Chorus’ during the annual fest of FMS, which includes events like quizzing, debating, street play, band performance, group dance, fashion show, JAM and online photography & video making. Additionally, Culsoc is also responsible for organizing the batch convocation, parties and various event celebrations at FMS. Culsoc aims at providing a platform to showcase the talent in FMS students.
Entrepreneurship Cell (E-Cell)
The Entrepreneurship Cell at FMS assists students who take up entrepreneurship as a career choice and acts as a facilitator whenever students face any issues related to exposure, funds or incubation. The Vision of E-Cell is to churn out the country’s best startups every year. The cell provides mentorship opportunities to prospective entrepreneurs by finding from its pool of mentors, a suitable person who can help convert an idea into a business pitch. E-Cell also conducts IEC (International Entrepreneurship Challenge), an International Level Business Plan competition. FMS has a provision for 'Placement Holiday', which gives students an opportunity to pursue their startup and yet be a part of the institute’s placement process for up to two years after completing their post-graduation.
HR & OB Society (HRSoc)
The HR & OB Society at FMS endeavors to provide students a snapshot of what the corporate world is all about through an entire spectrum of activities which test students on job analysis, design, recruitment, organizational culture, policy design, handling grievances, disputes etc. Some of the key activities of this society are-
- Mentorship Program- The Mentor-Mentee program is an initiative in which each student of the incoming batch is assigned a mentor from the senior batch to provide the new batch a good source of guidance and support
- Placement Preparation
- Workshops on Contemporary Corporate Leadership and Effective Corporate Communication
Scholastic Council (FSC)
The Scholastic Council at FMS acts as a bridge between faculty and the student community and is also an official representative of the college for liaison with international universities. The council’s vision is to transform FMS into a truly global B-school campus, providing its students cross-cultural exposure and a global perspective. FSC was founded in the year 2007 with the purpose of enhancing the learning experience at FMS. It has tie ups with some of the most reputed universities of the world wherein every year students from FMS participate in the international summer programs with schools such as London School of Economics, HWZ Switzerland, IAE Lyon, AIX France, etc. The council also believes in supplementing classroom learning by conducting workshops and facilitating the arrangement of key study material for students.
Vihaan-The Social Service Cell
Vihaan, the newest society at FMS works towards ensuring greater student involvement in the welfare of the community. The flagship event of Vihaan, The Silent Auction, is conducted annually and is covered by leading media houses. It generates money from among the students and faculty and utilizes it on social causes. The Cleanliness Drive is another event organized by the cell wherein first year FMS students spend a day in and around North Campus, Delhi University, cleaning the area and spreading awareness about various social issues. Vihaan also has associations with various bodies with which the student community of FMS engages and helps with social projects. A few such bodies are Bhumi, Teach for India, Enactus, Medhavi Foundation, BloodConnect etc. Some of the other activities that students actively participate in are Blood Donation Camp, Pratidaan - Clothes collection drive, Waste Paper Collection for recycling, etc.
Team Fiesta is responsible for conducting the annual managerial festival of FMS which witnesses participation from all the premier management institutes of the country. Each year in this fest, a plethora of challenging and stimulating events are organized which encompass the entire spectrum of management and cultural disciplines viz. Marketing, Finance, Consulting, HR, Operations. Fiesta is also host to “Icon”, which is the flagship event of the fest.
The team is responsible for organizing the annual leadership summits of FMS, Conclave (held in September) and Convention (held in January/February). Both these events are ideal platforms for luminaries such as policy makers, noted academicians and corporate professionals to come forth and present their views on contemporary issues. This rich tradition has ensured that our students are molded to become “thought leaders” rather than just managers.
As a founding member of the Association of Management Development Institutions of South Asia (AMDISA), FMS has collaborations with the following institutions:
- ESADE, Barcelona, Spain
- INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France
- Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium
- Manchester Business School, England
- Rotterdam School of Management, Netherlands
- University Bielefeld, Germany
- University of California, Berkeley, USA
- University of California, Fullerton, USA
- Wisconsin University, White Water, USA
In appreciation of its contributions, the Industrial Finance Corporation of India and Amway Corporation has created chair professorships in Industrial Management and Entrepreneurial Development respectively. The Shanti Prasad Jain Advanced Management Research Center, the research and development wing of FMS, has been set up at the University of Delhi with assistance from Bennett Coleman & Company Limited. In 2005, Union Human Resource Development Ministry, Govt. Of India has proposed a new chair in the name of the former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, now known as Rajiv Gandhi Chair for Technology Management and Innovation (MHRD, GOI)to promote management of innovation. The Industrial Finance Corporation of India Chair is also one of the professional chairs instituted by industry at FMS.
|Business – India|
FMS was ranked #3 in Business Today's 50 Best Business Schools of 2012, #5 in the Outlook-MDRA Survey B-School Rankings 2012, #7 in Hindustan Times India's Top 50 Business Schools of 2011 and #10 in the 2013 edition of CNBC-TV18's India's Best B-Schools Rankings.
The admission to the course are done on the basis of score in Common Admission Test (CAT) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). FMS earlier had its own entrance exam which was discontinued starting session 2012-14. The notification for various programmes offered by FMS is advertised through national newspapers in September–October every year. The annual tuition fee for both the 2 year full-time programmes, MBA(FT) & MBA(MS) Programme is Rs. 10,480(USD 200).
For the Doctoral programme, the maximum number of Seats is 20. The candidates are required to appear in the entrance test conducted every year in December. However, candidates falling under some categories are exempted from appearing in this entrance test.
The MBA Executive programme has an intake of 159 students, whereas MBA Executive (Health Care Administration) programme has an intake of 39 students. The annual fee for MBA-Executive and MBA-Executive (Health Care Administration) programmes is Rs. 50,000 payable in two equal instalments of Rs.25,000 each.
- Ajay Mahajan- Founder, FICC Capital
- Ajay Shukla- VP & MD, McGraw-Hill Education
- Amit Jain- Country Director, Akzo Nobel, India
- Amit Ranjan- Cofounder & Director of Operations, SlideShare
- Dr. Alok Bharadwaj- EVP, Canon India
- D.S.Brar- Chairman, GVK Biosciences
- Harit Nagpal- MD & CEO, Tata Sky Ltd 
- Kanwaljit Singh- Senior MD , Helion Advisors 
- Manoj Kohli- CEO & Jt. MD, Bharti Airtel
- Neelam Dhawan- MD, Hewlett Packard (India)
- Niren Chaudhary- President, Yum India
- Raghav Bahl- Founding/Controlling Shareholder & Managing Director, Network 18
- R Mukundan- Managing Director, Tata Chemicals
- Rohit Adya- External Affairs Director, Vodafone India
- R.S. Butola- Chairman, IOCL
- Sandip Das- Managing Director, Reliance Jio Infocomm
- Sandeep Goyal Founder Chairman,Dentsu India Chairman,Mogae Group </ref>
- Sanjeev Lamba- CEO, Reliance Big Pictures
- Shailendra Singh- General Manager- International Business, C&S Electric Ltd.
- Shumeet Banerji- Former Chief Executive Officer of Booz & Company & Director, Hewlett-Packard Company
- Sunder Hemrajani- Managing Director, Times Innovative Media
- Tashwinder Singh- Director, KKR & Co.
- International Associations | Faculty of Management Studies
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "India's Best Business Schools".
- FMS scraps entrance exam turns to CAT
- How I learnt to Love The Money Market
- Improving with age- Hindustan Times
- Akzo Nobel India
- Rashmi Sinha, brother Amit Ranjan sell world’s largest slide-sharing site SlideShare to LinkedIn.com for Rs 640 cr - Economic Times
- Canon India promotes Alok Bharadwaj to executive VP
- D.S.Brar - Chairman, GVK Biosciences
- B-School Profile: Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), Delhi
- B-School Profile: Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), Delhi
- Management Team || Manoj Kohli
- Neelam Dhawan | HP® India
- Leadership Series by Mr. Niren Chaudhary, President- YUM! Restaurants India- Soilindia.net
- Network 18
- Tata Chemicals | Our Company | Executive team
- World Brand Congress 2010 ::
- RS Butola takes over as Chairman, Indian Oil
- Maxis' Sandip Das to head Reliance Industries' 4G mobile venture
- Sanjeev Lamba: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek
- Linkedin, Shailendra Singh
- Shumeet Banerji: Executive Profile & Biography- Business Week
- Times OOH appoints Sunder Hemrajani as MD
- KKR Hires CitiGroup's Tashwinder As Director At India Operations