Fairchild Fashion Media
|Headquarters||New York City|
(President and CEO)
Capital Cities Communications
The Walt Disney Company
Penske Media Corporation
Fairchild Fashion Media (FFM) is a publisher of fashion trade newspapers, magazines, websites, and conferences. FFM brands include Women’s Wear Daily, Footwear News (FN), Beauty Inc, M and Fairchild Summits.
Fairchild Publications was founded in 1892 when Edmund Fairchild, a peddler, took over the Daily Trade Record (later the Daily News Record and DNR), a failing newspaper that covered the men's clothing business. In June 1910, an insert called "Women's Wear" first appeared in the Record; a month later, Fairchild published it as a standalone publication, known today as Women's Wear Daily.
In 1968, the company—then named Fairchild Publications—was purchased by Capital Cities Communications. In 1996, The Walt Disney Company acquired Capital Cities/ABC. In 1997, Disney announced its intention to sell Fairchild, but it wasn't until 1999 that it sold Fairchild to Advance Publications, the parent company of Condé Nast Publications, for $650 million.
In 2010, Fairchild launched Menswear and took over the consumer-centric Style.com, previously part of Condé Nast Publications. In 2011, Fairchild Fashion Group was renamed Fairchild Fashion Media; in October of that year, FFM launched Style.com/Print, a print magazine extension of the brand. In 2012, FFM sold its Fairchild Books division to Bloomsbury Publishing for $6.5 million. The same year, it acquired Fashion Networks International, a blog network with contributors that included Anna Dello Russo, Bryanboy, Rumi Neely, and Derek Blasberg.
Over the years, the company's portfolio has included the following publications:
- Beauty Inc.
- Electronic News
- Footwear News
- Golf Pro Merchandising
- Home Furnishings Daily
- M (1983-1992; 2012-present)
- Metalworking News
- Supermarket News
- Palmeri, Christopher (August 19, 2014). "Penske Media Buys Fairchild Trade Magazines". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Axelrod, Nick (July 31, 2008). "The Changing Face of WWD". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Kuczinsky, Alex (August 20, 1999). "Merger Planned for 2 Giants of Fashion Publishing". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Bosman, Julie (September 27, 2005). "A Consolidation at Condé Nast Gives Magazines One Overseer". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Times, L.A. (November 24, 2008). "DNR RIP, men's fashion trade paper dead at 116". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Wilson, Eric (October 26, 2011). "Finally, the Web at Hand". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Publishing, Bloomsbury (April 2, 2012). "Acquisition of Fairchild Books". Bloomsbury Publishing. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Wicks, Amy (May 15, 2012). "Fairchild Fashion Media Acquires Blogger Network". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Bazilian, Emma (August 19, 2014). "Condé Nast Sells Fairchild Fashion Media to Penske". Adweek. Retrieved 30 August 2014.