Location of Fairfield, Texas
|• Total||4.5 sq mi (11.7 km2)|
|• Land||4.5 sq mi (11.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||463 ft (141 m)|
|• Density||685.6/sq mi (264.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1357165|
Fairfield is located at (31.721940, -96.158011).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.5 square miles (12 km2), all of it land. Also according to the 2010 United States Census Bureau, the population of Fairfield is 3,705.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,094 people, 1,235 households, and 791 families residing in the city. The population density was 685.6 people per square mile (264.9/km²). There were 1,431 housing units at an average density of 317.1 per square mile (122.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 71.46% White, 21.43% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.68% Asian, 4.65% from other races, and 1.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.50% of the population.
There were 1,235 households out of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.2% were married couples living together, 13.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.9% were non-families. 32.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,636, and the median income for a family was $40,871. Males had a median income of $29,643 versus $15,887 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,308. About 14.1% of families and 18.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.4% of those under age 18 and 22.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Tony Brackens - Played college football for the Texas Longhorns and played in the NFL for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Kenny Dorham - Jazz trumpeter.
- Nanceen Perry - USA Track team member for 2000 Sydney Olympics with star Marion Jones and more.
- Winfred Tubbs- Played college football for the Texas Longhorns and played in the NFL for the New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers.
- Louis Ray Cheek, Jr. - Louis Ray Cheek, Jr. (born October 6, 1964 in Galveston, Texas) is a former American football offensive lineman in the National Football League for the Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, and the Green Bay Packers. He played college football at Texas A&M University and was drafted in the eighth round of the 1988 NFL Draft.
The City of Fairfield is served by the Fairfield Independent School District.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Fairfield has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Fairfield, Texas
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Fairfield, Texas.|