Fairfield County, Ohio
|Fairfield County, Ohio|
Fairfield County Courthouse
Location in the state of Ohio
Ohio's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 9, 1800|
|Named for||the Fairfield area of Lancaster, Lancashire, UK|
|• Total||508.56 sq mi (1,317 km2)|
|• Land||504.41 sq mi (1,306 km2)|
|• Water||4.15 sq mi (11 km2), 0.82%|
|• Density||289.8/sq mi (112/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Fairfield County is a county located in the state of Ohio, United States. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 146,156, which is an increase of 19.1% from 122,759 in 2000. Its county seat is Lancaster. Its name is a reference to the Fairfield area of the original Lancaster.
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 508.56 square miles (1,317.2 km2), of which 504.41 square miles (1,306.4 km2) (or 99.18%) is land and 4.15 square miles (10.7 km2) (or 0.82%) is water.
Fairfield County sits just on the edge of Ohio's Appalachian region. While the once-glaciated northern portion of the county is fairly flat, as one travels south along U.S. 33 one can easily recognize the foothills of a mountainous region beginning around the village of Carroll. Although not officially part of the state or federal definition of Appalachia, certain areas of Fairfield County—particularly south of U.S. 22—bear a distinctly Appalachian feel in both physical geography and demographics.
- Licking County (north)
- Perry County (east)
- Hocking County (south)
- Pickaway County (southwest)
- Franklin County (northwest)
As of the census of 2010, there were 146,156 people, 54,310 households, and 39,846 families residing in the county. The population density was 289 people per square mile (111/km²). There were 58,678 housing units at an average density of 116 per square mile (44/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 90.02% White, 6.00% Black or African American, 0.20% Native American, 1.10% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 1.90% from two or more races. 1.70% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 54,310 households out of which 34.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.30% were married couples living together, 11.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.60% were non-families. 21.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.30% under the age of 18, 8.00% from 18 to 24, 30.20% from 25 to 44, 23.90% from 45 to 64, and 12.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.2 years. For every 100 females there were 99.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $47,962, and the median income for a family was $55,539. Males had a median income of $39,566 versus $27,353 for females. The per capita income for the county was $21,671. About 4.50% of families and 5.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.40% of those under age 18 and 6.20% of those age 65 or over.
Roster of County Officials (as of December, 2013):
- Commissioners: David L. Levacy (R), Steve Davis (R), Mike Kiger (R)
- Prosecutor: Gregg Marx (R)
- Sheriff: David Phalen (R)
- Auditor: Jon A. Slater, Jr. (R)
- Treasurer: Brian S. Kuhn, CPA (R)
- Recorder: Gene Wood (R)
- Clerk of Courts: Deborah Smalley (R)
- Engineer: Jeremiah Upp (R)
- Coroner: Thomas R. Vajen (R)
- Judge, Common Pleas Court: Chris Allan Martin (R)
- Judge, Common Pleas Court: Richard Berens (R)
- Judge, Common Pleas Court (General/Domestic Relations): Laura B. Smith (R)
- Judge, Common Pleas Court (Juvenile/Probate): Terre L. Vandervoort (R)
- Amanda Clearcreek Local School District
- Berne Union Local School District
- Bloom-Carroll Local School District
- Canal Winchester Local School District (Franklin & Fairfield)
- Fairfield Union Local School District
- Lancaster City Schools
- Liberty Union-Thurston Local School District
- Northern Local School District
- Pickerington Local School District
- Reynoldsburg Local School District
- Southwest Local School District
- Teays Valley Local School District (Almost entirely Pickaway)
- Walnut Township Local School District
- St. Bernadette School
- Amanda Clearcreek Digital Academy
- Amanda Clearcreek High School
- Liberty Union High School
- Bloom-Carroll High School
- Fairfield Career Center
- Fairfield Union High School
- Lancaster Fairfield Alternative School
- Lancaster High School
- Millersport Jr/Sr High School
- Walnut Township Academy
- Pickerington High School Central
- Pickerington High School North
- Berne Union High School
- William V. Fisher Catholic High School
- "Ohio County Profiles: Fairfield County" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- "Fairfield County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Fairfield County data". Ohio State University Extension Data Center. Retrieved 2007-04-28.[dead link]
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Miller, Charles Christian (1912). History of Fairfield County, Ohio, and representative citizens. Chicago: Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company. p. 82.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Fairfield County Government's website
- Fairfield County Visitors & Convention Bureau
- Lancaster-Fairfield County Annual July 4 Celebration
||Franklin County||Licking County|
|Pickaway County||Hocking County|