Fairfield Warde High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
|Fairfield Warde High School|
|Motto||Welcoming, Academic, Respectful, Dynamic, Ethical (formerly Friendship, Honor, Scholarship)|
|Established||1956 as Andrew Warde HS
1986 as Fairfield HS
2004 as Fairfield Warde HS
|Location||755 Melville Avenue,
Fairfield, Connecticut, USA
|District||Fairfield Public Schools|
|Colors||Red, White, and Black|
(formerly Farfieldiana, formerly Flame)
(formerly Crimson Crier)
The existing Fairfield High School was opened in 1956, originally called Andrew Warde High School.
In 2001, Fairfield High School was deemed overcrowded. To alleviate population overflow, in 2003 Fairfield Ludlowe High School was opened at the former Roger Ludlowe High School site, then being used as Roger Ludlowe Middle School. The middle school has since claimed a new building, located next to Fairfield Ludlowe High. Fairfield Warde High School was renamed in 2004 so both schools could keep the historic Fairfield names from before the 1987 consolidation but also maintain the reputation of the Fairfield name. In the 2003–2004 school year, the school went under an extensive renovation projection which was completed in 2006.
For years, FWHS was known for its successes in women's sports, basketball, and math league, in which it dominated district and state competition for most of the 1970s and 80s, and occasionally won regional (New England) championships.
Alumni of Andrew Warde / Fairfield High / Fairfield Warde include:
- Richard Belzer (class of 1962), actor, known for playing John Munch on Law and Order:SVU
- Andrew Hidalgo (class of 1974), founder of WPCS International
- Linda Kozlowski (class of 1976), actress
- Eliot A. Jardines (class of 1989), founder of the National Open Source Enterprise
- J. J. Henry (class of 1993), professional golfer
- Thomas Blake (class of 1994), professional tennis player
- John Mayer (class of 1995), musician and Grammy Award winner
- Matt Morgan (class of 1995), professional wrestler
- James Blake (class of 1997), professional tennis player
- Raviv "Ricky" Ullman (class of 2004), actor known for starring role in Disney's Phil of the Future
- John Mayer Bounced from His Alma Mater people.com, by Stephen M, Silverman, December 27, 2004. Retrieved November 9, 2010
- "Fairfield youth is ‘Phil of the Future' on Disney Channel". Jewish Ledger. November 17, 2004. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
|This Connecticut school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|