|Compatible networks||GSM 850 900 1800 1900
WCDMA 900 2100
|Dimensions||126.0 mm (4.96 in) H
63.5 mm (2.50 in) W
10 mm (0.39 in) D
|Weight||170 g (6.0 oz)|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 with specific extensions (Fairphone OS)|
|CPU||MediaTek MTK6589M (quad-core) 1.2 GHz|
|Removable storage||microSD up to 64 GB|
|Display||4.3 in (110 mm) diagonal IPS LCD 960×540 px qHD 256 ppi supporting 16M colours|
|External display||Dragontrail glass|
|Rear camera||8 MP|
|Front camera||1.3 MP|
Fairphone is a social enterprise with the aim to develop a smartphone designed and produced with minimal harm to people and planet. The company is based in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and is supported by the (Dutch Wikipedia) Waag Society, a foundation that aims to foster experimentation with new technologies, art and culture. The main motivation for founding Fairphone was to develop a mobile device which does not contain conflict minerals (which in smartphones are typically gold, tin, tantalum and tungsten) and with fair labor conditions for the workforce along the supply chain.
History and mission
Fairphone was founded as a social enterprise in January 2013 after having existed as a campaign for two and a half years. The company's website states that their mission is to "bring a fair smartphone to the market – one designed and produced with minimal harm to people and planet". Fairphone, however, acknowledges that it will not be possible to produce a 100% fair phone yet, but by aiming toward this end seeks to raise awareness among consumers and in the mobile industry.
2013: first production batch
- The project raised money for the initial batch of phones through pre-orders, reaching the required 5,000 on 5 June 2013. It sold the entire initial production run of 25,000 handsets on 13 November 2013,, nearly a month in advance of the revised mid-December release date.
2014: second production batch and partnerships
- A second production run of 35,000 phones was released for sale on 21 May 2014.
- In September 2014 The Phone Co-op announced itself to be the UK's sole stockist of Fairphone's second batch handset.
- Mier, Joe. "5,000 Fairphones sold! Let’s start production!". Fairphone Blog. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "First Fairphone Sells Out". Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Production Update: Delivery Timeline". Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- iFixit and Fairphone – Fixing The Cell Phone Problem, iFixit e-mail of April 3, 2014 (web version)
- Morgan, Pinder. "Fairphone – Ethics Meets Technology". Capital Technologies. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- Ravenscroft, Fiona. "Fairphone: a review". The Phone Co-op blog. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- Articles, media
- (German) Hintergrund: Auf der Suche nach dem Fair-Trade-Handy, Fabienne Klenger, Tagesanzeiger, 5 September 2012
- (German) Ethisches Smartphone „Fairphone“: „Wir wollen die Industrie inspirieren“ / Das erste Fair Phone der Welt: Der Wille zum Konsum, Anna Schwarz, TAZ, 13 November 2012
- Conflict-free: FairPhone struggles for more ethical smartphones in 2013, Joshua Kopstein, The Verge, 20 December 2012
- (German) FairPhone: Designer entwickeln ein Fair-Trade-Handy, Benjamin Dürr, Spiegel Online, 13 January 2013
- (German) Handyproduktion ohne Blutmineralien – Niederländische Initiative will Fairphone bauen, Ludger Kazmierczak, Deutschlandfunk, 22 January 2013
- (German) Fair telefonieren für Fortgeschrittene, Matthias Auer, Die Presse, 9 February 2013
- My search for a smartphone ends here, George Monbiot, The Guardian, 25.4.2013
- (German) Fairphone: Mittelklasse-Modell mit Quad-Core und konfliktfreien Rohstoffen, heise online, 15 May 2013
- (German) Niederländer bauen weltweit erstes "Fairphone", Tagesschau, 24 May 2013
- (German) Fairphone: Ein Handy mit Herz, Stefan Betschon, NZZ, 6 June 2013
- Fairphone: disrupting the mobile phone market through values, Bas van Abel, The Guardian, 8 July 2013
- World’s first ethical smartphone unveiled – and the pre-orders flood in, Sebastian Salek, The Independent, 15 September 2013
- Could Fairphone help clean up supply chains in the smartphone market?, Rich McEachran, The Guardian, 19 September 2013
- Fairphone, the world's first 'ethical smartphone', launches in London, Sebastian Salek, The Independent, 20 September 2013
- (German) Fairphone: Keines wie alle andern, Stefan Schmitt, Die Zeit 43/13, 18 October 2013
- Fairphone -- changing the way products are made: Bas van Abel at TEDxAmsterdam, YouTube video, 12 min., 6 November 2013