Fairview High School (Boulder, Colorado)
|Fairview High School|
|1515 Greenbriar Boulavard
Boulder, CO, 80305
|Type||Public High School|
Fairview High School is a public high school located on the southern edge of Boulder, Colorado in the Table Mesa area. About 2,000 students attend Fairview, placing it in the 5A category for Colorado sports. Fairview High School is ranked in the top ten in Colorado and in the top three-hundred of high schools in the United States.
Prior to recent additions, Fairview High School's interior was unique: only a single room in the entire building was rectangular, as most rooms were fragments of hexagons. Generally the rooms in the building lack windows, or have only tall thin windows. The school is situated on a slope, so hallways are on separate levels, with stairs allowing passage in between. Situated in the center of the school, the student center has student lockers. Large ramps on either side serve as the main passageways throughout the school. On clear days, visibility extends north to Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park; however, the library with its large panoramic windows is the only room with a good view. The building was originally constructed in 1971, and underwent renovations to the north end of the student center after a roof collapsed in the winter of 1978–1979. (During this period, classes were held at nearby University of Colorado.) Recent additions to the main entrance and the south-west side have added more windows, classrooms, and offices. Additionally, solid, permanent walls in the two uppermost levels have been built and the attendance office has been relocated. (See "Future Improvements" section.)
Fine arts programs
Fairview High School has a long history of music and theater programs with eight choirs. They are Voices of the Knight (the freshmen choir), Troubadors (the show choir), Enchantment (the women's choir), Festival (the advanced mix choir), Madrigal Singers (an extracurricular choir specializing in madrigals), Chivalry (an extracurricular men's choir), Excalibur (the senior jazz choir, specializing in a cappella), and Age of Guinevere (the women's jazz choir, started in 2007).
Fairview High School's instrumental music program includes an orchestra (The Classic Knights), three jazz bands, six smaller jazz combos, and a concert/marching band. Fairview High School also has a concert and marching band. The Fairview Marching Knights placed fourth at the Colorado Bandmasters Association state finals in October 2006 and again in October 2009 and have been in the top 10 in the state each year since CBA's inception. During the marching season, students spend about 300 hours outside of regular school hours practicing for competitions.
Fairview High School's orchestra is a large string orchestra, and they also conduct a smaller Chamber Orchestra, which is a select, audition-only group.
Fairview High School's theater program produces a musical in the fall and a play in the spring.
Each year in March, all three departments (choral, instrumental, and theater) present the Pops Festival, a show of music and dance. This festival includes choral, a Cappella, full band, jazz band, dancing, and comedy acts.
International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement programs
Fairview High School offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. At Fairview High School the IB program requires no application, and is composed of two years of an internationally standardized curriculum taught in classes during a student's junior and senior years. In addition to the coursework, to complete the IB program students must also write an Extended Essay (EE) and participate in 150 CAS hours within the community before the full IB Diploma is awarded. Fairview High School also offers a pre-IB program composed of two years of preparatory honors classes during the 9th and 10th grades. These classes are not formally required for the IB Diploma, but are recommended and sometimes required by the school to move into the IB classes. Fairview High School students have the opportunity to enroll in a mixture of IB, AP and/or regular classes.
The Fairview High School athletic program consists of many different sports. Some of the most prominent are cross country, girls swimming and boys basketball, which have all been consistently involved in state championships. Girls' cross country has won two state titles in the past six years and have placed in the top five in other years. In 2006, the girls' swim team became nationally ranked in the country's top ten and for the past few years have held a first and second finish at the Colorado State Championships.The team won the state championship in 2004 and has finished in the top three the past five years. The team has boasted a national top-10 ranking and numerous All-Americans. The 2005 200 Freestyle relay team was ranked second nationally, by just one-tenth of a second. The boys basketball team finished the 2009 regular season number one in the state in 5A, with a perfect 23–0 record and reached the final four before losing in the semi-finals. In 2007 the golf team won the state championship and the tennis team got second in state. Fairview has 3 football state championships in 1978, 1979 and 1987. The football team came in 2nd in 1977 losing in the state championship game. From 1999 to 2002 the football team won four straight Centennial League championships including going to State in 2001 and 2002. In 2009 the football team went 12–0 before losing in the semifinals, this team was the first to go 12–0 in school history, Fairview also went undefeated in the Front Range League, which included wins over 8-0 Ft. Collins, Legacy, and Rocky Mtn. The 2009-10 Men's Basketball team made it to the state championship game losing to defending state-champion Regis Jesuit in overtime. The Fairview Men's soccer team reached the state quarterfinals in 2008 and 2009. The Fairview Women's soccer team won the state championship in 2010 for the first time in school history.
According to the 2013 U.S. News & World Report of high schools, Fairvew High School is ranked No. 7 in Colorado, No. 294 in the United States, and No. 97 in STEM education in the United States. Fairview High School was ranked by Newsweek Magazine as the 2nd best high school in Colorado and the 98th in the nation. 79.8% of all seniors passed an AP or IB test.
- Chicago White Sox reliever Jesse Crain also graduated from the class of 1999. He played baseball, basketball and football and was named 1999 All-State and Colorado High School Player of the Year.
- Former NFL Tight End Dustin Lyman graduated Fairview in 1995. He played football and baseball at Wake Forest University, and went on to play five seasons for the Chicago Bears.
- Former Major League Baseball player Jay Howell graduated from Fairview High School in the 1970s.
- Former NBA All-Star Tom Chambers played at Fairview High School in 1977.
- Chris Foote the center on USC's 1978 National Championship team and a 10-year NFL veteran played for Fairview in the early 1970s.
- Indianapolis Colts Coach Chuck Pagano starred on Fairview's championship teams in 1977-78, and his younger brother John Pagano, currently the Defensive Coordinator for the San Diego Chargers graduated in 1984.
- Former NFL All-Pro offensive lineman Tony Boselli graduated in 1990.
- Former Indianapolis Colts offensive lineman Kevin Call graduated in 1980.
- Bob Byman graduated in 1973 and had five career wins on the PGA and European golf tours.
- Kevin Russo, 2002 Fairview graduate, is a member of the Detroit Tigers franchise.
Musicians and actors
- Former American Idol contestant Ace Young graduated from the class of 1999. He participated in sports and choir.
- Actress Sheryl Lee was born in Germany but grew up in Boulder, and went on to appear as the dead Laura Palmer in the television show Twin Peaks.
- TV Actress Sheree J. Wilson
- The members of the rock band Rose Hill Drive attended Fairview.
- Though she never directly attended Fairview High School, Jessica Biel was tutored at Fairview.
- John Patrick Lowrie, voice actor for popular video games such as Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2.
- Poker pro Paul Wasicka, who played five sports at Fairview, placed 2nd at the 2006 World Series of Poker Main Event.
|This article is outdated. (July 2013)|
In 2006 a bond issue was issued to the Boulder Valley School District for school improvements. Fairview High School was included in this issue and now improvements are being planned for the school. These renovations include reconstructing the 300 level to allow for more classroom space, moving all of the administration offices to the senior balcony, remodeling the 700 level locker rooms and other spaces, creating new classrooms and space near the 600 level, enclosing open spaces on the 800 level to create more classrooms and to improve the ones in place, and adding skylights to the student center. On top of these, the front entrance to Fairview High School will be remodeled to reduce confusion from the current two door design. The athletic facilities at Fairview will also be improved. A field house will be constructed near the track and water/sewage lines will be extended out to there. Signs, fences and gates will be added to provide more security and the softball field will be upgraded. Some of these changes have already been completed. See the project website[dead link] for further information.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007)|
- Fairview High School > School Profile
- "Fairview High School Overview". usnews.com Website. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- http://web.me.com/cjones_cu/fbbo/MarchingBand.html[dead link]
- "Fairview Honors Program". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- 2013 America's Best High Schools - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- Fairview High School - Home