Fairview High School (Boulder, Colorado)
|Fairview High School|
|1515 Greenbriar Boulevard
Boulder, Colorado, 80305
|Type||Public High School|
|Established||1960, 55 years ago|
|School district||Boulder Valley S.D.|
|Color(s)||Red, White, Black
|Athletics||CHSAA Class 5A|
|Newspaper||The Royal Banner|
|Feeder schools||Southern Hills (Middle)|
|Elevation||5,480 ft (1,670 m) AMSL|
|Website||Fairview High School|
Opened 55 years ago in 1960, Fairview was the city's second high school, located in its southern end, and is a member of the Boulder Valley School District. More than 2,000 students attend the school, placing it in the 5A category of the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA). The 2014 US News Ranking placed Fairview among the top three high schools in Colorado, 205th in the United States, and 122nd nationally in STEM education.
In 2015 the Washington Post named Fairview the 340th 'most challenging' high school to attend in the United States. According to the 2014 U.S. News & World Report of high schools, Fairvew High School is ranked third in Colorado, No. 205 in the United States, and No. 122 in STEM education in the United States. Fairview High School was ranked by Newsweek Magazine as the 2nd best high school in Colorado and the 98th in the nation. More than 79% of all seniors passed an AP or IB test.
International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement programs
Fairview High School is one of around 20 in Colorado to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. The school also offers a pre-IB program composed of two years of preparatory honors classes during the ninth and tenth grades. Students have the opportunity to enroll in a mixture of IB, AP regular classes or both.
- Boys' Cross Country
- Girls Cross Country
- Boys' Golf
- Boys' Soccer
- Boys' Tennis
- Cheer/Pom Squad
- Boys' Basketball
- Girls' Basketball
- Boys' Wrestling
- Girls' Swimming and Diving
- Boys Hockey
- Boys' Swimming and Diving
- Boys' Lacrosse
- Girls' Golf
- Girls' Soccer
- Girls' Tennis
- Boys' Track and Field
- Girls' Track and Field
Entertainment and music
- Jessica Biel (2000) - actress, played the role of Mary Camden in the television drama 7th Heaven Biel never fully attended Fairview, she was only tutored there.
- Sheryl Lee, (1985), actress, played Laura Palmer on TV show Twin Peaks
- Jill Goodacre (1982), former model and actress, married to musician Harry Connick, Jr.
- Sheree J. Wilson (1977), played April on the TV series Dallas; and Alex on Walker, Texas Ranger
- Joan Van Ark (1961) - actress, most notable for her role as Valene Ewing in the primetime soap opera Knots Landing.
- Tom Chambers (1977) - basketball player, drafted 8th overall in the 1981 NBA Draft, made four All-Star Games and played for the 1992-93 Phoenix Suns team that went 62-20 and lost to the Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals.
- Tony Boselli (1991) - offensive tackle drafted 2nd overall in the 1995 NFL Draft and first overall in the 2002 NFL Expansion Draft. A 5-time Pro Bowler (1996-2000) and 3-time All-Pro (1997–99), his career was cut short due to injuries following the 2002 season.
- Jesse Crain (1999) - pitcher who has played in MLB since August 2004. Exclusively used as a reliever during his time in the majors, Crain has a 3.05 career ERA and 440 strikeouts in 532 innings. His best season came in 2013, when he made the All-Star team as a member of the Chicago White Sox, posting a 0.74 ERA before an injury derailed the second half of his season.
- John Mozeliak (1987) - general manager of the St. Louis Cardinals; 2011 World Series champion.
- Scott Lockwood - NFL football player
- Chuck Pagano (1978), NFL head coach, Indianapolis Colts, 2012-
- John Pagano (1985), defensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.
- Kenny Bell (2010), wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, drafted in 2015. (cs)
- Fairview High School > School Profile
- "Fairview High School Overview". usnews.com Website. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "National Schools: Get Challenge Index scores for more than 2300 high schools nationwide". apps.washingtonpost.com. Washington Post. 2015. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- 2013 America's Best High Schools - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- "Fairview Honors Program". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "CHSAA Boys Football: All-time football state championship game results, current classifications 4A". http://chsaanow.com. CHSAA. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Fairview Girls 2010 High School State Champions". http://soccer-channel.com. Soccer-channel.com. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "CHSAA Girls' Swimming: Past Results, state meet results 2001-2013". http://chsaanow.com. CHSAA. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- Honan, William H. (9 March 1999). "A 14-Year-Old Wins Top Prize In Intel Contest". New York Times (New York Times). Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Natalia Toro followed a far-from-ordinary path from CU high school concurrent student to particle physicist". Continuing Education at Colorado. University of Colorado. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Gorzkowski, Waldemar; Tichy-Rács, Ádám. "IPhO LIST OF WINNERS IN 1ST – 41ST INTERNATIONAL PHYSICS OLYMPIADS" (PDF). JYU. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Natalia Toro". Cogito.org. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- James Brady (July 10, 2005). "In Step With: Jessica Biel". Parade Magazine.[dead link]
- CBS Denver (December 2, 2013). "Famous Coloradans". CBS Local.
- "Chuck Pagano, graduate of Boulder's Fairview High, hired as Indianapolis Colts coach", Daily Camera, January 25, 2012.
- John Pagano bio at San Diego Chargers (accessed 2012-12-22).