Faison, North Carolina
|Faison, North Carolina|
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||161 ft (49 m)|
|• Density||888.2/sq mi (342.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1020204|
|Website||Town of Faison|
Faison was named for an early prominent family.
Faison is located at (35.115731, -78.140170).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.2 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 736 people, 316 households, and 136 families residing in the town. The population density was 888.2 people per square mile (342.0/km²). There were 354 housing units at an average density of 422.6 per square mile (162.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 64.11% White, 14.78% African American, 0.13% Native American, 20.30% from other races, and 0.67% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 24.73% of the population.
There were 314 households out of which 27.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.9% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.3% were non-families. 33.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.6% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 95.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $22,788, and the median income for a family was $30,724. Males had a median income of $25,536 versus $20,667 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,558. About 18.7% of families and 27.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.0% of those under age 18 and 24.3% of those age 65 or over.
- William E. Thornton, an astronaut, is from Faison.
- James W. Blanchard, Rear Adm. USN, Submarine Commander WWII, Navy Cross recipient, is from Faison.
- Samson L. Faison, U.S. Army Brigadier General in WWI, was born in Faison.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 123.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.