August 6, 1957 |
Augusta, Georgia, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Larry Lunetta (1986-present; 1 child)|
|Faith Prince in June 2008|
Faith Prince (born August 6, 1957) is an American actress and singer, best known for her work on Broadway in musical theatre. She won the Tony Award as Best Actress in a Musical (in 1992), and received three other Tony nominations.
Life and career
Prince was born in Augusta, Georgia, and raised in Lynchburg, Virginia, where she attended E.C. Glass High School, and later studied theater at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. She made her Broadway debut as the Gypsy character Tessie Tura in Jerome Robbins' Broadway (1989) and followed this with a role in the ill-fated Nick & Nora.
She established herself as a Broadway star with her portrayal of Miss Adelaide in the 1992 revival of Guys and Dolls, for which she won both the Tony and Drama Desk Award as Best Actress in a Musical. In 2001, Prince was once again nominated for Tony and Drama Desk Awards for her portrayal of Ella Peterson in the 2001 revival of Bells Are Ringing. She was featured in the 2008 Broadway musical A Catered Affair, for which she received Tony and Drama Desk nominations.
She appeared in a concert version of Sweeney Todd with the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra in Orlando, Florida in March 2009. On April 7, 2009, she took over the role of Ursula from Heidi Blickenstaff in the Broadway musical The Little Mermaid.
She appeared in such films as The Last Dragon (1985), Dave (1993), Picture Perfect (1997), and Our Very Own (2005), among others. Her television credits include the short-lived High Society (1995); recurring roles on Spin City (1997–2000) and Huff (2004–2005), as well as guest appearances on such shows as Remington Steele, Law & Order, Monk, Frasier, House, Grey's Anatomy, Drop Dead Diva, Ugly Betty, and Happy Endings.
A live recording of her 2005 cabaret debut at Joe's Pub, at The Public Theater, entitled A Leap of Faith, was released on the DRG Records label. A second recording, titled Total Faith was recorded at the Royal Room, Palm Beach, Florida. She has participated in studio recordings of scores from Breakfast at Tiffany's and Jerry Herman's unproduced musical, Miss Spectacular.
She performs her cabaret act in various venues, such as the Orange County Performing Arts Center, California, in April 2010 and Caramoor, New York, in May 2010. Prince appeared in the concert version (and accompanying recording) of the revue Life Begins at 8:40 at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, on March 22, 2010. She also performed the closing show in the 2002-2003 theatre season at Eisenhower Hall at West Point.
- Jerome Robbins' Broadway (1989)
- Falsettoland (1990)
- Guys and Dolls (1992 revival)
- What's Wrong with This Picture? (1994)
- The King and I (1996 revival)
- Picture Perfect (1997)
- Little Me (1998 revival)
- James Joyce's The Dead (2000)
- Noises Off (2001 revival)
- Bells Are Ringing (2001 revival)
- A Man of No Importance (2002)
- A Catered Affair (2008)
- The Little Mermaid (2009)
- Billy Elliot (Second National Tour) (2010-2011)
- Annie (2013-2014)
Awards and nominations
|1989||Jerome Robbins' Broadway||Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|Jerome Robbins' Broadway||Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|1992||Guys and Dolls||Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical||Won|
|Guys and Dolls||Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical||Won|
|2001||Bells Are Ringing||Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|Bells are Ringing||Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|2008||A Catered Affair||Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|A Catered Affair||Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
- Quintos, Michael L. She also had voice lessons from Carl Harris, a conductor at Shenandoah Conservatory."BWW Interviews: Tony Winner FAITH PRINCE Returns to OCPAC's Cabaret Stage" broadwayworld.com, April 8, 2010
- Kenrick, John."Faith Prince biography" musicals101.com, retrieved May 26, 2010
- Gans, Andrew."The Broadway Affair Begins: New Fierstein-Bucchino Musical Arrives at the Kerr March 25" playbill.com, March 25, 2008
- Gans, Andrew."Faith Prince and Davis Gaines Will Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd in Florida" playbill.com, January 30, 2009
- Gans, Andrew."Tony Winner Faith Prince to Join Broadway's Little Mermaid" playbill.com, February 17, 2009
- Kramer, Peter D."Faith Prince at Caramoor" lohud.com, May 4, 2010
- "'Breakfast At Tiffany's' Studio Recording", musical-theatre.net, retrieved February 20, 2010
- Suskin, Steven."On The Record: Into the Woods with Miss Spectacular" playbill.com, July 28, 2002
- "Faith Prince to Replace Paul Szot in Cabaret Series at OCPAC" Los Angeles Times, February 12, 2010
- Probst, Andy."Kate Baldwin, Montego Glover, Brad Oscar, Faith Prince, et al. Set for Life Begins at 8:40 Concert and Recording" theatermania.com, March 5, 2010
- Gans, Andrew."Second National Tour of 'Billy Elliot', With Faith Prince, Launches Oct. 30" playbill.com, October 30, 2010
- Sokol, Robert."Faith, home and charity: 'Billy Elliot's' Prince plays in San Francisco benefit" San Francisco Examiner, July 25, 2011
- Gioia, Michael. "Tony Winner Faith Prince Steps Into Miss Hannigan's Shoes in Broadway's 'Annie' Starting July 19" playbill.com, JUly 19, 2013
- Crowder, Marcus. "Sacramento resident, Broadway actress Faith Prince to sing with Sac Philharmonic", May 20, 2011
- Official website
- Faith Prince at the Internet Movie Database
- Faith Prince at the Internet Broadway Database