Faith and Freedom Coalition
|Founder||Ralph E. Reed, Jr.|
|Focus||Social conservative political advocacy|
|Slogan||Restoring America's Greatness & Founding Principles|
The organization was founded in 2009 by Christian Coalition founder Ralph E. Reed, Jr., who described it as "a 21st century version of the Christian Coalition". Reed designed the coalition as a bridge between the Tea Party movement and evangelical voters. The organization has grown quickly with hundreds of thousands of supporters and several hundred local chapters. Reed and his organization were a major supporter of the Romney-Ryan campaign in 2012 after organizing a debate for the Republican candidates, and a state chapter was also involved in state elections in 2011.
Faith and Freedom Conference & Strategy Briefing
FFC held its first conference in September 2010 in Washington, D.C., with prominent speakers Newt Gingrich, Karl Rove, and Bob McDonnell, the governor of Virginia. Other well-known attendees included Gary Bauer, Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, Richard Land, Rep. Randy Forbes, Herman Cain, Rep. Tom Price, Dinesh D’Souza, and Rick Santorum.
The 2011 conference was also held in Washington in June with several hundred attendees. Nearly all the Republican 2012 presidential hopefuls spoke, including Gingrich, Tim Pawlenty, Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman, Jr., Rick Santorum, and Ron Paul. The Associated Press described the conference as a "tryout for candidates hoping to fill a void left by former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, an ordained Baptist minister who won the 2008 Iowa caucus but is not running for the 2012 Republican nomination." The Los Angeles Times said Bachmann was the most enthusiastically received by the crowd. Haley Barbour and Donald Trump, both of whom considered running but decided not to do so, also spoke. Cain was the keynote speaker at the closing banquet.
In May 2012, the organization announced a Jewish outreach component. At the June 2012 conference, a Shabbat program was held, with traditional, kosher Shabbat meals and Orthodox Jewish prayer services.
Road to Majority
June 19, 2014 marked FFC's 5th annual Road to Majority policy conference in Washington, DC. The event was attended by national grassroots activists and featured notable speakers such as Gov. Bobby Jindal, Monica Crowley, Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Mitch McConnell, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, and Mike Huckabee. Historic conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly received the Winston Churchill Award for Conservative Leadership for her history of conservative activism.
- Gilgoff, Dan (June 23, 2009). "Exclusive: Ralph Reed Launches New Values Group: 'Not Your Daddy's Christian Coalition'". Politics & Policy: God & Country. U.S. News and World Report. Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- "Ralph's way: The Wunderkind returns". The Economist. September 16, 2010. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- Republican contenders compete for Christian conservatives
- Resnikoff, Ned (November 5, 2012). "Ryan: Obama’s agenda ‘compromises Judeo-Christian values’". http://www.msnbc.com/. MSNBC. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Derby, Kevin. "GOP Hopefuls Kick Off P-5 With Pre-Debate Rally". http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/. Sunshine State News. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Kroll, Andy. "Evangelicals and Abortion Foes Dive Into Wisconsin Recalls". http://www.motherjones.com/. Mother Jones. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- About the Faith and Freedom Coalition
- Nolan, Hamilton. "My Kasual Kountry Weekend With the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan". Gawker. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Mohel, Dave (August 13, 2010). "Grassroots to Gather at Faith & Freedom Conference and Strategy Briefing". http://www.christiannewswire.com/. Christian Newswire. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Bob McDonnell 'tip of the spear'
- "GOP Candidates Woo Social Conservatives". http://www.p2012.org/. Beltway Happenings. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- "Iowa Gets First Big 2012 GOP Forum". http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/. Fox News. December 29, 2010. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Glover, Mike (March 7, 2011). "Iowa Faith & Freedom Coalition Forum Brings 5 Mulling GOP Presidential Bids To Stage". http://www.huffingtonpost.com/politics/. Huffington Post. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Conference Offers Tryout for Hopefuls
- Barbour, RNC Chair Warn Conservatives
- Donald Trump dings Eric Cantor, reprises birther talk
- Herman Cain says 2012 is his to lose
- Allen, Mike. "Chris Christie to speak to ‘pro-family’ group". http://www.politico.com/. Politico. Retrieved September 2, 2014.