Faith in Place
|Key people||Reverend Clare Butterfield, founder|
|Product(s)||clean energy and sustainable farm-grown and prepared foods|
|Mission||Partnering with religious congregations to promote clean energy & sustainable farming.|
|Method(s)||Workshops, interfaith networking, cooperative building|
Faith in Place is an American organization based in Chicago, Illinois that coordinates religious leaders to address environmental sustainability issues. Partnering with religious congregations, Faith in Place promotes clean energy and sustainable farming. Since 1999, Faith in Place has partnered with over 700 congregations in Illinois.
Started in 1999, as a project of the Center for Neighborhood Technology, it later incorporated as an independent organization. Initially the group worked in seven location to develop projects and then expanded to regional coordination. In 2003 they incorporated officially and moved to independent offices in late 2004.
Activities and projects
Illinois Interfaith Power & Light Campaign
Their Illinois Interfaith Power & Light Campaign helps various religious groups conserve energy, purchase clean energy and advocates for conservation. Faith in Place is the Illinois chapter of the national Interfaith Power & Light campaign. They assisted the Jewish Reconstructionist Congregation in building the nation's first certified green synagogue. Another project they facilitated was Mosque Foundation in Bridgeview becoming the United States’ first mosque to go solar.
- Religion and environmentalism
- Christianity and environmentalism
- Evangelical environmentalism
- Spiritual ecology
- Lutheran Volunteer Corps
- Eat Where You Live: How to Find and Enjoy Local and Sustainable Food No Matter Where You Live by Lou Bendrick; The Mountaineers Books, 2008; ISBN 1-59485-074-7, ISBN 978-1-59485-074-5
- "Green Awards 2007 Honorees: Rev. Clare Butterfield and Shireen Pishdadi, Faith in Place" Chicago Magazine, April 2007 by Geoffrey Johnson.
- Beyond Organic: God, Food & the Environment
- Grace Matters: Courtesy Toward the Earth by Peter W. Marty April 29, 2007
- Bread rising: Environmentalist mixes faith with organic flour The Lutheran by Nicole Adamson, November 2006.
- Faith In Place: About Us: History
- "Churches' faith down to Earth" by Amanda Vogt, Chicago Tribune, February 25, 2005.
- "Bridgeview mosque goes solar" by Manya Brachear, Chicago Tribune, July 31, 2008.
- Chicago Public Radio (WBEZ), interview with Clare Butterfield, August 2005.