Palestine Street or Falastin Street (Arabic: شارع فلسطين) is a street located in Eastern Baghdad it runs parallel and to the west of Army Canal between Mustanssiriya square through Beirut square to Maysalon square in the neighbourhood of Mustansiriya, Nile, Muthana, Idris and 14 July.
A recent incident took place on Falastin street where a number of Westerners were kidnapped, in a snatch operation that reportedly involved up to 40 gunmen traveling in an official-looking convoy.
A security source told told the independent news agency Voices of Iraq (VOI) that the incident took place in Falastin Street, eastern Baghdad. "Gunmen stopped a vehicle and brought out its passengers, believed to be carrying German passports, at gunpoint, and took them in a vehicle to an unknown place," said the source, who declined to be named.
According to the Iraqi Interior Ministry official, the New York Times reports, the attack took place just outside the Technology and Information Directorate, a section of the Finance Ministry located on Palestine Street, a religiously mixed area near Sadr City.
In the past few months Palestine street area witnessed lots of reconstruction efforts, we can notice the large number of trees those were planted by Baghdad municipality and also some fountains even some children playgrounds were prepared. Palestine srtreet is one of the least areaes those witnessed violence acts since 2003 till now and in fact its nowadays is the most active commercial and shopping center in eastern Baghdad.
It is believed that this is the street on which Robert Minhinnick based his poem 'The Yellow Palm'.
- The Musical Culture of Iraqi Jewry: Three Countries and Two Continents by Galia Ben-Mordechai
- "Along Palestine Street, a once vibrant commercial district, shop owners were relieved not by the greater military presence, but by the absence of Mahdi Army militiamen from neighboring Sadr City, the impoverished Shiite district and militia stronghold." from Baghdad Plan Has Elusive Targets Washington Post. Published February 26, 2007
- U.S. Soldiers Kill 2 Iraqis After Bomb Explodes Near Convoy by Edward Wong. Published: January 12, 2004
- "In years gone by, Palestine Street was the site of one of the biggest celebrations of Baath party control." Baghdad not in party mood By Jonny Dymond. BBC News 18 July 2003
- Baghdad streets
- (Jeddah Palestine Steet)Visiting US Consulate: Crossing the Road Can Be Hazardous Arab News.
|This Baghdad-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|