Fall River Heritage State Park
|Fall River Heritage State Park|
|Massachusetts State Park|
Visitors building at Fall River Heritage State Park
|Location||200 Davol Street|
|Area||14 acres (6 ha) |
|Management||Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation|
|Website: Fall River Heritage State Park|
Fall River Heritage State Park is an 14-acre (5.7 ha) state park in Fall River, Massachusetts, USA. The park sits on the shoreline of the Taunton River next to the Charles M. Braga Jr. Memorial Bridge and across from the World War II battleship, the U.S.S. Massachusetts. The park is managed and maintained by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.
Activities and amenities
The park offers a visitors center, picnicking and wheelchair-accessible restrooms in addition to a .75-mile-long (1.21 km) boardwalk. The park's 3-acre (1.2 ha) meadow is used for picnicking, summer concerts, outdoor movies, and festivals such as the now-defunct Fall River Celebrates America. Located adjacent to the park are an antique carousel and the Battleship Cove community sailing program.
- Along the waterfront:
- Battleship Cove (5 Water Street) - The world's largest historic naval ship exhibit.
- Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum (2 Water Street) - A museum dedicated to the preservation of railroading in Fall River and New England.
- The Marine Museum at Fall River (70 Water Street) - A nautical museum with memorabilia, artifacts, and ship models of the Fall River Line (which operated between 1847 and 1937) and the RMS Titanic.
- Notable item: A 28' model of the RMS Titanic.
- Narrows Center for the Arts (16 Anawan Street) - A non-profit organization and 280-seat facility that hosts national and local performing and visual artists, musicians, writers and performers.
- Nearby State Parks/Reservations:
- "2012 Acreage Listing" (PDF). Department of Conservation and Recreation. April 2012. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Fall River Heritage State Park". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Healthy Heart Trails". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Fiore, Faust (November 29, 2012). "Identity Crisis". The Herald News (Fall River). Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Battleship Cove Community Boating Program". U.S.S. Massachusetts Memorial Committee. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "About Us". Battleship Cove. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum
- Narrows Center for the Arts
- Fall River Heritage State Park Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Park Directions Department of Conservation and Recreation