Falls Village, Connecticut
Falls Village District
|Area||70 acres (280,000 m2)|
|Architect||Lambert & Bunnell; Multiple|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne|
|NRHP Reference #||79002622|
|Added to NRHP||June 14, 1979|
Falls Village is a village and census-designated place in the town of Canaan in Litchfield County, Connecticut. Because Falls Village is the town center and principal constituent village in Canaan, the entire town is often referred to as "Falls Village." That usage also avoids confusion of the town with Canaan Village in the town of North Canaan, Connecticut, not far away.
In 1979 the Falls Village District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an historic district. The district represents about 70 acres (280,000 m2) that were built in the middle of the 19th century as a result of the area being selected as a station stop for the Housatonic Railroad in the early 1830s. Newer buildings around the junction of U.S. Route 7 and Route 126 are excluded.
The historic district includes examples of Greek Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne architecture. It includes 71 buildings and the canal built to harness water power from the Great Falls northwest of the village. The district is bounded on the south by the east-west portion of Railroad Street, on the east by the rear property lines of houses fronting Beebe Hill Road, on the north by the rear property lines of houses fronting Brewster Road, and on the west by the Housatonic Railroad tracks (with a bulge in the northwest to include the unused 1851 canal between Water Street and the railroad tracks).
Contributing properties in the historic district include the D. M. Hunt Library, built in 1891, and St. Patrick's Church.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Listing of Cities, Towns, Villages, and Boroughs in Connecticut, Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Falls Village, Connecticut
- Betty Tyburski. "Early Historical Highlights of the Town of Canaan (commonly known as Falls Village)". Town of Canaan. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 123.
- David F. Ransom (October 6, 1978). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Falls Village District". National Park Service. and Accompanying 20 photos, from 1978
- Town of Canaan, Falls Village, Connecticut - Official town website