False Kiva is a human-made stone circle of unknown origin in a cave in a remote area of the Canyonlands National Park, which is located in U.S. state of Utah. It requires some hiking knowledge or special directions to find.
Debate rages on whether to disclose the exact location of False Kiva as it enjoys a semi-protected status. While park rangers are required to disclose the location of the Class II site, it does not appear on official maps of the park. Because of the remoteness of the location, the site itself is not protected from vandalism of any kind.
However, local guides are available to take interested parties to the site, raising questions as to whether closely guarding the location of False Kiva is particularly effective.
The exact coordinates for False Kiva are occasionally divulged on forums, but GPS users should be aware that these exact directions can place hikers 500 feet directly above False Kiva on the rim of the canyon. The trailhead to False Kiva is not marked or signed from park roads, but the route itself is marked by cairns in several locations, and can be accessed without technical climbing equipment. 
A photograph of False Kiva by Wally Pacholka, entitled "A True Image of False Kiva," was featured on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) on September 29, 2008, giving an almost otherworldly view into the Milky Way.
- "False Kiva | Andre Gunther Photography". Aguntherphotography.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Canyonlnads_scouting". F-8andbethere.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.[dead link]
- "Dave Valvo". Dave Valvo. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Luminous Landscape Forum > Direction to False Kiva in Canyonlands?". Luminous-landscape.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.[dead link]
- "False Kiva? - Photo.net Nature Forum". Photo.net. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- Martres, Laurent. Photographing the Southwest, Volume 1: Southern Utah. ISBN 978-0916189129.
- "TWAN project official website". Twanight.org. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "APOD: 2008 September 29 - A True Image from False Kiva". Antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov. Retrieved 2010-03-16.