False Pretenses (1935 film)
Still with Betty Compson, Sidney Blackmer, and Irene Ware.
|Directed by||Charles Lamont|
|Produced by||George R. Batcheller|
|Written by||Ewart Adamson
|Cinematography||M. A. Anderson|
|Edited by||Roland D. Reed|
Chesterfield Motion Pictures Corp.
|Distributed by||Chesterfield Motion Pictures Corp.|
|Running time||68 minutes|
When Mary Beekman, Irene Ware, loses her waitress job, after a fight with her loutish boyfriend, trucker Mike O’Reilly, Edward Gargan, she almost loses her life, chasing the windblown pay check, over the guardrail of a bridge.
Socialite Kenneth Alden, Sidney Blackmer, catches her. He’s lost everything, which isn’t already mortgaged. Both down on their luck, they assume that the other is there to jump off the bridge.
Instead, Mary has an idea. If Ken sells shares to a syndicate of his wealthy friends, in a phoney beauty product, they’ll have enough money for some clothes to pass Mary off in society, long enough to meet and marry a wealthy bachelor. Then, they can pay everyone back, with interest.
The con might work, except that Ken has too much integrity to marry for money, to Clarissa, Betty Compson; and, Mary is beginning to see his point, when she falls for Pat, Russell Hopton, who has secrets of his own.
The plot boils over when Mike shows up to blow the lid off. There’s a police chase. Mary is hauled off to the station; and, someone gets socked in the jaw.
It looks like no one is going to end up with anything, but a bad reputation; but, it’s not over yet, in this curious, romantic comedy, about the social set, in 1930’s America, from Chesterfield films.
- Irene Ware - Mary Beekman
- Sidney Blackmer - Kenneth Alden (as Sydney Blackmer)
- Betty Compson - Clarissa Stanhope
- Russell Hopton - Pat Brennan
- Edward Gargan - Mike O'Reilly
- Ernest Wood - Tiffany Cortland
- Lucy Beaumont - Miss Milgrim
- Marshall Ruth - Gardner
- Dot Farley - Mrs. Smythe
- John Picorri - Soutar (as John Piccori)
- Herbert Clifton - Bleven
- William Humphrey - Newman (as William Humphries)
- Canby, Vincent. "New York Times: False Pretenses". NY Times. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- False Pretenses at the Internet Movie Database
- False Pretenses (1935), Rotten Tomatoes
- False Pretenses (1935), TCM.com