FamilyMart (ファミリーマート Famirīmāto ) TYO: 8028 is a Japanese convenience store franchise chain first opened in Japan on September 1, 1981. FamilyMart is Japan's third largest convenience store chain, behind 7-Eleven and Lawson, and the largest chain store in South Korea. FamilyMart is owned and overseen by FamilyMart Company, Limited. The main shareholder is Itochu with a stake of 35.55% Its headquarters is on the 17th floor of the Sunshine60 Building in Ikebukuro, Toshima, Tokyo.
FamilyMart's official motto is "FamilyMart, Where You Are One of the Family."
Growth and development
FamilyMart also has franchise stores in Philippines, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, China (Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Suzhou), United States and Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City ). In addition, South Korean franchisees operate two stores in North Korea for South Korean visitors and workers in the Kaesong Industrial Region and Mount Kumgang Tourist Region. As of August 31, 2009, there are 22,444 stores worldwide, with fast growth in Asia outside of Japan. There are 9,641 stores in Japan, 7,964 stores in South Korea, 2,864 stores in Taiwan, 998 stores in China, 913 stores in Thailand, 4 stores in Vietnam, 9 stores in the USA, 8 stores in Indonesia and 9 stores in Philippines.
Beginning in July 2005, FamilyMart began building and opening several stores in Los Angeles, California, the first of 250 planned for the United States by 2009. The North American brand name is "Famima!!".
On January 30, 2006, FamilyMart began trials of an automatic cashier station at one of its Tokyo locations in cooperation with Itochu and Toshiba. Special tags on items in the customer's shopping basket are remotely and instantly sensed at the register.
In November 2010, FamilyMart announced it would freeze the number of locations in the United States to 10 stores due to the difficult economic environment. However, operations in certain parts of Asia, especially China, continue to expand.
In June 2012, Family Mart in South Korea announced that from August that year they would be rebranding under the name CU.
FamilyMart was launched in the Philippines on April 7, 2013  under the ownership of Ayala Corporation, Rustan's Group and Itochu. Its first Philippine branch, opened on April 22, 2013, is located at the Glorietta 3 mall in Makati.
- Change in Largest Shareholder of FamilyMart Co., Ltd, September 2009
- "Company Information." FamilyMart. Retrieved on April 7, 2010.
- "FamilyMart joins 10,000 outlets in Japan club". The Japan Times. 16 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Topham, James (November 25, 2010). "FamilyMart to stay in US, China pace picks up, Reuters UK, November 25, 2010".
- "Rebranded Family Mart will CU Later". June 20, 2012.
- "FamilyMart to open store in the Philippines,FamilyMart Glorietta3 outlet ready to welcome its first customers". FamilyMart. April 5, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Ayala Land, Rustan's to bring in FamilyMart to challenge 7-Eleven, MiniStop; Japan's Family Mart firms up Philippine investment (News5)
- ファミリーマート、伊藤忠商事、AyalaグループとRustanグループの合弁会社“ＳＩＡＬ”の３社がフィリピンにおけるファミリーマートの展開で合弁契約を締結 (FamilyMart, Itochu, Ayala-Rustan's JV company "SIAL" join forces to launch FamilyMart in the Philippines) (FamilyMart)
- "FamilyMart stores top 10,000 in Japan". The Japan News. 17 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Yuasa, Izumi "DoCoMo tower runs on wind, sunlight September 15, 2004" "The Japan Times" Retrieved on September 26, 2012
- Tokyo Weekender Solar Convenience Stores May 9, 2012 Retrieved on September 26, 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to FamilyMart.|
- FamilyMart official homepage
- FamilyMart official homepage (Japanese)
- Famima USA homepage
- FamilyMart China homepage
- FamilyMart Korea homepage
- FamilyMart Taiwan homepage
- FamilyMart Thailand homepage
- News release (Japanese) on electronic tag trial