|Mixtape by Azealia Banks|
|Released||July 11, 2012|
|Azealia Banks chronology|
Fantasea is a mixtape by American hip hop recording artist Azealia Banks, released as a free download on July 11, 2012. She worked with a variety of producers including Machinedrum, Nick Hook, Hudson Mohawke, Eprom, Drums of Death, Munchi, Ikonika, Diplo and DJ Master D.
Word of Banks releasing her debut mixtape arose on May 10, when Banks posted via Twitter, "So y'all will be getting, 1991 EP this month, the FANTASTIC mixtape for the summer, and Broke With Expensive Taste, in the Fall". A release date for Fantastic, July 4, 2012, was first revealed the following week. On May 30, Banks took to Twitter again to announce her plans to alter the title of the mixtape from Fantastic to Fantasea. Banks released the album cover of "Fantasea" via Instagram on July 9. Banks later confirmed that Fantasea would have 18 tracks (15 originals and 3 remixes). Via Twitter Banks spoke on the mixtape saying "Fantasea is almost kind of a first album of sorts....but it happened by mistake.... It's weird". "This is a test run... I tried a lot of cool things... Sounds I thought were progressive, beats made by close friends, different flowsss."
Fantasea was critically acclaimed by music critics, who praised its eclectic range and Banks' versatility and delivery. Buzzinemusic.com said "Fantasea does perhaps fall short of a classic release, it's a mix and match affair that Banks herself states 'sort of happened by accident'. But for all of its loose threads this is a mix that sounds exactly as it should; a launch pad constructed of energy, intention and unquestionably prolific ideology, where unbridled creativity, not commercial perfectionism is key. It is a mixtape, not an album—the clue is in the name—and the mix is as every bit as colorful and engaging as you'd hope from the talent."
Popcrush.com gave the mixtape a positive review saying "On the collection, Banks spits braggadocios and salacious rhymes together over soundscapes that seamlessly meshes hip-hop and dance genres together." Pitchfork Media's Mark Hogan praised Banks' "sharp ear for Caribbean-inflected, rave-reminiscent electronic backing tracks" and stated "if, as she put it, Fantasea is a 'test run', then Banks passes with aquamarine colors... whether or not Banks wants to be known as an MC, many of Fantasea's best moments showcase her slang-wise verbal dexterity."
Other critics regarded the mixtape as a collection of songs that work to display the many facets of her personae, as well as the versatility of her delivery. They also felt "Esta Noche" was one of the highlights of the tape, praising Munchi's fusion of Montell Jordan's "Get It On Tonite" with electronic house music."
On May 11, 2012, Banks released the track "Jumanji" online as a free digital download. Produced by Hudson Mohawke and Nick Hook, the track served as the first song set to feature on the upcoming mixtape. A second track, "Aquababe"—produced by EPROM and Machinedrum—was released online on June 13. Ahead of its release on July 11, Banks released a third track, "Nathan" on June 30. Featuring American rapper Styles P, "Nathan" was produced by Drums of Death. Azealia spoke on the song Nathan saying "I'm that rap girl who's out here and doesn't have another rapper behind her, but she's got all this mouth and she's all over the place, So [this collaboration] was cool for me [because I'm like] 'What ya'll gonna say now, when I bust out with that Styles P record?' Ya'll not gon' call me fake and make fun of me for having one song. Yeah, I make lil' dance music and ya'll got jokes, whatever—watch when I come out with the Styles P record."
Through her Twitter account, Banks revealed that album consists of nineteen tracks, of which three are remixes. She has described the album as "a first album of sorts" and "a test run", writing, "I tried a lot of cool things [...] Sounds I thought were progressive, beats made by close friends, different flows". The full track listing was announced by Banks via her Twitter account on July 10, 2012.
|1.||"Out of Space"||Liam Howlett[a]||2:34|
|2.||"Neptune" (featuring Shystie)||Ikonika||3:57|
|5.||"Fuck Up the Fun"||Diplo, DJ Master D||2:25|
|6.||"Ima Read"||Zebra Katz[c]||1:02|
|7.||"Fierce"||Drums of Death[d]||3:14|
|9.||"Nathan" (featuring Styles P)||Drums of Death||3:24|
|11.||"Jumanji"||Hudson Mohawke, Nick Hook||2:55|
|12.||"Aquababe"||EPROM & Machinedrum||3:45|
- ^ The song "Out of Space" samples the track of the same name, originally by The Prodigy.
- ^ The song "Neptune" samples the track "Heston", originally by Ikonika
- ^ The song "Fantasea" samples the track "Fantastix", originally by Machinedrum.
- ^ The song "Ima Read" samples the track of the same name, originally by Zebra Katz featuring Njena Reddd Foxxx.
- ^ The song "Fierce" samples the track of the same name, originally by Drums of Death, it also samples Work It Girlfriend by Jack & Jill.
- ^ The song "Aquababe" samples the track "Regis Chillbin (Machinedrum Remix)", originally by Eprom
- ^ The song "Esta Noche" samples the track of the same name, originally by Munchi.
- ^ The song "Salute" samples the track of the same name, originally by AraabMuzik.
- "Azealia Banks "Fantasea" Tracklist & Cover Art". HipHop DX. June 25, 2012. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- "Azealia Banks gives away free 19-track mixtape 'Fantasea'". NME. IPC Media. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Azealia Banks confirms new mixtape, Fantastic, for Summer release". Digital Spy. 2012-05-10. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Azealia Banks to release Fantastic mixtape on July 4". prettymuchamazing.com. 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Azealia Banks changes title of mixtape". NME. IPC Media. 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "New Music: Azealia Banks f/ Shystie – 'Neptune'". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- Hogan, Mark (July 23, 2012). "Azealia Banks: Fantasea". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- "Music Review: Azealia Banks - 'Fantasea Mixtape'". buzzinemusic.com. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Azealia Banks Releases Free 'Fantasea' Mixtape". Popcrush.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Review: Azealia Banks - Fantasea". thenynthlife.com. 2012-07-17. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Azealia Banks debuts new track, "Jumanji"". Digital Spy. 2012-05-11. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Azealia Banks debuts new track, "Aquababe"". Digital Spy. 2012-06-13. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Azealia Banks releases catty "Nathan" artwork". idolator.com. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "New Music: Azealia Banks f/ Styles P – 'Nathan'". Rap-Up.com. 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "#Fantasea is 18 tracks long. 15 Azealia Banks originals and 3 remixes.". 2012-06-10. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "Fantasea is almost kind of a first album of sorts....but it happened by mistake.... It's weird.". Twitter. June 10, 2012. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "This is a test run... I tried a lot of cool things... Sounds I thought were progressive, beats made by close friends, different flowsss". Twitter. June 10, 2012. Retrieved June 10, 2012.