Far Eastern University Institute of Law
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2008)|
|Dean||Melencio S. Sta Maria, Jr., LL.M.|
|Location||Manila, Metro Manila,
|Campus||Far Eastern University|
|Affiliations||Philippine Association of Law Schools|
The Institute started operations in 1934 and is now one of the oldest law schools in the Philippines.
- Bachelor of Laws - is a re-engineered 4-year LlB Program which trains students to specialize in litigation. Classes in the LlB Program are conducted at N. Reyes St., Manila campus.
- Juris Doctor-Master of Business Administration Dual Degree - is one of the first graduate dual programs in law and business administration offered by the Far Eastern University Institute of Law together with the De La Salle Professional Schools-Ramon V. Del Rosario, Sr. Graduate School of Business (DLSPS). This 5-year dual degree program is offered on a trimestral basis at the RCBC Towers, Makati campus. It prepares students to approach problems from the perspectives of both a business executive and a lawyer and is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in the two disciplines.
The Institute is housed in the Law Building at Palaypay Conference Hall, with bar review rooms, academic Rooms, and a moot court. The JD-MBA holds classes in the fifth and twenty-fifth floors of RCBC Plaza in Makati City.
The recent survey conducted by Commission on Higher Education shows that the FEU JD-MBA is ranked 4 and the Institute of Law ranked 11 of the top 20 Law School in the Philippines.
- Artemio Panganiban - former Chief Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court; 6th placer, 1960 Bar Examinations, 1960 FEU Law Cum Laude and Most Outstanding Student
- Manuel G. Montecillo - 1st Placer, 1948 Bar Examinations, 95.50%
- Tomas P. Matic, Jr. - 1st Placer, 1955 Bar Examinations, 90.55%
- Agustin O. Benitez - 1st Placer, 1959 Bar Examinations, 89.20%
- Corazon Aquino - former President of the Philippines, former FEU Law student
- Jose Nolledo - Member, Philippine Constitutional Commission of 1986; Delegate, Philippine Constitutional Convention of 1971; 3rd placer, 1958 Bar Examinations
- Justice Oscar M. Herrera - Court of Appeals
- Carlos Felix Borromeo III - NBI Agent Batch 1988 to 89
- Eddie Ilarde - former Philippine Senator
- Wenceslao Lagumbay - former Philippine Senator
- Neptali Gonzales Jr. - former Majority House Leader of the House of Representatives of the Philippines, Mandaluyong Mayor, created the Rizal Technological University
- Edilberto Sandoval - Associate Justice of Sandiganbayan
- Roland Jurado - Associate Justice of Sandiganbayan
- Manuel Collantes - former Secretary of Foreign Affairs, former Ambassador to the United Nations, 1940 FEU Law Class
- Nestor Mantaring - Director, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)
- Edmundo Magpantay - State Prosecutor Department of Justice
- John Resado - State Prosecutor Department of Justice
- Samuel Ong - former Deputy Director, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)
- Sedfrey Ordonez - 1970 delegate to the Philippine Constitutional Convention, former Solicitor General and Secretary of Justice, former Ambassador to the United Nations, former Chairman of the Commission on Human Rights, 1946 FEU Law Class
- Flor L. Resurreccion- NBI Special Investigator III (1992-2005); Licensed Private Investigator-California, USA; Owner-Manager Sigma Investigation and Surveillance- California
- Eubulo Verzola - former Justice of the Court of Appeals, former Director of the Senate Public Information and Media Relations Office
- Fermin Martin Jr. - former Associate Justice of the Court of Appeals, 1955 FEU Law Class
- Jesus Elbinas - former Presiding Justice of the Court of Appeals
- Salome Montoya - Presiding Justice of the Court of Appeals, 1954 FEU Law Cum Laude, 6th placer, 1954 Bar Examinations
- John Choa - Ambassador-at-Large to the Territory of Guam, USA
- Agustin Benitez - former Dean of College of Law and Vice-president of the University of the East, 1st placer, 1959 Bar Examinations
- Wilfredo C. Andres, CPA - Assistant City prosecutor in Quezon City
- Ed Vincent Albano - Dean of College of Law at University of Perpetual Help; Law Professor at San Beda College of Law, Adamson University, Perpetual Help College of Law
- Arsenio Pascual Jr., MD, LL.B. - Lecturer in Medical Jurisprudence at the UP College of Law, Ateneo Law School, and FEU Institute of Law, a medical practitioner and lawyer, expert in forensic sciences and medical malpractice law
- Ophelia Balcos - first woman and first Asian to Chair the Human Rights Commission of the State of Minneapolis, USA
- Custodio Parlade - President Emeritus of the Philippine Dispute Resolution Centre
- Gerardo Espina Sr. - Member of the Consultative Commission on Charter Change
- Cleto T. Villatuya - former commissioner, National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC)
- Meynardo Bautista, Jr. - Chief Inquest Prosecutor in Quezon City
- Gina Lyn R. Rubio - private attorney, 5th placer, 2006 Bar Examinations, 2006 FEU Law Class Valedictorian
- Manuel J. Laserna Jr.- law professor and bar reviewer (1985-2006); 3rd placer, 1984 Bar Examinations (90.95%); trial lawyer; Bar leader; founder, past chair/pres., and consultant,Las Pinas City Bar Association (2001-present); managing partner of the Laserna Cueva-Mercader & Associates Law Offices (LCM Law, Las Pinas City); AB, Ll.B. (cum laude), Ll.M.; Cocofed law scholar (Ll.B.); FEU law scholar (Ll.M.); retired management executive and in-house legal counsel of the Philippine Coconut Producers Federation (1975-1994); past Director and Vice Pres., IBP PPLM Ch., 1995-2007; Independent Expert on Phil. laws and jurisprudence, International Center for Dispute Resolution (American Arbitration Association), New York City, USA.
- Myrna C. Mercader - law professor and bar reviewer (FEU, 1985-2006); law and business professor, University of Perpetual Help Rizal (since 2000); BSC Accountancy (magna cum laude), LL.B. (cum laude), certified public accountant, Doctor of Business Administration, and Ph.D. Economics; Central Bank scholar - MA Econ. and Ph.D. Econ.; co-founder and past chair/pres., Las Pinas City Bar Association (2001-2009); past Director and Auditor, IBP PPLM Ch., 1995-2007; partner, Laserna Cueva-Mercader & Associates Law Offices (LCM Law, Las Pinas City); retired Central Bank training executive (1974-1994); past Pres., BF Resort Village Homeowners Assn Inc., Las Pinas City; licensed real estate broker.
- Johnson A.H. Ong - law professor, private attorney, 10th placer, 2005 Bar Examinations (Negotiable Instruments)
- Amante A. Liberato - law professor Commission on Audit Officer, 5th placer, 1996 Bar Examinations (Obligations and Contracts)
- Edwin C. Yan - law professor, 6th placer, 1982 Bar Examinations; trial lawyer; former solicitor, Office of the Solicitor General. (Consti Law 1)
- Edwin R. Sandoval- Political Law Reviewer, suma cum laude, class valedictorian 1991, and a law professor in Arellano Faculty of Law, Adamson University Law and UST Faculty of Civil Law
E. Valderrama - law professor, international arbitrator, 12th placer, 1982 Bar Examinations. (ADR)
- Benedicto M. Gonzales Jr. - law professor, 19th placer, 1993 Bar Examinations, former Caloocan City councilor. (Admin Law)
- Viviana Martin-Paguirigan- associate dean, law professor 16th placer 1993 Bar Examinations (Succession, Civil Law Review)
- Official Website, Far Eastern University. Last accessed May 23, 2007.
- Official Website, De La Salle Professional Schools. Last accessed May 23, 2007.
- Official Website, Far Eastern University. Last accessed November 29, 2007.
- Official Website, De La Salle Professional Schools. Last accessed November 29, 2007.
- List of members, Far Eastern University Law Alumni Association, 2006.
- Far Eastern University Official Website
- FEU-La Salle JD-MBA Dual Program
- Online Community of Law Students and Lawyers in the Philippines
- The FEU TAMBayan