|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009)|
The Farm Collie is a herding dog, of collie type.The farm collie is being bred for more than their looks, seeking also clever and loyal dogs. People tend to use it as a home pet, help blind people and some breeders especially breed border collie for border protection. The term "Farm Collie" can have various definitions including:
- Any collie-like dog that lives on a farm.
- Any collie-like dog that does farm work such as herding, guarding and pest control.
- A dog of the Scotch Collie type that works livestock in a loose-eyed style.
- The remnants of the original Scotch Collie that lived and worked on farms in America from which the Australian Shepherd and English Shepherd breeds derived.
- A Rough Collie of old fashioned looks that does not meet current interpretations of breed standards.
There are different breeds of Collie, each often called simply Collie in their native countries:
The diversity of definitions means that a Farm Collie's looks can vary greatly, ranging from those of a Border Collie to those of a Rough Collie. There are no current registries that include Farm Collies for show purposes, the American Working Farmcollie Association registers Farm Collies based on working ability and merit.
In the 1860s, Queen Victoria fell in love with the breed when she visited the Scottish Highlands, and also Collies became very fashionable. In the 1960s, the Collies was much taller and bigger than it is today. Decades ago, old Collies were used for herding but they were replaced by Border Collies, it caused some Collies to lose their herding instinct.
Most people just think it as a herding dog but many are kept as family pets, they are friendly and perfectly with children.The Scotch dog is also friendly with every kind of dogs and even non-canine pets. .
Height: Males 53–61 cm (21–24 in) Females 48–56 cm (19–22 in) Weight: Males 21–32 kg (46–71 lb) Females 18–27 kg (40–60 lb)
The Collie needs as much exercise as big dogs need, they enjoy daily walking or jog. Mental stimulation in breeds like this is very important so games, training and some form of job (be that a sport or just helping around the house)are necessary. 
Collie is a healthy that only suffers from very tiny infected. Whereas HD is not a big concern.
In general, large, active hunting dogs traditionally kept in large packs in rural areas do not adapt well to being city or suburban pets.
The Scotch Collie is a very clean breed which generally doesn't have a doggy smell. In summer, they need their body coat brushed twice a week, teeth brushing and ear cleaning must be done once a week and their claws should be kept short.
- "What is a Farm Collie?". Gina Bisco. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "American Working Farmcollie Registered Dogs". American Working Farmcollie Association. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "Collie Club of Long Island". Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Scotch Collie". Dog Breed Info Center. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Rough Collie Dog Breed Profile". Petplanet. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Collie Puppies". INFORMED FARMERS. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Scotch Collie". Sarah's Dogs. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- What is a Farm Collie?
- Farm Collie definition
- American Working Farmcollie Association
- Farm Collie Mailing List