Farm to Market Road 1957
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length:||15.983 mi (25.722 km)|
|Existed:||1954 – present|
|West end:||FM 471 near Rio Medina|
| SH 211
Loop 1604 in San Antonio
SH 151 in San Antonio
|East end:||FM 3487 in San Antonio|
Farm to Market Road 1957 (FM 1957), is a Farm to Market Road in the U.S. state of Texas. Located in Medina and Bexar counties, the 15.983-mile-long (25.722 km) highway serves as an arterial street through the growing western suburbs of San Antonio. FM 1957 is known as Potranco Road within Bexar County, and is legislatively defined as Urban Road 1957 (UR 1957) east of Loop 1604.
The modern routing of this highway was originally defined in 1954. Since then, FM 1957's western terminus has been extended to FM 471 near Rio Medina, and the entire routing along Culebra Road was transferred to FM 3487. Before the current routing was established, FM 1957 was also the designation for a highway in Borden County from 1951 to 1954, now part of FM 1610.
FM 1957 begins at FM 471 near Rio Medina, as a two-lane country road. It then traverses mostly rural, undeveloped land, before reaching the Bexar–Medina county line, where it becomes Potranco Road. In far western Bexar County, Potranco Road travels through recently built, patchy, residential developments. Development becomes somewhat heavier after the highway passes State Highway 211 (SH 211), but FM 1957 still displays mostly rural characteristics until the highway reaches Loop 1604, at which point it enters the San Antonio city limits. Now five lanes wide, with two lanes in each direction and a center turn lane, the legislative definition of FM 1957 becomes UR 1957; however, Potranco Road remains signed as FM 1957.
The highway continues eastward, serving residential developments, commercial outlets, and John Paul Stevens High School. It intersects with SH 151, where development once again becomes patchy. The most notable development along this stretch of Potranco is a National Security Agency data center. State maintenance ends at an intersection with FM 3487 (Culebra Road), slightly west of Interstate 410 (I-410). Potranco Road continues as a city street until Ingram Road.
FM 1957 was formerly designated as a highway in Borden County, defined in 1951. This road traveled from U.S. Highway 180 near Gail to a nearby school, a distance of 8.5 miles (13.7 km). The former FM 1957 was combined with FM 1610 in 1954.
The present-day FM 1957 was defined in 1954. The original routing was along Culebra Road from its intersection with Grissom Road (FM 471) to Potranco Road, which it followed to the Medina County line, a distance of 13.8 miles (22.2 km). The highway gained a 0.1-mile (0.16 km) spur connection to Loop 13 (present-day I-410) in 1956. The following year, FM 1957 was extended to its present western terminus, at FM 471 near Rio Medina. This added 5.3 miles (8.5 km) to the highway. In 1988, the entire routing along Culebra Road was transferred to the newly created FM 3487. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) started defining urban roads in 1995, at which time the segment of FM 1957 east of Loop 1604, measuring 5.4 miles (8.7 km), was transferred to the newly defined UR 1957. Despite the change in legal definition, UR 1957 continues to be signed as FM 1957.
|Bexar||6.496||10.454||SH 211 south (Hill Country Parkway)|
|San Antonio||11.069||17.814||Loop 1604 (Charles W. Anderson Loop)|
|13.941||22.436||SH 151 (Raymond Stotzer Freeway)||Interchange|
|15.983||25.722|| FM 3487 (Culebra Road) to I‑410 (Connally Loop)
|Roadway continues past FM 3487 as Potranco Road|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Farm to Market Road No. 1957". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation.
- Google Inc. "Overview map of Farm to Market Road 1957". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Farm+to+Market+1957+E&daddr=Potranco+Rd&hl=en&sll=29.45193,-98.634868&sspn=0.018012,0.01457&geocode=FQ4WwQEdzhwb-g%3BFfJywQEdBPce-g&oq=San+Antoni&t=h&mra=ls&z=11. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- Staff (November 5, 2012). "San Antonio, Texas, USA". Earthshots: Satellite Images of Environmental Change. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Urban Road No. 1957". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Farm to Market Road No. 1610". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Farm to Market Road No. 3487". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Urban Road No. 3487". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012). Statewide Planning Map (Map). Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/travel/planning_map.htm. Retrieved October 15, 2012.