Farm to Market Road 24
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length:||5.056 mi (8.137 km)|
|Existed:||April 29, 1942 – present|
|South end:||SH 44 in Violet|
|Spur 407 in Corpus Christi|
|North end:||I-37 in Corpus Christi|
Farm to Market Road 24 (FM 24) is a Farm to Market Road in the US state of Texas. The roadway is located in Nueces County and passes residential and commercial areas in the communities of Violet, Annaville and Corpus Christi. FM 24 is locally known as Violet Road. The highway was first designated in April 1942.
FM 24 begins at its southern terminus with State Highway 44 (SH 44) in Violet. The highway then passes several farms before entering a residential area of Corpus Christi. It passes several neighborhoods churches, and the small Violet Park, before intersecting with Spur 407. The highway runs through a few neighborhoods, and some restaurants, before reaching the northern terminus at exit 11B on Interstate 37 (I-37). The highway is known as Violet Road throughout its course. The highway was used by 1,300 vehicles on average each day near Violet; near the I-37 interchange the traffic count was 13,400 vehicles daily. No section of FM 24 has been listed on the National Highway System, a network of roadways important to the country's economy, defense, and mobility.
The highway was designated on April 29, 1942, and was originally 9.5 miles (15.3 km) in length. The entire route was then cancelled on June 22, 1944, and redesignated as Farm to Market Road 53. The route was then redesignated back to its original name of FM 24 on May 23, 1951, but was only signed from SH 44 to Spur 447. The highway was then extended to its current northern terminus, Interstate 37, on September 5, 1973.
The entire route is in Nueces County.
|Violet||0.0||0.0||SH 44 – Violet||Southern terminus|
|Corpus Christi||4.7||7.6||Spur 407 – Corpus Christi|
|I-37 – Corpus Christi||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Highway Designation File: Farm to Market Road No. 24". Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2010). Official Travel Map (Map). Section JJ17, Corpus Christi Area inset.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – Overview map of Farm to Market Road 24 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=TX-44+E&daddr=Farm+to+Market+Rd+24+to:Violet+Rd+to:Violet+Rd&geocode=FerupwEdoK8u-g%3BFfZQqAEdBLAu-g%3BFYjlqAEdQPMu-g%3BFcbzqAEdygIv-g&abauth=34a5b56e:u9tI0T1AZfgalwswuMKh2naPcac&vps=2&ei=QWxvT7vGBqblwAHxpOyZAQ&jsv=402c&sll=27.809377,-97.601466&sspn=0.011217,0.013797&vpsrc=0&t=h&hl=en&mra=ls&num=10. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- Staff. "St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles Catholic Church". Corpus Christi, TX: St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles Catholic Church. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2010) (PDF). Corpus Christi District Traffic Map (Map). Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division. Sheets 8 and 9. http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/tpp/traffic_counts/2010/crp_base.pdf. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- Federal Highway Administration (May 2005) (PDF). National Highway System: Corpus Christi, TX (Map). http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/maps/tx_east/corpuschristi_tx.pdf. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- Adderly, Kevin (April 4, 2011). "The National Highway System". Planning, Environment, & Realty. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved March 25, 2012.