Farm to Market Road 407
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length:||29.792 mi (47.946 km)|
|Existed:||1951 – present|
|West end:||US 81 / US 287 in New Fairview|
| I‑35W in Northlake
US 377 in Argyle
|East end:||I‑35E / US 77 in Lewisville|
FM 407 begins in Wise County, at US 81 / US 287 in New Fairview. The route travels east into Denton County and into the city of Justin; FM 407 was the primary access route between the former US 77 and farms that were part of the original Icarian Colony, where the city of Justin now sits. In Justin the route is concurrent with US 377 for approximately four blocks. It crosses IH 35W in Northlake and US 377 in Argyle.
Near Bartonville at Country Club Road, FM 407 (locally known from this point as Justin Road) turns south before resuming an eastward path (however, as of 2014 construction is underway to re-route the road to the north, eliminating the required turns in either direction and the ensuing bottleneck during rush hour congestion similar to a re-route eliminated in 2012 near Lantana, as part of a widening to four lanes). It runs near the city limits of Double Oak, Copper Canyon, Flower Mound, and Highland Village, and is a major artery for new developments between the two forks of Interstate 35 just south of Denton. FM 407 then enters northern Lewisville, where state maintenance ends at an interchange with IH 35E.
A previous route numbered FM 407 was designated in Orange County from Orange north 2.3 miles in 1945. That routing was canceled in 1946, and it is unknown whether that route was constructed or signed.
The current designation of FM 407 has existed since 1951; the original routing was solely in Denton County, from FM 156 in Justin westward 2.6 mi (4.2 km). The route was extended to the Wise County line the following year, and into Wise County to an intersection with US 81 in 1953. The majority of the length of FM 407 was added in 1955, when it was extended into Lewisville; this extension usurped all of FM 1172 from FM 156 to FM 1830 and FM 1078 from south of FM 1830 at Bartonville to US 77, as well as the portion of FM 1830 from FM 407 south to Bartonville.
The TxDOT designation of the section of FM 407 between FM 1830 in Bartonville to IH 35E was officially changed to Urban Road 407 (UR 407) in 1995; nonetheless, as with other urban roads, TxDOT continues to sign the route using the traditional Farm Road marker.
|Wise||New Fairview||0.0||0.0||US 81 / US 287 – Rhome, Decatur||Western terminus|
|Denton||Justin||10.8||17.4||FM 156 south||West end of FM 156 concurrency|
|11.1||17.9||FM 156 north – Ponder||East end of FM 156 concurrency|
|Northlake||15.9||25.6||I‑35W – Denton, Ft. Worth|
|Argyle||17.9||28.8||US 377 – Denton, Flower Mound|
|Flower Mound||26.0||41.8||FM 2499 (Long Prairie Rd.) / Village Pkwy. – Highland Village|
|Lewisville||29.8||48.0||I‑35E / US 77 – Denton, Dallas||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Farm to Market Road No. 407". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 451. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/451.pdf. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Rondel V. Davidson. "Icarian Colony". Handbook of Texas Online. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 481. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/481.pdf. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Urban Road No. 407". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Google Inc. "Overview map of Farm to Market Road 407 Distances Between Interchanges". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Farm+to+Market+Rd+407+to:W+1st+St%2FFarm+to+Market+Rd+407+to:Farm+to+Market+156+N%2FFarm+to+Market+Rd+407+to:Farm+to+Market+Rd+407+to:Farm+to+Market+Rd+407+to:Farm+to+Market+Rd+407+to:Farm+to+Market+Rd+407%2FJustin+Rd+to:Farm+to+Market+Rd+407&hl=en&geocode=Ff4Q-QEdGLMw-g%3BFSIL-QEdMBgx-g%3BFRLV-AEd-GEz-g%3BFcLj-AEdQmMz-g%3BFawS-QEdSHc0-g%3BFcQV-QEdwP00-g%3BFZIi-QEdlMM1-g%3BFY6j-AEdJaA2-g%3BFVik-AEd3Zk3-g&mra=dme&mrcr=7&mrsp=8&sz=17&sll=33.072574,-97.021433&sspn=0.007975,0.016512&ie=UTF8&ll=33.05558,-97.23793&spn=0.255237,0.528374&z=12. Retrieved 2011-01-13.