||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: inline references are incorrectly formatted and do not show all of the required details. (September 2013)|
|Traded as||LSE: PFL|
|Key people||Val Gooding CBE, (Chairman)
Laurence Bain (CEO)
|Revenue||£952.0 million (2012)|
|Operating income||£96.0 million (2012)|
|Net income||£49.6 million (2012)|
Premier Farnell plc is a British distributor of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, maintenance and repair throughout Europe, North America and Asia Pacific with operations in 24 countries and trading in over 100. Premier Farnell is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
The company was founded by Alan Farnell and Arthur Woffenden in 1939 in Leeds under the name of A.C. Farnell Limited. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1966. The company was located next to the Wetherby railway station: as it grew it moved into larger offices on the town's Sandbeck Industrial Estate, and then in 1995, into offices in Armley.
In 1995 it acquired Combined Precision Components. As it focused on distribution, its manufacturing operations were sold the same year. In 1996 it went on to buy the Premier Industrial Corporation, a leading United States distributor, and in doing so changed its name to Premier Farnell.
In 2001 Premier Farnell went on to acquire Buck & Hickman, a company which it subsequently went on to sell in 2007. Premier Farnell announced in 2006 the completed sale of Kent, its specialist automotive consumables business.
In 2007 the group launched its Greater China business, Premier Electronics, with the opening of a new warehouse and distribution centre in WaiGaoQia.
Towards the end of 2008 Premier Farnell began the closure of Cadillac Electric (part of the group's Industrial Products Division). During the course of 2008 Premier Farnell also acquired Hynetic Electronics, an Indian distributor, and in early 2009 Premier Farnell went on to acquire Microdis Electronics, an electronics distributor based in Poland.
The Premier Farnell group trades globally under the following company names:
- Farnell element14 in the UK and Europe
- element14 in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, China and Singapore
- Newark element14 in the United States, Canada and Mexico
- MCM Electronics in the United States
- Farnell-Newark in Brazil
- Combined Precision Components (CPC) in the UK
- Akron Brass, North America
- TPC Wire and Cable, North America
Premier Farnell stocks 500,000 products across its regional warehouses.
The group are part of the FTSE4Good Index of Corporate and Social Responsibility and are also a Gold status member participating in the Business in The Community (BiTC) Corporate Responsibility Index - a group of over 800 UK companies who are committed to having a positive impact on the environment and society.
- ECMOD Direct Commerce Award for the best online business B2B 2012 
- BiTC Corporate Responsibility Index – Platinum status 2012 
- Ethisphere Institute – Worlds Most Ethical Companies List 2012 
- Preliminary Results 2012
- "Our Company -what we do". Premier Farnell. 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Premier Farnell: History
- Farnell: Armley office workers give school makeover
- £1.9bn Premier buy to propel Farnell into Footsie
- Premier Farnell Strengthens Group with Buck & Hickman Acquisition
- Premier Farnell sells one of its businesses
- Disposal of the Kent Division
- Premier Farnell heads East with launch of new China business
- Premier Farnell Annual Report & Acoounts 2009
- Premier Farnell acquires assets of Hynetic Electronics
- Premier Farnell signs agreement to acquire part of Microdis Electronics in line with its the growth strategy for Eastern Europe
- Acquisition of CadSoft Computer GmbH
- Premier Farnell: Profile
- Raspberry Pi sales fail to turn around Premier Farnell’s luck by Oliver Smith in City A.M., 20 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013. Archived here.
- Premier Farnell: Awards
- ECMOD Direct Commerce Award Winners direct commerce, March 28, 2012
- Premier Farnell retains Business in the Community Platinum status for third year running Contact Center Solutions, March 19, 2012
- Premier Farnell retains Business in the Community Platinum status for third year running Electronics Sourcing Online, March 19, 2012