Farningham Road railway station
Viewed from the west
|Local authority||Borough of Dartford|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|3 December 1860||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Farningham Road from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Farningham Road railway station is on the Chatham Main Line, and serves the villages of Sutton-at-Hone, South Darenth and to a lesser extent, Horton Kirby all in north Kent, in south east England. Train services are provided by Southeastern. It was 150 years old in December 2010
The ticket office, on the 'up' side, is situated in the substantial station building. This is manned only during part of the day; at other times a PERTIS passenger-operated ticket machine issues 'Permits to Travel' - which are exchanged on-train or at manned stations for travel tickets - and is located on the Swanley-bound platform
Farningham Road Station is 20 miles and 14 chains (33.03 km, 20.525 mi) from London Victoria, according to the mileage sign on the footbridge. The railway line was electrified as part of Southern Railway's "Maidstone & Gillingham Electrification" scheme of July 1939 
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Chatham Main Line
Gravesend West Line
The station is non-smoking, as are all of Southeastern's trains and stations. On 6 August 2008 two youths threw a woman onto the rail tracks after she had asked them to stop smoking. Despite CCTV coverage of the station, police initially struggled to identify the assailants; however after further analysis two suspects were arrested almost a week later. One was released without charge, while another, was charged with grievous bodily harm. Ionel Rapisca pleaded not guilty, but was found guilty and sentenced to four years; an appeal was unsuccessful.
- "Electric Railways". 'Stendec Systems'. 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- "Farningham Road". Kent Rail. 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "Vandal fear over unmanned station". BBC News Online. 2007-05-14. Retrieved 2007-05-14.
- "London station is most vandalised". BBC News Online. 2007-01-05. Retrieved 2007-01-05.
- "Youths throw woman on rail tracks". BBC News Online. 2008-08-06. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "CCTV setback in rail attack hunt". BBC News Online. 2008-08-08. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "Two arrests over railway attack". BBC News Online. 2008-08-13. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "Man charged over railway incident". BBC News Online. 2008-08-23. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- "Man denies rail smoke row attack". BBC News Online. 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Kent commuter 'pushed on to railway track'". BBC News Online. 2010-02-22. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "Man 'laughed after pushing woman on to Kent rail track'". BBC News Online. 2010-02-24. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "Smoker jailed after Farningham Road railway push". BBC News Online. 2010-03-03. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "Man who pushed woman on to railway in Kent loses appeal". BBC News Online. 2010-08-29. Retrieved 2010-09-29.