|Motto||Ora et Labora (Pray and Work)|
|Calicut University, A Grade (Accredited By NAAC)|
|Location||Feroke, Calicut, Kerala, India|
Farook College is an arts and science college located in Kozhikode, Kerala, India. It is the largest residential post-graduate institution affiliated with the University of Calicut. Established in 1948, Farook College offers various arts and science programs at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The college was re-accredited at ‘A’ Grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The college has been identified by the University Grants Commission of India as a College with Potential for Excellence, the only college under Calicut University to receive the status.
The college is located on a hillock originally called 'Irumooli Paramba' 5 km from Feroke Railway Station and 16 km from the city of Calicut and at a distance of 16 km from the Calicut Airport. The entire campus comprising the college, its hostels, the staff quarters and its sister concerns covers an area of 70 acres. The entire village is popularly called 'Farook College' and has a post office called Farook College Post.
The back of the campus is scenically located by banks of the river Chaliyar. There is a ferry service across river to Elamaram village which can be accessed from the nearby town of Edavannappara. The ticket is Rs.5.00 and the motor boat service is available every half an hour between 6.40 a.m. and 8.40 p.m. including Sundays.
Founded in 1948, Farook College was envisioned by Moulavi Abussabah Ahmed Ali as part of efforts to uplift the Muslim community from social and educational backwardness. Moulavi Abussabah Ahmed Ali was the President of the Rouzathul Uloom Association, which established Farook College. The first institution, the 'Rouzathul Uloom Arabic College' was started in 1942 in Anakkayam. In 1946 a committee was formed with the intention of starting a first grade college, whose efforts culminated in the formation of Farook college.
Under Graduate Courses Offered
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in Malayalam
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology.
- Bachelor of Arts in Arabic & Islamic History
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Statistics
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Botany
- Bachelor of Science in Zoology
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Commerce (Computer Application)
- Bachelor of Arts in Functional English
- Bachelor of Multimedia Communication (BMMC)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLiSc- Eligibility: Pass in any UG)
Post Graduate Courses Offered
- Master of Arts in English
- Master of Arts in Arabic
- Master of Arts in Economics
- Master of Arts in History
- Master of Science in Mathematics
- Master of Science in Statistics
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Physics
- Master of Science in Chemistry
- Master of Science in Zoology
- Master of Commerce
- Master of library and Information Science ( MLiSc)
- Master of Communication and Journalism
Sports & Games
The college provides opportunities to play Football, Hockey, Cricket, Tennis, Table Tennis, Handball, Softball, Baseball, Volley Ball and Badminton. In addition, participation in Athletics is also encouraged. The Physical Education Council, which consists of the members of the staff Advisory Committee, and the team captains arrange and organise the sports activities. Facilities are provided in the Kunhali Markar Indoor Stadium, the Football field, the Tennis court and the Basketball court to recognize talent and nurture it to fulfilment. A number of trophies have been set up to encourage active participation in sports. The Farook college was the Champions of the Prestigious Calicut University Inter College Badminton tournament for a succession of 10 years and the college has produced various international and national level players like Diju.V, Arun Vishnu, Midhilesh Sunder etc… in badminton.
- "Official website of Calicut University - Kozhikode". Universityofcalicut.info. 2013-08-05. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- "Official website of Calicut University - Farook-KOZH". Universityofcalicut.info. 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2013-08-18.