Fashion Rocks was an annual international charity fundraiser event which features fashions by the world's top designers being presented to live performances by popular music acts.
The inaugural event was held at the Royal Albert Hall on October 15, 2003. Seventeen designers presented that night, including Donatella Versace and Alexander McQueen, with Björk, Jane's Addiction, Beyoncé, Robbie Williams, Grace Jones, Milla Jovovich, Blue and Duran Duran being among the performers. Proceeds went to The Prince's Trust, which totalled £1-million.
In 2004 Avril Lavigne performed along with John Rzeznik the mega-hit "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Other performers included Alicia Keys, Beyoncé, Usher with Dave Navarro, and the Pussycat Dolls along Marc Almond.
The second such event for the Prince's Trust was held on October 17, 2005 at the Grimaldi Forum in Monte Carlo and was sponsored by Swarovski. Hosted by Jerry Hall, a dozen designers presented that night, including Alexander McQueen, Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabbana, Giorgio Armani, Prada, Roberto Cavalli, Versace and Vivienne Westwood. Musical guests included Blondie, Craig David, Amerie, Mariah Carey, Bon Jovi, Jamie Cullum and Róisín Murphy.
That same year, Condé Nast held an identically-named event on September 8 at Radio City Music Hall which kicked off New York Fashion Week. Among the performers that night were David Bowie, Gwen Stefani, Duran Duran, Alicia Keys, Tim McGraw, Shakira, Nelly, Billy Idol, Arcade Fire and Destiny's Child (in their last televised appearance as a group). Proceeds from the night went to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts
In 2006, Elton John hosted the event, with proceeds to go to the Elton John AIDS Foundation. Among the performers were Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Christina Aguilera, The Black Eyed Peas, and Nelly Furtado.
The 2007 event featured performances from artists such as Aerosmith, Avril Lavigne, Mary J. Blige, Usher, Jennifer Hudson, Santana, Alicia Keys, Carrie Underwood, Lily Allen, Sugababes, Maroon 5, Róisín Murphy and Jennifer Lopez.
The 2008 event was hosted by Denis Leary and featured Ciara, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Miley Cyrus, Beyoncé, Mariah Carey, Natasha Bedingfield, Fergie, Kid Rock&Lynyrd Skynyrd(performed together), Keith Urban, Duffy, the Pussycat Dolls and The Black Eyed Peas. Proceeds went to Stand Up To Cancer.
The 2009 event took place in Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, presenting designers such as Riccardo Tisci, Lenny Niemeyer, Calvin Klein, Lino Villaventura, André Lima, Marc Jacobs, Alexandre Herchcovitch and Donatella Versace. The event was hosted by model Fernanda Lima and rapper Diddy. Musical guests performing at the event included Mariah Carey, Wanessa, Ja Rule, Diddy-Dirty Money, Daniela Mercury, Grace Jones, Estelle, Ciara and Stop Play Moon.
- "Getting Their Fashion Rocks Off!". NME. 2003-10-16. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Naomi West (2005-10-17). "Retail therapy: Fashion Rocks". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Star World's musical extravaganza on New Year's Eve". www.indiantelevision.com. 2005-12-28. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Star-studded lineup set for Fashion Rocks". www.mlive.com. 2005-08-10. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Brian Orloff (2005-09-09). "Bowie, Keys Dress Up". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Glenn Gamboa (2006-09-06). "Elton, stars shine.". Newsday. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Farrah Weinstein (2006-09-08). "Beyonce, Jay-Z, Christina Put The Rock in Fashion Rocks Concert". MTV News. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Glenn Gamboa (2007-09-07). "'Fashion Rocks' not such a good fit". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Condé Nast Media Group Announces Denis Leary Will Host FASHION ROCKS(TM) 2008 at Radio City Music Hall". Forbes. 2008-07-29. Retrieved 2008-10-14.[dead link]
- Erin Carlson (2008-09-06). "Timberlake, Cyrus Among The Stars At Fashion Rocks". Citytv. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Condé Nast Media Group Celebrates the Fifth Anniversary of Fashion Rocks(TM) at Radio City Music Hall(R)". marketwatch.com. 2008-07-22. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Atrações". Oi Fashion Rocks Brasil. 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- "Fernanda Lima apresentará o Oi Fashion Rocks, diz jornal". EGO. 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "Diddy e Ciara virão ao Fashion Rocks". Rolling Stone Brasil. 2009-09-15. Retrieved 2009-10-18.