Fat Princess logo
Fun Bits Interactive
SuperVillain Studios (PSP)
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Engine||Quark Engine (in-house)|
|Release date(s)||PlayStation 3
|Genre(s)||Action real-time strategy, MOBA|
|Distribution||Digital distribution, UMD, Blu-Ray Disc|
Fat Princess is a action real-time strategy video game for the PlayStation 3, developed by Titan Studios and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released in North America and Europe on July 30, 2009, and in Japan on December 25, 2009. It was included on the "Best of PlayStation Network Vol. 1" compilation disc, released June 18, 2013. A PSP version called Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake was released in 2010.
Fat Princess is primarily a multiplayer game for up to 32 players, with the basic goal of rescuing the Princess and bringing her back to the team's base. The players pick up and carry cakes to feed the Princess, which makes her heavier and harder for the enemy to carry back to their own castle. The game contains six character classes (Villager, Worker, Priest, Ranger, Mage, and Warrior) and three downloadable classes (Pirate, Ninja and Giant) each of which contributes to the team's task of capturing the princess in a unique way.
In Fat Princess, players play as team members. There are two teams, red and blue, with up to 12 members each (24 players at total). To make their opponents' task more difficult, players can feed the captive princess cake slices. With each slice, she becomes heavier and harder to carry back to her respective castle. Over time, the effect of the cake wears off.
Players can change their character classes and abilities by picking up hats that are generated by the hat machines at their team's castle. Hats can also be found on the warzone where enemies have fallen. The game's six classes are the Villager, Priest, Mage, Warrior, Ranger, and Worker with three additional classes (Pirate, Ninja, and Giant) from Fat Roles add-on pack. Each class has its own unique set of abilities and skills, and different amount of health. When damage is taken, the health level is reduced and all classes except giant can sit to eat cake in order to restore health. The three classes from Fat Roles add-on pack do not come from hat machines, instead they come from a magic hat. Players can pick up this hat and press ('Triangle') to switch between the three classes.
Players can also upgrade hat machines, and construct fortifications and siege equipment using resources like woods and ores, which can be gathered from various locations on each map. Upgrades provide alternative weapons or attacks to each class. The three classes that do not come from hat machines cannot be upgraded, but they have magic points that will accumulate as time goes and once the bar is full, they can use special abilities. Pirates can fire cannonballs, Ninjas can turn invisible, and Giants can eat enemies.
Other interactive objects are bombs, potions that turn players into chickens when thrown, and torches that most classes can use to ignite their weapons to do additional damage.
There are several modes featured in this game:
- Legend of the Fat Princess
- This is the story mode. It contains seven chapters and six levels, comprising all the other modes.
- Rescue the Princess
- This is the main mode of the game. The main objective is to rescue the princess from the opposing team's castle, while simultaneously keeping the enemy's princess imprisoned in their own castle.
- Team Deathmatch
- The objective is to kill members of the opposing team. The first team to reduce the opposing team's life to zero is the winner. No princess to rescue in this mode.
- The objective of this mode is to capture outposts. As soon as a team controls 50% of all outposts, the opposing team's counter will start to count down. The first team to have their counter reach zero, loses.
- Snatch 'n Grab
- This mode is very similar to Rescue the Princess. However, instead of rescuing the princess, both teams already have their princesses in their castle at the beginning of the game. The objective is to kidnap the opposing team's princess and imprison her. As soon as the enemy's princess is put in the dungeon, she will disappear and re-spawn in her castle. The first team to kidnap and imprison the opposing team's princess three times is the winner.
- Queen's Rule
- This is a special mode that is only available in soccer map. As soon as this map is selected, the game mode will automatically switch to this mode. There is no princess and hat machines in this mode. Occasionally, hats, bombs, and resources will drop from the sky. The objective of this mode is to put the soccer ball into the opposing team's goal post. The team with more goals at the end of the game wins.
- In this mode, the player plays solo instead of being in a team most of the time. The player choose a hat at the beginning and they will stay in that class throughout the game. There are 12 rounds to win, and some rounds introduce new enemies.
- Mars, Deborah (2009-07-27). "Fat Princess: Worth the Weight (Here’s the Date)". PlayStation Blog. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- "Best of PlayStation Vol. 1".
- IGN: Fat Princess Preview