||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (July 2012)|
Fatpaint is a free, online (web-based) graphic design and desktop publishing software product and image editor. It consists of integrated tools for creating: page layout, painting, coloring and editing pictures and photos, drawing vector images, using dingbat vector clipart, writing rich text, creating ray traced 3D text logos, and displaying graphics on products from Zazzle that can be purchased or sold. Fatpaint integrates desktop publishing features with brush painting, vector drawing and custom printed products in a single Flash application. It supports the use of a pressure sensitive pen tablet and allows the user to add images to the project by searching on Wikimedia, Picasa, Flickr, Google, Yahoo, Bing and Fatpaint's own collection of public domain images. The completed project can be saved on Fatpaint's server or your own computer.
Fatpaint was launched in May 2010, after five years of development by Danish-Brazilian software developer, Mario Gomes Cavalcanti. Mario Gomes Cavalcanti, the CEO, graduated as Object Oriented Software Developer and worked in the computer games industry. After his departure, he has been involved in the development of two of Denmark's most visited websites and is now responsible for developing and running Fatpaint and all its system. Kenneth Christensen, who is the partner of the software, mastered assembler and graphics programming on the Amiga computer. He spent years with Mario being active on Amiga demo scene.He is also the founder and director of Mediator Systems ApS. According to the CEO, Kenneth helped him with the Linux servers while he himself has been doing all the development, administration, promotion, video production, testing and content. Fatpaint is aimed at giving people the tools for creative graphics design and getting themselves customized products with their graphics printed on it. The products can be sold to consumers all over the world.
The founder of Fatpaint also created MakeWebVideo.com, which is a web application for creating video presentations for business, families and individuals. It is similar to Fatpaint that it allows users to give out the videos for personal or business use in a simple and affordable way.
Fatpaint is affiliated with Zazzle, the only on-demand retail platform to offer billions of products that are mostly produced within 24 hours. Users can search images from Wikimedia, Piscasa, Flickr, Bing, Yahoo and Google as well.
Fatpaint provides free online logo maker, graphic design, vector drawing, photo editor and paint design in three different languages, English, Danish and Portuguese.
Users can change photo colours by manipulating R,G,B and A channels, saturation, contrast, brightness, hue, gamma, sharpness, tint and RGBA matrix. Users can also remove unwanted background and other artifacts by using the paint tools with added effects or by using clone painting. Multiple photos can be combined into a single image that users can pick different blend modes and multiple layers. Users can also extract or change parts of the photo by cropping, resizing, skewing, bending, distorting and rotating in 2D and 3D. Hence, users' graphics can be printed on custom products that can be bought and sold for personal and business purposes.
Users can choose from 5000 vector images or draw vector graphics and art from scratch, using the Fatpaint's vector shape creation tools. It also provides advanced symmetric vector transformation in 2D and 3D as well as support for colour gradients. Multiple drawings can be combined to form complex vector shapes that different blend modes and effects are supported. The vector drawings can also be cropped, resized, skewed, distorted and rotated in 2D and 3D. Similar to Fatpaint's photo editor, vector graphics can also be displayed on custom printed products that can be purchased can sold by the users as personal or business uses.
Fatpaint has full support for Pen Tablets and users can pick pen, brush, airbrush, paint bucket, clone painting, eraser and smudging tools. There are 8 palettes for painting, plus 13 palettes when clone painting. Fatpaint allows users to import or create their own brushes while it also provides thousands of free clipart's and brush sets that have dynamic brushes, effects and different blend modes. The paintings can also be combined in different layers and objects that users can choose among thousands of free images to use as textures or the starting point of the project. Similarly, paintings can be cropped, resized, skewed, bent, distorted and rotated in 2D and 3D. Moreover, the graphics and be displayed on custom printed products which users can buy or sell for personal or business uses.
- 3D Text objects: Create photorealistic, ray-traced 3D text logos and images.
- Image objects: Paint on multiple layers, import or create your own brushes, clone painting, and painting with effects.
- Vector drawing objects: Create vector images using multiple paths.
- Text objects: Write "rich text" and choose among 981 fonts.
- Effect objects: Blur, Drop Shadow, Glow, Gradient Glow, Bevel, Gradient Bevel, Color manipulations.
- Page layout: Create multiple pages with a size limit of 64 megapixels, and arrange graphical objects on created pages (each object can be up to 7.8 megapixels in size).
- It is possible to place graphical objects inside each another and transform them into 2D and 3D. The user can also skew, bend, and distort images and text.
- The application allows the user to design, purchase, and sell custom-printed products, while Fatpaint sends the user's graphics to a printing company.
- Pressure-sensitive pen tablets can be used with the application.
- Fatpaint consists of a large number of fonts, public domain images, cliparts, and brushes.
Fatpaint is owned by start-up company Mersica (also the developer of MakeWebVideo.com).
- Duffy, Jill (June 21, 2011). "Fatpaint Review & Rating". PC Magazine.
- "Fatpaint: Advanced Image Editing, Vector & Paint Application". MakeUseOf. December 3, 2010.
- "FatPaint: Free Online Drawing, Painting, and DTP Software". I Love Free Software. November 23, 2010.
- "Fatpaint". PcWorld. May 12, 2011.
- "Fatpaint". Rtp (Portuguese public service tv-station). January 22, 2011.
- "Interview with Founder of Fatpaint", doeswhat, April 7, 2011.
- "Mario Gomes Cavalcanti". Crunch Base. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- "INTERVIEW WITH MARIO CAVALCANTI (FATPAINT)". doeswhat. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Make a video online". Fatpaint.com. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Image and Photo Editing Features of our Graphic Design Software, Fatpaint". Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Vector Drawing features of our Graphic Design Software, Fatpaint". Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Paint and Picture Coloring Features of our Graphic Design Software, Fatpaint". Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Free Graphic Design & Painting Software". Pro Digital Tips. December 20, 2010.
- "Two Best Free Online Vector Editing Tool". CallingAllGeeks. May 3, 2011.
- "Full-service online graphic design & photo editor- buy or sell your creations". Free Internet Apps. April 20, 2011.
- Mersica Inc (2012). "Create an amazing video presentation, easily!". Make Web Video. Mersica Inc. Retrieved 10 July 2012.