Faulk County, South Dakota
|Faulk County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Andrew Jackson Faulk|
|• Total||1,006 sq mi (2,605 km2)|
|• Land||1,000 sq mi (2,590 km2)|
|• Water||6 sq mi (14 km2), 0.55%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
- Edmunds County, South Dakota - north
- Spink County, South Dakota - east
- Hand County, South Dakota - south
- Hyde County, South Dakota - southwest
- Potter County, South Dakota - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,640 people, 1,014 households, and 708 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,235 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 99.47% White, 0.08% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.04% Asian, and 0.27% from two or more races. 0.23% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 65.0% were of German, 6.2% American and 5.2% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 1,014 households out of which 28.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.40% were married couples living together, 3.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.10% were non-families. 29.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the county, the population was spread out with 26.60% under the age of 18, 5.40% from 18 to 24, 23.10% from 25 to 44, 22.00% from 45 to 64, and 22.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 99.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,237, and the median income for a family was $34,508. Males had a median income of $25,085 versus $16,346 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,660. About 12.60% of families and 18.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.60% of those under age 18 and 7.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Chelsea (Population:27)
- Cresbard (Population:104)
- Faulkton (Population:736)
- Onaka (Population:15)
- Orient (Population:63)
- Rockham (Population:33)
- Seneca (Population:38)
The county is divided into twenty eight townships: Arcade, Bryant, Centerville, Clark, Devoe, Ellisville, Elroy, Emerson, Enterprise, Fairview, Freedom, Hillsdale, Irving, Lafoon, Latham, Myron, O'Neil, Orient, Pioneer, Pulaski, Saratoga, Seneca, Sherman, Tamworth, Thirteen, Union, Wesley, and Zell.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 124.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Potter County||Spink County|
|Hyde County||Hand County|