Faversham and Mid Kent (UK Parliament constituency)
|Faversham and Mid Kent|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Faversham and Mid Kent in Kent for the 2010 general election.
Location of Kent within England.
|Electorate||68,521 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Faversham and Shepway, Maidstone|
|Member of Parliament||Hugh Robertson (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
1997-2010: The Borough of Swale wards of Abbey, Boughton, Courtenay, Davington Priory, East Downs, St. Ann's, Teynham and Lynsted, and Watling; and the Borough of Maidstone wards of Bearsted, Boxley, Detling, Harrietsham and Lenham, Headcorn, Hollingbourne, Langley, Leeds, Park Wood, Shepway East, Shepway West, Sutton Valence, and Thurnham.
2010-present: The Borough of Swale wards of Abbey, Boughton and Courtenay, Davington Priory, East Downs, St Ann’s, and Watling; and the Borough of Maidstone wards of Bearsted, Boughton, Monchelsea and Chart Sutton, Boxley, Detling and Thurnham, Downswood and Otham, Harrietsham and Lenham, Headcorn, Leeds, North Downs, Park Wood, Shepway North, Shepway South, and Sutton Valence and Langley.
Faversham and Mid Kent covers sections of the Swale and Maidstone boroughs. The constituency includes the easternmost outlying residents of the county town, Maidstone. This caused minor confusion among a large minority of residents of the Maidstone electoral wards when the boundaries were first changed in 1997 as a constituency named Maidstone and The Weald was also created at the same time (largely replacing the former Maidstone constituency), but residents in the Shepway and Park Wood areas of the town found themselves in Faversham and Mid Kent instead.
In 1997 this constituency was formed when the previous Faversham seat was abolished and split into Sittingbourne and Sheppey and the town of Faversham which was then merged with Mid Kent to form this constituency. In 2012 the Boundary Commission proposed the complete abolition of the constituency, with the town of Faversham and surrounding villages being included in a redrawn Canterbury constituency, and the remainder absorbed into neighbouring constituencies.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Faversham and Mid Kent|
|General Election 2010: Faversham and Mid Kent|
|Liberal Democrat||Dave Naghi||9,162||19.6||+2.9|
|National Front||Graham Kemp||542||1.2||N/A|
|Monster Raving Loony||Hairy Knorm Davidson||398||0.9||-0.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Faversham and Mid Kent|
|Liberal Democrat||David Naghi||7,204||16.5||+3.0|
|Monster Raving Loony||Norman Davidson||610||1.4||+1.4|
|General Election 2001: Faversham and Mid Kent|
|Liberal Democrat||Mike Sole||5,529||13.5||+1.1|
|Rock 'n' Roll Loony||Norman Davidson||600||1.5||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Faversham and Mid Kent|
|Liberal Democrat||Bruce Parmenter||6,138||12.4||N/A|
|Referendum Party||Robin Birley||2,073||4.2||N/A|
|Monster Raving Loony||Norman Davidson||511||1.0||N/A|
|Green Referendum Lawless Naturally Street Party||Caroline Morgan||115||0.2||N/A|
|Natural Law||Nigel Pollard||99||0.2||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Article on 1997 election in the Kent Messenger, 6 May 1997
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "F" [self-published source][better source needed]
- "UKIP in Faversham and Mid-Kent elect candidate for 2015 Read more: http://www.canterburytimes.co.uk/UKIP-Faversham-Mid-Kent-elect-candidate-2015/story-20459053-detail/story.html#ixzz2uSmcjPJ8". Canterbury Times. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- UK Polling Report Website
- "Official Monster Raving Loony Party". Retrieved 30 December 2009.
- UK Independence Party
- National Front
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)